MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 05-09-05, 01:04

Default FS knife. Please help me with mystery sheath?

Hi guys,

I just bought a nice but worn FS knife. I paid $45 Canadian dollars for it which is about $38 US dollars.

'England' stamped on the hilt. Its sheath is not the typical sheath but looks WW2 in its age and fits like a glove. The strap on the sheath keeps the hilt from moving perfectly. As well the leather looks like WW2 era leather that I have seen on other sheaths. Anyway, does anyone know anything about this sheath? Maybe it was made for Canada or the US para or Commandos? Devil's Brigade? (I wish). There are no markings that I can see on the sheath, except the button clasp has "h K*T*" stamped in a circluar pattern on it.

Here is a picture of the knife. Please let me know what you all think about the sheath.
Old 07-09-05, 07:01

Default Knife

If I'm not mistaken the Knife is called A Fairburn. It was developed by a british gent retired Singapore police chief
circa 1940 give or take a bit
Patrick
Old 07-09-05, 09:23

Default FS knife

Looks a standard Commando issue. Stud on top of hilt for denting heads. If you google "Commando knives" or "military knives" there are a number of sites showing exampes and information. pete
Old 07-09-05, 13:07

Default sheath

Hi Guys,

I know it is a Commando Fairbairn-Skyes knife, but question really is about the sheath. It is not your typical FS sheath. Any ideas?
Cheers Jason
Old 24-10-05, 18:12

Jason

if you are not already a where of it the bible on the subject is 'British and Commonwealth Military Knives' by Ron Flook ISBN 1 85310 986 X.

There is a substantial amount of information on the different versions of Fairbairn-Sykes Commando Knives in this book.

The book recalls that in 1947 a southern California company purchased some 167,000 surplus Commando knives from the British Goverment and sold them on for ninety-five cents each. The crossguards were stamped to reflect the country of origin i.e. the 'England' you have stamped on your hilt.

All the models are widely reproduced and knowing the difference between these and originals must be problematic. Indeed they are still stock items in UK special forces use and in RAF survival kits. The book recalls how 200 were hurriedly ordered at the time of the Falklands war.

There are versions with Canadian war-time acceptance marks on and they may still be in service with the Canadian Army?
Old 24-10-05, 19:02
RIP

Default Cdn knives

God forbid that the Cdn Forces should issue a fighting knife to its soldiers!!
The closest you get is the Russel "Boat Knife" which has been on issue to some troops for the past 40 or so years. I got mine when I went on a jump exercise and kept it rather than turn it in. My son now uses it and when he gets an opportunity to steal one, I mean, gets issued one, then maybe I'll get mine back.
This is not a fighting knife but rather a knife to use for cutting your shroud lines should you get tree'd.
The FS knife has always been attached to "commandoes' and other elite troops but it was, in fact, available to the Poor Bloody Infantry as well.
Old 27-10-05, 13:58
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default FS Dagger

They were also issued to HLIofC (3rd Div guys). There are a few folating around the armoury here...

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)