MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 18-08-05, 23:01

Default 48th Highlanders of Canada

Hi,

I was just wandering about some of the badges of the 48th Highlanders of Canada. whilst serving in First Canadian Infantry Division.
In May 1945 did they have embroidered shoulder titles in red on black only or were some 'canvas' types around as well.
On the Tam-o-'Shanter: what tartan was used as backing and what badge was used.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 19-08-05, 09:11
Art Johnson

Default 48th badges

At the begining of WWII the 48th and a number of other Canadian regiments were required to change the design of their badge. The government decreed that the offending badges include the Royal Garter in their design. The 48th contended that it was a Highland Chieftan's buckler. The 48th were required to adopt a badge with five losenges (or diamonds if you prefer) across the bottom of the badge.
The buckle badge became a much prized possession for men in the 48th as they were allowed to wear them if they had one. The new badge was nickel plated at first but as the war went on another badge unplated was issued in order to conserve nickle. So that makes three different badges the 48th wore during WWII.

The embroidered shoulder flash although it appears to have a black background in pictures actually has a dark blue background. Printed canvas shoulder flashes were issued in Italy mainly for use with Bush Dress.

Davidson Tartan was used on the Tam O' Shanter for badge backing. The pipers wore Stewart of Fingask.
Old 20-08-05, 23:24
48th Highlander

Hi Rob:
Here is some information that you enquired about with the 48th.

Badge # 1 was the badge I wore with my unit overseas (Regimental issue)
This badge was first issued 1892 and is still used today. Note the deteriation of the metal

Badge # 2 was nickel plated and often worn by officers, it was a prize issue.

Badge # 3 was a commemorative badge that was struck in 1980 and is worn by the Old Comrades Association.

Badge # 4 you will note was war office issue, minus the garter. Which after some debate as you will note by Art Johnson’s note above, was returned later.

You will note my bush stripes are an exact replica of cloth flashes that we carried on our battle dress. Hope you find this information useful.
Attached Thumbnails
48th badges & regimental flashes.jpg  
Old 21-08-05, 01:31
M38A1 CDN3

Norm and Art:

Just as an aside, did you know Don Fletcher?
Old 21-08-05, 01:40
48th Highlander

Hi Jon:
I cannot recall the name. I was with the regiment from 1939 to 1948 and there were many men passed through the ubit. As I am 84 now my memory is not the best. If there is any more information you can give me about the chap maybe I could recall.
Old 21-08-05, 01:51
48th Highlander

Default 48th Highlanders of canada

Hey Jon:

Maybe you can answer a question I have asked before and I never got an answer. When I was in either Italy or England one night while doing guard duty I heard this big band music in the distance and could never figure out where the hell it was coming from I kinda thought I had gone over the hill so I followed the sound, it was late at night, and suddenly I stumbled across two sigs sitting around one of the large empty tea containers and they had head sets that I believe were from a 38 headset down inside the tea caddy listening to what I believe was Axes sal. What a shameful use of Government equipment
I think now it may have been in Italy, : :
Old 21-08-05, 02:00
M38A1 CDN3

Norm:

Since you were in from '39 to '48, perhaps Don Fletcher wasn't around then. My question was just a shot in the dark, anyway.

Reference Sigs guys listening to Axis Sally:

It is with pride that I say that Sigs types were always resourceful and could coax reception out of their sets which far exceeded the "normal" operational parameters. Hybrid antennae, strung from trees, etc, and against all the "rules", allowed the operators to gain access to transmissons (some of which were civilian) to the extent that the Signals Centre became a hub of information for the troops, who were mostly denied news of front line activities.
Old 21-08-05, 04:11
Art Johnson

Default Don Fletcher

Jon
I knew Don quite well he was a drummer inthe 48th band at Newmarket during the war. Like me he was too young to go overseas. Don rejoined the Regimental Pipe Band after the war as a drummer he eventualy became Drum Major. He served with the Highland Regiment of the 27th Brigade in Germany during the early 50s. Unfortunately he and his wife died at a relatively young age. Norm and I served in "B" Coy of the 48th after the war.
Old 21-08-05, 17:25

Thanks for the info. We have been asked to give some assistence to a filmshoot here in the Netherlands, portraying the liberation of Den Haag by elements of the First Canadian Infantry division in May 1945.
According to the script this is to be done badged up as 48th Highlanders of Canada and with some corps troops (RCASC RCAMC etc.)
I'll let you know how things went, if it all goes through.

Rob
Old 21-08-05, 22:49
M38A1 CDN3

Art:

...so Don Fletcher would have been Drummie while Archie Dewar was Pipey?...and most probably during Bill Elms' time as RSM?

I knew Don when he worked for Harding Carpets. I believe his wife (Fran?) predeceased him.

Dileas
Old 21-08-05, 23:02
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob van Meel
According to the script this is to be done badged up as 48th Highlanders of Canada and with some corps troops (RCASC RCAMC etc.)
Rob,

Shouldn't we get Art & Norm over to Holland as technical advisors for Het Zwartboek?

H.
Old 21-08-05, 23:48
48th Highlander

Hi Rob:

Below is a picture of how our tartan was worn under the hat badge on either our Glengarry or our Balmoral during war time. Also, here is a picture of a 48th officer wearing full dress uniform which shows the true colors of the Davidson tartan.
Attached Images

Old 22-08-05, 03:58
Art Johnson

Default Den Haag

Rob maybe you should get in touch with the Honary Lt/Col of the Regiment Geordie Beal. His father was part of the liberation. Sgt. Bill DeHarte is still around and quite active he was stationed in Den Haag. Dick Kenzie was there but unfortunately is now blind and in a Nursing Home in Kitchener Ontario. There are undoubtedly others, the Padre comes to mind but he is well into his nineties and I am not sure how well he is.

If I can be of any assistance you just need to ask.

geordie48@sympatico.ca
Old 22-08-05, 08:07

Hi, sorry to disappoint you lads, but although we are re-enactors cum living historians, filmcompanies in general do not want to know about any comments made by re-enactors: they have hired one expert, and stick to him like the gospel. We as re-enactors are regarded as bad news, and we should be avoided like the plague.
In this instance however, since our group seems to have given the (imho correct) impression that we can keep stumm, we got invited!

But thanks for the offer, I'll let you know how things went in Den Haag.

BR,

Rob
Old 29-08-05, 13:40

Hi,

Rather than re-invent the wheel, are there any repros around of the 48th Highlanders of Canada shoulder titles? From stock, as I would need some 30 pairs next week.

The Dutch based pipe band made some similar shoulder titles, but had to replace the word Canada by Holland, in order to satisfy the people in charge of PR with the present regiment (or so rumour has it), so these are no good.

Or should I go and have them embroidered here locally.
Any suggestions on how to insert a mark of repro as to protect us all form conmen in the future.
I normally mark my printed repro badges with the word repro in white ink on the back.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 20-09-05, 09:52

Hi,

I think that a better result could have been had, if I had been called on earlier.
Virtually no Tam-o-Shanters were available, only a few repro badges were made at the last moment, for two or three officers only, no Davidson tartan backing (I was in Scotland a week before I was asked to help out), but on the good side: I had some 40 sets of 48th shoulder titles made (in two patterns) that looked spot-on. The BD's were acceptable, and the number of troops: 45 extras, 50 modern Dutch army and 12 members from our club, plus some driver/owners in BD with first Canadian Infantry divsion patches, and 48th Highlanders, RCEMREor RCAOC shoulder tiltles including some in British BD with Prinses Irene Brigade badges, plus 30+ vehicles with correct serials and markings made an good impression. So I feel that we did well!
See also Dirk Leegwater posting on this film called Zwartboek.

Rob
Old 23-09-05, 21:48
48th Highlander

Hi Mark:

Have you ever heard of Task Force Zulu? I am still trying to find information on a first division operation at Seaford (pre Dieppe) that was cancelled prior to the raid.
Old 25-09-05, 07:32
Art Johnson

Default Task Force Zulu.

Hi Norm, this is just a stab in the dark but considering the time lapse it may be an answer. I can't find anything on Task Force Zulu during the era you are speaking of.
If you recall the 1st Division moved to various locations in East Sussex about the time of Dieppe minus their transport. Garry Shipton whose father was in the Service Corps says that his father told him that roads to the channel ports were clogged with Canadian vehicles loaded with supplies to go on the ships when they returned from Dieppe. I wonder if this part of the operation could have been the task force you speak of.

"The battalion returned to Littlehampton and their next task was to train the Home Guard to take over the Beach Defenses. On July 20th three more men were killed when a Boston Bomber the had scrounged a ride in collided with another aircraft. Corporal William Barnett, Privates Jack Orvis and George Palmer were buried in Brookwood Cemetary with full military honours. Exercise “Independence” began on August the 4th with the 48th marching out of Littlehampton, their transport was withdrawn and the infantry companies camped their way across Sussex to Gray Wood. The rest of the 1st Division was also on the move without their transport.
August 19th found the 48th and the rest of the 1st Division on “Exercise Exterminate” while the 2nd Canadian Division was fighting for its life on the Beaches of Dieppe. Brigadier Bill Southam a former C.O. of the 48th was taken prisoner during this operation. One report has all the 1st Division transport lined up to support the operation at Dieppe;

“We waited on all the byways into New Haven loaded to the gunnels with ammo/supplies and expected to be ready to load on returning Landing Ships” (L/Cpl. William J. Shipton RCASC) "

http//dileas.mapleleafup.org/
Old 25-09-05, 07:48
Vets Dottir

Default Re: 48th Highlanders of Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm Cromie
Hi Rob:

Below is a picture of how our tartan was worn under the hat badge on either our Glengarry or our Balmoral during war time. Also, here is a picture of a 48th officer wearing full dress uniform which shows the true colors of the Davidson tartan.
Hey, My Grandmother, Dad's s side, Icelandic, was a Davidson ... I wonder ... ?
Old 25-09-05, 22:09
48th Highlander

Karman

Those crazy roving Kelts sure got around. Bear in mind a bare bottom adorned by a kilt, bears out bare facts that a bare bottom in Iceland bears abandonment of tradition.