MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 13-11-10, 06:02

Default Webly& Scott training gun

My friend has a Webly & Scott ltd 1938 gun that doesn't shoot .It has a spring loaded barrel with a small knob on the end .This part will receed in a larger diamiter barrel to about two feet . It is about six feet long .I think it is for baynot practise . It has C429 stamped on the side of the wood butt. Does any one know anything about this gun ?
M2A1Halftrack ,CMP #11 F15A1 #13 F15A1
RAF Fordson Tractor, 42 WLC HD
No.2MK11 CT267514 center CB24713 bottom hull25701 ,No.2 MK2 parts
MK1 10128 ,(2) MK1 ,Parts Hull9305 .Hull 10407
Hull plate # 7250 all have walk plate on back steps
1917 Patent modle amphibious army tank
Old 13-11-10, 13:58
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Military Training Rifles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by George McKenzie View Post
My friend has a Webly & Scott ltd 1938 gun that doesn't shoot .It has a spring loaded barrel with a small knob on the end .This part will receed in a larger diamiter barrel to about two feet . It is about six feet long .I think it is for baynot practise . It has C429 stamped on the side of the wood butt. Does any one know anything about this gun ?
George..
Webley and Scott started making military training air rifles in 1929 and this is probably a bayonet training rifle also.
In 1929 Webley introduced its Mark II air rifle. During World War II Webley air rifles were used for rifle training as well as civilian target shooting and hunting.

The Mark II, known as the service air rifle because of its use by the UK military, used break-action with a superimposed barrel locked by bolt action. The detachable barrel was easily interchangeable with others of the three calibres available.

The Mark II was discontinued in 1946 and replaced by the Mark III, in production until 1975. The Mark III was a top-loaded air rifle with a fixed barrel and used underlever cocking. It was only made in .177 and .22 calibres.

Webley continues to manufacture air pistols in .22 (5.5 mm) and .177 (4.5 mm) calibre, and air rifles in .22, .177 and .25 (6.35 mm) calibre. A variety of actions are available in several different models, including the Nemesis, Stinger, and Tempest air pistols and Raider, Venom, and Vulcan air rifles. In early 2007 Webley broke away from its traditional 'barrel overlever' design to launch the revised Typhoon model, a 'break-barrel' design with a recoil-reduction system.

Webley and Scott has also returned to shotgun production with alliances with European manufacturers, and now markets a number of sporting and competition shotguns.

In 2008, Webley sold to Webley (International) Limited but still produces products under the Webley name [5]
Old 13-11-10, 18:40
David Pope

Not sure if it's the same thing, but I have read of a training rifle that was held close to a paper target. When you pulled the trigger, a spring-loaded armature poked a hole in the paper. The sighting points were set higher on the paper to allow for the height of the sight line. Sounds kind of Mickey Mouse by today's standards, doesn't it?
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 13-11-10, 23:49

Default swift t/r

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletrac View Post
Not sure if it's the same thing, but I have read of a training rifle that was held close to a paper target. When you pulled the trigger, a spring-loaded armature poked a hole in the paper. The sighting points were set higher on the paper to allow for the height of the sight line. Sounds kind of Mickey Mouse by today's standards, doesn't it?
hello david

the training rifle you speak of is called a swift training rifle. it was made in the united kingdom, and used by the R.C.A.F. as a training aid. they came in a transit chest with targets, and metal target holder, which is attached to the business end of the barrel. astetically, they were based on the lee enfield, similar size and weight, with a working bolt and trigger. collectors source has one for sale at present. they do make a nice wall hanger or conversation piece. i have also seen an american trainer based on the '03 springfield rifle turn up for sale in canada more than once. these are wood/ steel, similar in size and weight to the real thing. the third training rifle that stands out, is basically a cut out of wood likeness of a rifle, which usually bears the c/ broad arrow. as for this webley, i would like to see a pic of it, because it's a new one to me.
Old 14-11-10, 00:03

It sounds like a fencing musket. they were made by a number of makers in England from the 19th century.

Joe Salter has a Webley & Scott for sale now:http://www.joesalter.com/detail.php?f_qryitem=12880

This page has a bit of info on the muskets and images of a Greener example:http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Fencing_musket.htm
Hope this helps

J
Old 14-11-10, 17:09

Default Webly& Scott training gun

Thanks for all the coments .I'll get a picture of it .This gun does not have a bolt action on it .Just looked at the one for sale and it is like that one
M2A1Halftrack ,CMP #11 F15A1 #13 F15A1
RAF Fordson Tractor, 42 WLC HD
No.2MK11 CT267514 center CB24713 bottom hull25701 ,No.2 MK2 parts
MK1 10128 ,(2) MK1 ,Parts Hull9305 .Hull 10407
Hull plate # 7250 all have walk plate on back steps
1917 Patent modle amphibious army tank
Old 15-11-10, 01:55

I have a Swift and its box. . . .

R
Old 15-11-10, 02:08

Default swift

i should clarify, that there are three or four versions of the swift t/r ..the one i have is the final version. long branch also produced a training rifle, which was just as realistic as the swift. i have never seen one for sale, but hopefully one will turn up one day.
Old 04-12-10, 10:41

Default Transit Case

I happen to have one looking for a good home. Swift Training Rifle transit case, that is.
Old 04-12-10, 23:12
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike mckinley View Post
i should clarify, that there are three or four versions of the swift t/r ..the one i have is the final version. long branch also produced a training rifle, which was just as realistic as the swift. i have never seen one for sale, but hopefully one will turn up one day.
One of the most active gun forums in Canada (probably the only really good one for that matter) is dub dub dub canadiangunnutz.com. There is a forum for military surplus firearms and a well-watched exchange too. Register and post and WTB (wanted to buy) ad for a Long Branch Training Rifle.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!