MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 25-03-10, 15:49
Scott

Default Grandfather's WWII Service Record - Help needed.

Hello All,

I recently obtained my Grandfathers WWII service records from LAC, and was wondering if anyone here could help with some abbreviations...

The first scan is from his Milita Service. He enlisted int he 2nd Dragoons (later the 2/10 Dragoons) in 1936, and from the Statement of Service doc, it seems he qualified as a Sergent?

I believe this is "Qualified Sergent R.S. of Cav. Niagra Cert"

I am not sure what the R. S. stands for... I believe the Cav. is Cavalry as the 2/10 was originally a Cavalry unit, later Artillery.

Any appreciate any help...

Thanks,

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
qual_screen.jpg  
Old 25-03-10, 18:34
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: R.S. of Cav

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenzieclan View Post

I believe this is "Qualified Sergent R.S. of Cav. Niagra Cert"

I am not sure what the R. S. stands for... I believe the Cav. is Cavalry as the 2/10 was originally a Cavalry unit, later Artillery.
Hi Scott;

The entry in question reads in full: Qualified Sergeant - Royal School of Cavalry, Niagara - Certificate No. T548C

The 2nd/10th Dragoons was a component of the 1st Cavalry Brigade of the Non-Permanent Active Militia in Military District No. 2 and remained a ‘Horsed’ Cavalry Regiment of the Non-Permanent Active Militia and later Canadian Army (Reserve)(from 7 November 1940) until converted and re-designated the 57th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (2nd/10th Dragoons), R.C.A. (Canadian Army (Reserve)), effective 1 April 1946.

The ‘Active’ component of the regiment was called out and placed on active service as serial 1077 - 2nd/10th Dragoons effective 12 May 1942 and was re-designated and allocated to the Canadian Infantry Corps as serial 1077 - 1st Battalion, 2nd/10th Dragoons, C.I.C. effective 3 September 1942 and was disbanded effective 10 November 1943.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 25-03-10, 19:05
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W. Tonner View Post
Hi Scott;

The entry in question reads in full: Qualified Sergeant - Royal School of Cavalry, Niagara - Certificate No. T548C

The 2nd/10th Dragoons was a component of the 1st Cavalry Brigade of the Non-Permanent Active Militia in Military District No. 2 and remained a ‘Horsed’ Cavalry Regiment of the Non-Permanent Active Militia and later Canadian Army (Reserve)(from 7 November 1940) until converted and re-designated the 57th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (2nd/10th Dragoons), R.C.A. (Canadian Army (Reserve)), effective 1 April 1946.

The ‘Active’ component of the regiment was called out and placed on active service as serial 1077 - 2nd/10th Dragoons effective 12 May 1942 and was re-designated and allocated to the Canadian Infantry Corps as serial 1077 - 1st Battalion, 2nd/10th Dragoons, C.I.C. effective 3 September 1942 and was disbanded effective 10 November 1943.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
I see that Mark is responding in his usual vague style.
Old 25-03-10, 19:23
Senior Forum Member

Default ... usual vague style ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
I see that Mark is responding in his usual vague style.

Too much information, not enough memory ... me thinks the grey is fading to black ...
Old 25-03-10, 19:32
Scott

lol @servicepub.... There can never be too many details...

Thanks...

In the upcoming days I will be transcribing to excel sheet the contents of his "Statement of Service" sheets from his War service with the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry.

This will make them easier to read for family members as they are all handwritten, so look for some more screen grabs as I ask for opinions and explanations.

I appreciate any help I can find...

My Grandfather is still with us (one of the reasons I was able to get his entire SR), and I am working to document his life, but I have found the more information I have the better results I get when we have our talks. He is almost 92 and he is less overwhelemed when I guide the discussion and he fills in the details.

I know this will be come more important as we move towards August 42, and Dieppe, a subject he rarely (read never) speaks about. I respect him too much to push him on the subject, but I hope if I can present him with what I have found out I might elicit a few words on the subject.

I'll be back with a bunch of questions....

Thanks,

Scott
Old 26-03-10, 16:24
Scott

OK, here is the next one...

1 - Attached ????? 4 Canadian Infantry Brigade and not sure what f a p stand for thought they appear often.

2 - Leave 7 days priviledge, then not sure what the 2 w. w. stands for.

3 - Attached Head Quarters 4th Canadian Infantry Brigade, f a p ???

4 - 2nd Division Signals??? - Any ideas what might be happening here?

5 - Promoted to Acting Lance Corporal?

Am I close?? Thanks,

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
mckenzie.jpg  
Old 26-03-10, 17:01
RIP

Quote:

1 - Attached ????? 4 Canadian Infantry Brigade and not sure what f a p stand for thought they appear often.

Am I close?? Thanks,

Scott
Scott,
Just a guess but I believe that 'fap' is 'for accounting purposes' i.e., under whose strength he is shown for pay, rations, accomodations, etc...
Clive
Old 26-03-10, 18:05
Senior Forum Member

Quote:

Am I close?? Thanks,

Scott
Hi Scott;

1. - attached to Headquarters, 4th Canadian Infantry Brigade for all purposes, ie. (as Clive pointed out), pay, rations, quarters (5 to 8 Sep 41) from the RHLI (Note: the abbreviation f.a.p. or fap was used for the term ‘for all purposes’)

2. - Leave 7 days - it could read ‘Paid 2 weeks wages’ - I’ve never seen ‘2 w. w.’ entered on a Record of Service before

3. - Same as 1 above (15 to 18 Sep 41) from the RHLI

4. - attached to 2nd Divisional Signals (although it does not state what sub-unit) for all purposes (same as 1 above) (attachment started on 18 Sep 41) from the RHLI

5. - to be qualified Lance-Corporal (8 Dec 41)

Also, its a small world, I notice that your grandfather’s Next-of-Kin address was 205 Tragina Ave, my uncle lives on Tragina across the intersection on the other side of Britannia and as since the 40's. My late grandparent’s home was just off the intersection of Cameron & Britannia (on Cameron) and my late parent’s home was just off Paling & Britannia (on Paling) and my sister's home until recently was just off of the intersection of Barons & Britannia (on Barons), all within five minutes walk of each other along Britannia.

Cheers