MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 27-09-17, 21:09

Default 1942 No 8 Ford (Blitz) Gun Tractor

Seen one of these vehicles at the national military vehicle museum in south Australia (see attached pic) and was wondering about any more info on the vehicle and body. I'm interested in kit bashing some plastic models to make the tractor as it fascinated me being a different sort of CMP. Was this an Aussie only body built or did other nations use it and the stuff it's towing I know the British Morris tractor also towed the same equipment. It's labelled with 42 markings but no sign of any unit markings which kind of stumps me which unit it was with.

I am out in Australia shortly so can get way more info on it and photos to build a model of one. From research so far to prepare myself when I am out there

25pdr gun - Can pick this up from Milicast as UK073
Limber - Was this the same as the British version towed behind say a Morris Quad. Can get this as Milicast UK249
The cab is a Ford No 13 which gives a start will also measure when out there the chassis length and other required measurements

Any other information on this model Ford in Australian service is always welcomed to learn more about it
Attached Images

Old 27-09-17, 23:26
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Ford FGT No8 (Aust)

Hi James

Briefly this vehicle uses the Canadian Ford FAT chassis but with an Australian designed and built body which accommodated the gun crew and their kit.

It was built in smallish numbers by both Ford and GM-H.

It was not a design used by other countries.

The other Australian designed and manufactured CMP gun tractor was the updated version, the No9 (Aust) which had a stepped roof for more headroom for the crew and a different internal rear layout. It carried a spare tyre internally unlike the No8 which had run flat tyres.

The FGT No8 in your photograph is part replica as much of the rear body was reconstructed from a genuine base.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 28-09-17, 10:13
MLU Administrator

James,

Sounds like a great modelling subject. See some older thread s on here which may help you on your way. The Italeri CGT 1:35 scale model may be a good start. Even if it is a Chevrolet and has the Canadian body, at least it will give you parts and dimensions to do some kit bashing.

CMP #9 gun tractor model-build log

cgt model info

1/35 scale Chevrolet C60L by Italeri

HTH,
Hanno