MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 16-10-17, 04:43

Default for cmp rads

I am sure this question had been asked before but can't find the thread. I am going to start on a cmp and i am wandering if any one either in manitoba or sask had a cmp rad recored, and where they got it done. The fella i talked to said he could do it but the front would be straight not tbe nice tapered look and would cost 1000.00 i think that is a bit rich.
Old 16-10-17, 17:28

Garry.

It might now be a long shot, but there is a company in Winnipeg called Garry Radiators Ltd. out in St. James. When I had my 15cwt Cab 13 Chev rad recored a number of years back, the shop was located in downtown Winnipeg on Garry Street. The senior owner at that time was an ex RCEME chap who had worked in a wartime downtown RCEME Shop here in Winnipeg that was located on the current site of CBC Winnipeg. He worked on radiators in that shop and the shop also did tyre retreading for the old Military District 10.

He had a supply of NOS Chev CMP rad cores in his attic and was delighted to work on one of those rads again. I suspect it might be one of his sons running the business today. Might be worth a check.

David
Old 17-10-17, 01:38
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default radiators

This is a cheap option but not a option for the "rivet" counters among us.

You can buy generic new radiators these days made in china, tig welded alloy . I fitted one in the C8 , takes a bit of fiddling to fit in but it's a new radiator for a fraction of the cost of a re-core. Try ebay , mine was listed as chev hot rod radiator
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 17-10-17, 03:11
GM Fox I

After trying a large number of rad shops I now realize re-coring rads is a lost or dying art. I paid over $1000 CDN to re-core my carrier rad at one of the few shops that still do it and it was a spectacular job. Because the carrier rad fit is so tight an aftermarket rad would potentially require quite some jigging. On the other hand I found a guy (now out of business) that built me a Fox rad from scratch (based on nothing more than my rad carriage frame) for $350.

Another place you might try is Macs Auto. They have a modern aluminum rad made to fit 1939-41 Fords for $246.49 USD and a more "rivet counter" friendly one for just under $1000 USD.

Radiators and tires spook the bejesus out of me when it come to restorations.
Old 17-10-17, 03:50

Thank to all the responses Bruce do you think a new 39 to 41 rad will fit I tried one out of a 50 ford truck it had the flat head 8 but it was to short the fan blades hit the outlets. I tried lifting the rad but then the hood on my cab 13 wouldn't close. Yes such little things give shivers to most of us.