MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-09-17, 12:20
MLU Administrator

Default Chassis winch in 15-cwt chassis

Here is another 15-cwt truck, a Ford in this case, with a chassis winch.

"Original" according to the owner. Original winch, sure, but original fitment, no. Unless it once was an FGT chassis?

Click image for larger version

Name:	img-14586-09279.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	94487
Old 30-09-17, 13:03

The chassis also looks to have the brackets for the auxiliary/helper/overload springs that were not fitted to F15A according to the parts books.
Old 01-10-17, 02:20

The helper spring brackets are upside down and are bolted in so not original.

Ken
1941 Cab 12 F60L ARN 46660
1941 Cab 12 F60L ARN 51720 A/T Portee
1942 Cab 13 F15 ARN 55236
1942 Cab 13 F60L ARN 58171 Mach "D" Loading
1942 Cab 13 C15 ARN 62400
1945 Cab 13 C60L ARN 77821
1941 Chevrolet 3 Ton GS ARN AIF L16070 Middle East veteran
Canadian REL (APF) radar trailer
Old 01-10-17, 20:47
MLU Administrator

Grant, Ken, well spotted, thanks.

So it looks to be a 15-cwt chassis with winch and other bits added.

H.
Old 02-10-17, 19:51

I've come across this once before.

I have a vague memory that stop gap 12 cab 2pdr Anti tank portees were fitted with winches most were then reconfigured late in the war back to GS bodied versions but kept the winches

Pete
Old 02-10-17, 20:27
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Ashby View Post
I've come across this once before.

I have a vague memory that stop gap 12 cab 2pdr Anti tank portees were fitted with winches most were then reconfigured late in the war back to GS bodied versions but kept the winches
Hello Pete,

Could you eloborate on this vague memory? As far as I know, the 2-pdr AT Portees did not have a chassis winch but a small hand driven winch - see below.

Post-war, many 15-cwt trucks were fitted with a chassis winch, of which I think this is an example.

Always willing & able to be educated!

Thanks,
Hanno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
The body remaining on the ground in front of the truck appears to be (without the crane) the remains of the original portee bodywork (eg the small hand driven winch, the hinges on top of the guards), indicating this vehicle wasn't converted to GS spec.

Old 02-10-17, 22:47

I'll try and find the reference Hanno, it may have been in a Wheels and Tracks sometime after the article about portees.

Like you we couldn't decide if the remains of the truck was a factory fit or a post war mod it was not a bodge job but properly fitted unfortunately I don't have any photos of it.

Pete
Old 03-10-17, 08:40

hi guys,

But if you closely to the backend of the chassis the crossmember does look like the ones used on FGT's. So would it be possible that this is? a FGT chassis were they fitted a normal 13 pattern cab and cargo box on? probably a post war job. just suggestion...

greetings Rob
Old 03-10-17, 12:53

I can't see the fuel tanks in the picture....even though tanks can be swapped, a FAT would originally have had the larger fuel tanks, while the F15A used the smaller ones.

Quote:
But if you closely to the backend of the chassis the crossmember does look like the ones used on FGT's
Yes, it does seem to have the extra strengthening for the winch gear at the rear of the chassis.....but than again....this could also be retrofitted along with the winch(?). A FAT would also have the fairleads on the front bumper and also the little hooks for the scotches fitted to the side of the chassis near the leaf spring attachment.

Fitting a winch and helper springs to an F15A chassis would have made it an ideal towing vehicle for a garage.....which to me, is the most likely explanation.

Alex

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 03-10-17 at 13:01.
Old 03-10-17, 13:05

that's very clear and logical talking. And don't forget that they were very creatif in those days.

greetings Rob
Old 04-10-17, 09:05

I may have been thinking of this thread perhaps ?
http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8997 however I thought I'd seen a written reference somewhere I'll keep looking.

At this stage (something like 20 years ago) I can't remember if the remains of the one I found had 60cwt axles however it was definitely a 12 cab on a 15cwt wheel base with the remains of a GS body it certainly didn't appear like a reworked GT.

Pete
Old 04-10-17, 11:32
MLU Administrator

Hi all,

Thanks for all the input. But to my knowledge, no 15-cwt chassis were fitted with a chassis winch at the factory or assembly plant during WW2.

All the 15-cwt chassis with winches I have seen, turned out to be modified ones. With the abundance of spares available post-war, a chassis winch is a likely/ useful addition for a skid logger, garage tow truck, etc. Plus it is mostly a bolt-in conversion. But the available evidence shows these were post-war civilian conversions, and not part of the original configuration of this type of truck.

I would like to challenge the membership to come up with source material supporting the chassis winch being a factory option for 15-cwt chassis during WW2. Note that in the case of the CGT Portee and Polsten AA truck, source material mentions a winch - but these are hand winches, not chassis winches as covered here.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 04-10-17, 11:59
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Thanks for all the input. But to my knowledge, no FORD 15-cwt chassis were fitted with a chassis winch at the factory or assembly plant during WW2.

All the 15-cwt chassis with winches I have seen, turned out to be modified ones.

I would like to challenge the membership to come up with source material supporting the chassis winch being a factory option for 15-cwt chassis during WW2. Note that in the case of the CGT Portee and Polsten AA truck, source material mentions a winch - but these are hand winches, not chassis winches as covered here.
I understand that C15A's have the chassis mounts fitted for a winch, but it was not usual for an actual winch to be installed. The 42 cab Portees are as such, and this another point that muddies the waters over the old 15cwt or 60cwt chassis question.
Old 04-10-17, 21:54
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
I understand that C15A's have the chassis mounts fitted for a winch, but it was not usual for an actual winch to be installed. The 42 cab Portees are as such, and this another point that muddies the waters over the old 15cwt or 60cwt chassis question.
With mounts you mean the winch crossmember, as per Tony Wheeler's remark?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
Getting back to your question Hanno - the CGT frame is nothing more than a C15A frame. Unlike the FGT frame, which is a modified F15A frame, there's no difference between the CGT and C15A frame. Likewise throughout the whole CMP 4x4 range, because unlike Ford frames, all Chev frames were built with a winch crossmember.
If Chevrolet standardised the 101-inch wb chassis, it could be used to either assemble a CGT or a 15-cwt truck. As per the manual, the chassis winch was only "optional equipment on C30, C60S, C60L":

Quote:
I just looked up some more facts in the Chevrolet MB-C2 maintenance manual and list my findings here:
[snip]

Winch:
Standard on CGT, supplied as optional equipment on C30, C60S, C60L.
[snip]
Being standardized, it would be easy to bolt in a winch after military service, which explains why we come across them quite often - but they are not part of the original configuration of the 15-cwt truck.

- Hanno
Old 04-10-17, 23:36

Quote:

If Chevrolet standardised the 101-inch wb chassis, it could be used to either assemble a CGT or a 15-cwt truck. As per the manual, the chassis winch was only "optional equipment on C30, C60S, C60L":

Being standardized, it would be easy to bolt in a winch after military service, which explains why we come across them quite often - but they are not part of the original configuration of the 15-cwt truck.

- Hanno
Agreed Hanno,

however when they turn up they are invariably professionally fitted not some after thought bolt on by a farmer.
My guess is these trucks were REME/ CREME late war modifications or possibly post war.
Old 05-10-17, 01:44
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:

- Hanno
It's not so much as a Crossmember (which suggests a full-width frame between the chassis rails), as 2 "C" section pads that are rivetted within each chassis rail.