MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 04-10-17, 08:37

Default Antifreeze Problem.

Hi people,just a heads up if you do not already know DO NOT USE antifreeze/glycol in your Ford v8 side valve engine.
My water pumps were modified with modern seals in the pumps and has had antifreeze added to it for quiet a while now,then one day the pumps started leaking really bad making the engine miss fire and such,when i pulled the pumps out they were completely stuffed,no seals left and the bearings shot, but i was lucky that i got another second hand set that need a set of seals to fix them.
I have been advised to only use a rust inhibitor in the radiator and drain it for the winter,this was by an old mechanic who served his time on side valve v8s,he also said antifreeze will get through head gaskets and the likes so dont use it.
Anyone else had this problem and what did you do to sort it out?,i would be interested to know.
Old 04-10-17, 10:16

Hi Ken,
It's a been while since you have been on the forum. You must still have your F30 then.
I just use Barsleaks. No need for anti freeze in sunny Tauranga although it was touch and go this winter.
Regards,
Terry.
Old 04-10-17, 14:24
carrier mech

Anti-freeze is not an option in this part of Canada. We are already hitting below zero at night.

Antifreeze will become corrosive if left too long. In the military we were supposed to change it every 4 years if I recall correctly. It might have even been every two years, I would have to check the lubrication charts.

International used to (and I imagine they still do) have PH kits to adjust the PH levels of the coolant in order to maintain it at a neutral level and prevent corrosion.
Old 07-10-17, 04:48

Hi Rob,yes thats what happened with the antifreeze being old it became corrosive.
And hi Terry yes its been a while since i was on here,although i follow some things on F/B still got the truck.