MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The MLU Sappers Mess

Notices

Old 10-03-08, 20:57
Derek Heuring

Default Engineers and matches

(Now there's an opening for ya Jefe!)

I have a rare book of Canadian matches marked with the ROYAL CANADIAN ENGINEER cap badge on the front and FIRST ARMOURED DIVISIONAL ENGINEERS Excise Tax Paid 1/5 cent on the obverse. The matches were made by Smoke Rite Matches Ltd. of London, Ontario. The reason I say rare is that 3 months after the First Armoured Division was mobilized in late February 27, 1941 it was changed to the 5th Canadian Armoured Divisision. I know of three Royal Canadian Engineer units that were attached to the 1st;

1st Field Squadron, Royal Canadian Engineers
10th Field Squadron, Royal Canadian Engineers
4th Field Park Troop, Royal Canadian Engineers

so chances are good the matchbook came from one of these units. I was delighted to find this matchbook in an antique store in Ft. Langley, B.C. during my last trip there. In Texas we commonly have a "Living History" encampment open to the public during our many WW II reenactments. It's this kind of ephemera that makes my display authentic. I'm always looking for this, and any kind of Engineer memoribilia so if any of have have any that you're willing to part with, please let me know.

CHIMO! Derek.

(P.S., sorry about the quality of the pics...that's the best my old 4.2 meg camera can do. Gonna be time for a new one soon.)
Attached Images