MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 29-01-04, 23:09

Hano,

I will make some enquiries about shipping costs to Europe.

I note MRF web site has a "Becoming an Agent" icon - why don't you put yourself forward?

I am sure AGTyre here would be happy to ship to you as one of their dealers but it seems a long way around.

Lang
Old 29-01-04, 23:37
former Resident Historian

Default Aussie tyre company

I am amazed that there is this problem over tyres, not being involved with preservation now. I had dealings with an Indian company in Bombay a few years ago and they were interested in selling worldwide any tools, filters, whatever, that would sell. I sent them loads of catalogues and brochures for everything from shock absorbers to oil filters.

I have to say that this company looks impressive with their range of tyres...you Aussies have always been able to supply new manufactured parts for old vehicles..pistons and liners come to mind as there is a company that advertises in RESTORED CARS for whom I write. http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/index2.html
Old 30-01-04, 09:39
Dutch member

Default Re: Aussie tyre company

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
I am amazed that there is this problem over tyres,
My last Olympic 9.00x13 tyres are sold to Paul Lyncoln for his F8
but the 9.00x13 Alliance (brand new) tyres are still available !!!

Dirk

Last edited by Dirk Leegwater (RIP); 12-01-07 at 08:00.
Old 30-01-04, 09:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Coker "Firestone" tyre pattern

To Hanno and David, I'll kill two birds with one stone, or MLU reply as the case may be. Antique Tyres in Melbourne is the Australian agent for Coker Tyre and reproduces their catalog VERBATIM. Despite showing them in their catalog and on their website, they have never stocked the 10.50-16 tyres and now cannot procure them from Coker.

However, a discussion that recently listed on another forum might prove interesting:
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/...eid=1067908020

And Hanno, this is what all the excitement is about:
Attached Images

Old 30-01-04, 09:52
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Aussie tyre company

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
I have to say that this company looks impressive with their range of tyres (...) http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/index2.html
David,

The problem with tyres is that although many sizes with correct treads were manufactured long after WW2, recently it seems they all have been discontinued. NOS tyres are often well over half a century old - not really fit for road use.

Followed up that link you provided, and indeed found their list impressive - it even includes those 10.50-16 Coker "Firestone" chevron tyres I asked Tony about:

Tony will probably tell us now that although Antique Tyres lists these tyres on their site, they no longer stock them.
The same is true for http://www.olympictyres.co.uk/, they do list the 9.00-13 Grassland tyre on their site, but no longer stock them.
In the end one of us will have to order a batch of 1,000 or so and sell them to other collectors at 4 at a time....

Hanno
Old 30-01-04, 09:56
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Talking Hanno, SNAP!!

n/t
Old 30-01-04, 10:22

Default Barum

I noticed that Barum were listed...they used to be in what was Czechoslovakia. I wondered whether the Indian company[ies] can be persuaded to do bespoke tyres for worldwide consumption using their tread patterns? From experience the company I dealt with were willing to turn their attention to anything that might sell abroad.

Incidentally I noticed that Uniroyal offer military truck/off road tyres but much narrower than is required by MV collectors. Pity they could not be persuaded to offer their tyres in larger treads.
Old 30-01-04, 16:19
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default tyres

Antique tyre supplies in Melbourne caters for the Veteran and Vintage car movement . Mainly , they stock those locked bead skinny tyres used on 1920's cars . The web site looks impressive , but , I think it is a case of the web site looking too jazzy and flash . As far as I know , I have not heard of anyone buying military tyres from them , and if they did there would be a long wait as they would have to import them from Coker overseas , the price would be astronomical , somewhere around $500 Aust. for a 9.00-16 .

I think the MRF option is the best for us in Aust.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 30-01-04 at 16:26.
Old 30-01-04, 17:59
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: MRF Tyres

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
You know me McSpool. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I had to have something to do at 5am in the morning.
Well then, you have at least 4 hours left then to trawl the MLU forum before the Ballards start to bollock their Sigs clerk

Quote:
I was thinking Oz deliveries aren't so bad, both the CAD and AUD are living around 2.5 to the GBP and this makes OZ stuff very inexpensive; as Mike and I know shipping either way is dirt cheap, at the last count 1 tonne/cu m was the lowest denominator at just 65 quid.

Now, I wonder why there's no EU agent. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Couldn't possibly be anything to do with the Brussels bumf generator, surely ?
Agree, in today's world it can be cheaper to ship stuff indirectly and end up with a great deal. Surely one of the many MV dealers here in Europe is interested in shipping a container or two, claiming non-EU-marked tyre exemption under that rule that Richard F. made us aware of?

H.
Old 30-01-04, 18:01
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lang
I will make some enquiries about shipping costs to Europe.

I note MRF web site has a "Becoming an Agent" icon - why don't you put yourself forward?
Lang,

Don't bother enquiring about shipping costs to Europe. I'll send the MRF lead forward to an MV-dealer friend of mine and let him go through the hassle of finding out if there is some sort of EU-exemption for these tyres and what the cheapest source would be.

Thanks!
Hanno
Old 30-01-04, 18:02
MLU Administrator

Default Coker "Firestone" tyre pattern

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
However, a discussion that recently listed on another forum might prove interesting:
Well, all we have to do then is to start a new thread to gauge the interest in 10.50-16 tyres and send the order to Coker.

Quote:
Hanno, SNAP!!
Well Tony, that's just great - I think of you for some help to clarify and you provide the answer before I even post the question! Of course you Aussies have always been a bit ahead of the rest of us

H.
Old 10-06-04, 05:04
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Another brand

Victor Tyres of Sweeden (How appropriate for a Bofors Gun) also produce 9.00-13 tyres, however while the tread is not exactly WW2, at least they're expensive . Perhaps they are available in Europe at much more reasonable prices and are EU marked.
Attached Thumbnails
victor.jpg  
Old 10-06-04, 05:09
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Michelin Man

All this searching for tyres is making me a regular Michelin Man!
Attached Images

Old 10-06-04, 07:23
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: MRF Tyres

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Well then, you have at least 4 hours left then to trawl the MLU forum before the Ballards start to bollock their Sigs clerk
You have the measure of that. . . . . . . . . .
Quote:
Agree, in today's world it can be cheaper to ship stuff indirectly and end up with a great deal. Surely one of the many MV dealers here in Europe is interested in shipping a container or two, claiming non-EU-marked tyre exemption under that rule that Richard F. made us aware of?
I have no doubt that there is an exemption on the basis that the vehicle using the tyres is before EU directives then non E marked/approved is legal, but here's a catch 22, the dealers are now legally bound to only sell either E marked tyres or they are indelibly marked "Agricultural/Implement - 20MPH" or some such.

This allows the driver, who is legally responsible for the vehicle on the road, to use non-approved tyres commensurate with the vehicle age; and indeed you can privately "import" such stuff for personal use. I see some people are circumventing the law by selling tubes and flaps at a huge price but you get a free tyre with them. . . . . . . . . . .

The tyre supply in the UK seems to be a closely guarded closed shop and I suspect people like MRF will not supply the pittance required for the few old trucks in the UK, they are likely looking for several containers a month continually as a "dealer" arrangement.

Currently with 1GBP almost $3Oz it would seem easier to have an antipodean chum send some up here; or someone needs to take a trip to India on behalf of the interested parties and arrange a "private" shipment. I have emailed MRF several times and got complete silence however.

Ballard has been looking worried now that the Simex ST24s are extinct since I managed to get him four, but, failing vandalisation (unlikely as the truck is never out of his sight) or destruction off-road on flint (also unlikely), then these will still be less than half worn long after him and me have been rendered to dust.

R.
Old 16-08-04, 16:55
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Coker "Firestone" tyre pattern

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith

Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Well, all we have to do then is to start a new thread to gauge the interest in 10.50-16 tyres and send the order to Coker.
New thread started: generating interest for ordering a batch of 10.50-16 directional tyres.

H.
Old 20-08-04, 00:53
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: 8.25-10 tyres for 6pdr AT gun

Quote:
Trawling Google for simply 9.00 x 16 and the like produced most responses from Oz and NZ, it seems Simex are Oz based now http://www.simextyre.com/ but don't list the ST24 at all.
I did and found the following bit at http://puosu.dna.fi/~kerappo/cars/vo....fin.2003.html
Quote:
14.7.2003 Ajoin Suomenojan Euromasterille juttelemaan renkaista. Lupasivat soitella selvitettyään.

Illalla sain vastauksen info@simexeurope.co.uk osoitteeseen lähettämääni viestiin:

Dear Harri, Thanks for the interest on our tyres. Indeed we make the 900-16 ST24 Runflat meant for army vehicles. Max load allowed is 950kg. Price per tyre ex warehouse in UK is GBP180.00 excluding VAT. Lead time from order is 8 weeks as tyres are in Malaysia. Payment either by TT or LC. Full payment is expected before shipment. We look forward to your positive response. Regds, AK

Tuo on selvästi kalliimpaa kuin Ruotsista tilaaminen.
The stuff I don´t understand is Finnish, but the rest tells me ST24 tyres could be bought in the UK merely a year ago.

H.
Old 15-11-04, 10:43
MLU Administrator

Default 7.50-20 tyres: look they are free!

Quote:
I have no doubt that there is an exemption on the basis that the vehicle using the tyres is before EU directives then non E marked/approved is legal, but here's a catch 22, the dealers are now legally bound to only sell either E marked tyres or they are indelibly marked "Agricultural/Implement - 20MPH" or some such.

This allows the driver, who is legally responsible for the vehicle on the road, to use non-approved tyres commensurate with the vehicle age; and indeed you can privately "import" such stuff for personal use. I see some people are circumventing the law by selling tubes and flaps at a huge price but you get a free tyre with them. . . . . . . . . . .
Rex Ward had a container load of 7.50-20 GMC truck tyres made in China, apparently they are selling well in the UK. Note they are FREE with the purchase of a tube and flap!

I know the Jimmy is more abundant than the CMP, but surely the same sort of deal must be possible on a load of 9.00-16 tyres?

H.
Attached Thumbnails
rexward7.50-20tyres.jpg  
Old 27-12-05, 14:38
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Another type of WW2 tyre pattern seen, particularly in North Africa, is the 10.50-16 spare on this LRDG Chev. I have seen this tyre in 10.50-16, 9.00-16 and 9.00-13. Does anyone still make them?
Attached Thumbnails
wb30-5.jpg  
Old 27-12-05, 14:50
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Well, browsing the Bridgestone Australia site, I found that Firestone (now a subsidiary of Bridgestone) makes something called an ANS farm, a very close match to the worn 9.00-16 I've pictured below. The only problem is the smallest size is 13.50-16 (Bloody huge). I wonder if they could be persuaded to produce a smaller tyre in this tread?
Attached Images

Old 27-12-05, 20:43
Bluebell

Default Of no help, but...

Commonly referred to as a "sand tyre" I had a 900x16 (ww2 vintage) It was labelled" made in the federal republic of Suid Afrika". I've seen a few tractors at schools and golf clubs that tow lawn mowers fitted with tyres of the same tread pattern.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 13-04-06, 03:20

Just a report on MRF 900x16 tyres (tires).

Took my WC53 Dodge Carryall to Corowa from Brisbane doing well over 4,000km (2,500 miles) all together last month.

Had quite a bit of trouble with the mix of old tyres. Threw the tread on two BF Goodrich which although several years old appeared undamaged or cracked on departure. A well worn Hankook tyre was still going strong when changed because of low tread remaining.

I got a complete set of MRF tyres (military non-directional) from Agtyre at Moree and put them on. These now have around 3,000km (1,900 miles) on them. Wear is really outstanding as most of the tyres still have the "tits" on the edges of the tread. Grip on the road is noticeably better during hard cornering on bitumen (might be due to the fact other tyres were older and harder while the MRF's are new and springy rubber).

If asked to choose, I would say the MRF's are the equal of or better than American or other Asian brands. We are taking the Dodge to Fraser Island for Easter - will report on their performance at 12psi in the sand when I get back. I think they will go well as the side walls are very "rubbery" (amazing that!) and should bulge nicely without overheating or cracking.

By the way, I have 6 brand new 2006 production MRF 900x16 with new tubes and rust bands for sale well below local tyre fitters prices.

Lang
Old 26-08-06, 21:52

Default A new 9.00-13 military tyre ?

Just seen today in the IMPS (Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society) newsletter:

"Vintage Tyre Supplies regularly recieve enquiries for discontinued tyres, sometimes the moulds still exist and have simply fallen out of popularity, when this happens we've often been able to gently coax the manufacturers to re-establish limited production. Recently we have been asked to supply a 9.00-13 military tyre, the last known production was by Olympic tyres several years ago but unfortunately very little seems known as to the whereabouts of the tyre moulds. Therefore, we are now considering the commision of a completely new mould in a pattern yet to be decided, our problem is of course try to asses the level of interest and whether it is worth doing as the minimum quantity is in the region of 250 pieces.
This is where you come in! If you have a vehicle fitted with this tyre size (listed below) I would be very interested to hear from you, at the moment the most popular tread pattern is the Dunlop EST bit I'm aware of other possibilities. If the project goes ahead it is likely the tyre will be marked Waymaster (our in house brand) or simply left blank with only the size marking and manufacturers codes shown.
As far as we are aware the vehicles fitted with this tyre are;
Ford WOA2, WOC1
Humber Snipe saloon and tourer plus heavy utility and FFW radio truck
Morris Commercial PU radio truck
Canadian Ford C11ADF heavy utility
Canadian Ford F8 and Chevrolet C8 wireless truck
40mm Bofors AA gun

I can be contacted at the following address,
Chris Marchant
Vintage Tyre Supplies Ltd.,
National Motor Museum,
Beaulieu,
Hants,
SO42 7ZN
Tel 01590 612261
Fax. 01590 612722

Email chris AT vintagetyres.com "

(substitute @ for AT, as an anti spam)

there would be a good number of members on here that will be interested me thinks.

Richard
Old 21-01-07, 10:41
Graeme Jamieson

Could be worth following up JetStream spray carts used this tyre for years in OZ. Spray cart tyre rolling radius is critical to accurate spray delivery so tyres of precisisely the same diameter are essential to primary producers. Check the spray cart suppliers near you.

Olympic 9.00x13
Attached Thumbnails
imgp2807a.jpg   imgp2806a.jpg  
Old 21-01-07, 13:59

Default Beaulieu

They are just down the road really from me, and interestingly I saw their Transit van in the Dibden / Hythe Tesco's supermarket recently so thought whether they could "do the honours". If it helps in any way I can go and see them...I have a pretext as a journo for VINTAGE ROADSCENE as we should be doing a piece on them and how they can provide tyres/tires for old commercials as well as cars/light commercials.
Old 27-01-07, 16:51

I have been following this thread for quite some time, as I have an unrestored Chev C8 that will eventually need a set of 9.00x13's. Wallace Wade Specialty Tire, here in Dallas, has a mold available for this size tire. Mr. Wade tells me that years ago, the company which produces his tires bought the holdings of a Canadian tire manufacturer. Among the lot, was this mold.
Lately, I have spoken to Mr. Wade again about the possibility of manufacturing some of the tires, as there are many in the hobby who need them. He says yes, but would need a paid order for 100 tires before he would make them. They would be of 4 ply construction, and cost roughly $100 U.S. each. The reason an exact price cannot be place on them is that the mold has not been inspected for damage yet. If repairs have to be made to the mold, the price will be higher.
As to the appearance of the sidewall and tread pattern, he can only tell me that the mold is for a "non-directional, 9.00x13 military tire", as the mold is in Pennsylvania at the tire manufacturing plant, and not in Dallas for him to personally examine. I have asked for photos of it, so will post them when they become available.
Keep in mind that Mr. Wade is a busy man, and although very interested in making these tires, it is not his top priority. he says that over the years several people have inquired about these tires, but not enough to warrant making them. I am sure, however, that if enough serious interest is shown these tires will be made! You can contact his staff at wallacewade@earthlink.net, and let him know you are interested.
Old 29-01-07, 13:58
MLU Administrator

Ad found on MilWeb, no connections to the seller, I posted this just to show every now and then some old stock Olympics come up for sale. But I'm sure the 8-cwt folks agree on the need for a source of new tyres.

Quote:
900 x 13 Olympic sand grip tyres and rims

4 off. WD marked good condition. £500.
01233 820219

Kerry 25 January '07
Attached Thumbnails
30989.jpg  
Old 04-02-07, 11:28

Default Tyre Help

Following the leads on this thread I checked with vintage tyres;

"David Thomson" <david@vintagetyres.com>

and now I'm waiting for their last NOS 8,25 x 18" 10 ply to be delivered to add to the parts pile for Puff the MH SnoGo. I could really have used two, but finding even one was a bonus.

Now then, to find another without going to the only current supplier - in China. Vintage tyres did a check in the US and couldn't get another from their supplier there.
Old 03-04-08, 01:56
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Default 9.00 x 13 Tires

I'm new to the CMP world, having recently completed the details of the purchase of a F8, 4x 2 truck. Although the tires are still inflated (one is saging a bit) I suspect that they will be a needed purchase as I intend on driving it to shows and reenactments.

I've checked all the tires sources I can find to no avail. The last place I started to look at farm implement tires. However, now that I have access to this site, I thought I might save myself some work if any of you had any sources. I live in Arizona but would be willing to bear the freight costs from any supplier you all could recommend.

I'm aware that these size tires are scarcer than hens' teeth so any words of comfort will be appreciated!
Old 03-04-08, 02:45
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Hi, Jim and welcome to Maple Leaf Up.

Much has been written on 9.00-13 tyres, but little has been found in the way of a suitable new replacement product. I'm afraid you're limited to scouring swapmeets for usable 2nd hand tyres, or settling for modern styles with ATV or agricultural tread patterns!

Read up on the subject here.
Old 03-04-08, 03:06

Dirk Leegwater still has tires posted on his site. I think the shipping would be prohibitive though. Tires are near the bottom of this page.

http://www.lwdparts.com/vwwvehprts?o...id=a&count=100

Paul