MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 25-06-07, 10:42
Blitzed

Default Club Historic Rego plates

Good evening all,
To the MLUers out there who have Club Historic ( am I saying that correctly? ) rego plates on their vehicles? What I would like to know is what are the costs involved?
I take it you need to be a member of a club for starters, but what other restrictions are applied? Is it dearer than normal rego? Any and all information is welcome.

Regards
Ryan
Old 25-06-07, 11:00

Here in NSW Historic rego is $55 for a year, you also are required to have comprehensive insurance and yes you do have to be a financial member of an approved club. I have found you can get insurance reasnobly cheap as the insurers are aware of the historic rego regulations and they have policies tailored around that. The vehicle has to have a roadworthy cert or the like from your clubs officials.
I see you are in Victoria but I'm guessing its similar to NSW.
Old 25-06-07, 12:50
RIP

Default South Australia

To obtain Concessional/Historic registration here is as follows:
1/ Vehicle has to be in the right age bracket - 30yrs I think.
2/ Owner has to belong to an approved and relevant club.
3/ Obtain approval from the club vehicle registrar.
4/ Obtain the concessional registration from DMV.
5/ Obtain a log book that has to be filled out prior to a trip. This log book allows 90 x 24hr trips per year.
6/ Registration/Third Party Insurance are at the 90 pro-rata rate with the other insurance, i.e. Third Party Property Fire and Theft or Comprehensive up to the owner but again at the pro-rata rate. Shannons Insurance is the prefered Insurance Company who will insure sight unseen as they consider Concessional or Historic owners to be responsible persons.
7/ Main condition is that vehicle is not used to gain a financial advantage, eg., wedding hire, commercial carrying, etc.

I believe we have the best deal in the country.

Bob
Old 25-06-07, 14:25
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Hi Ryan

The club reg. system varies a lot from state to state . The Victorian system is under major review at the moment . The AOMC (Victorian association of motoring clubs) , is pushing to get the South Aust. system for Victoria . The Police , and Vicroads are discussing it with the AOMC .

At present ,you don't need a roadworthy cert. from a garage in Victoria . Again , it varies from club to club as to how the rules are enforced , but , normally the club nominates a inspection officer , he checks the vehicle over and signs a form saying the car is safe . You can also go and get a roadworthy if you want to ......
You need to be a club member and the secretary has to sign the registration renewal form, for your car, each year .

The cost is about $100 a year I think . plus insurance etc.

They are also talking about issuing new style plates as the old ones are about to run out of numbers .

e.g. they began at CH 0000 , now , they are close to CH 10000 .

You can read about it on the AOMC web site .

http://www.aomc.asn.au/

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad

Last edited by Mike Kelly; 25-06-07 at 14:37.
Old 25-06-07, 15:25
RIP

In Ontario, as in many US states, you can now get permission to use "Year of Manufacture" plates. You must find a set of plates that were issued for that type of vehicle (i.e., you cannot put taxi cab plates on a truck, etc..) and the plates must be in perfect condition. I am told that the province does not allow restored plates but if these are done correctly they would not know. The drawback is the cost. Last time I looked it was CDN$237.30 - identical to the cost of ordering vanity plates. This is grossly ufair as the vanity plates are custom stamped and supplied by the province while the YOM plates are supplied by the client and the province need only do paperwork.
Old 25-06-07, 22:33
Blitzed

Default Great information

Thank you Robert, Bob and Mike for your replies, you've given me great info. Thanks for the weblink too. Thanks too to Clive but it seems you are getting quite a raw deal over there.
Ryan
Old 26-06-07, 12:43
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
. Last time I looked it was CDN$237.30 - identical to the cost of ordering vanity plates.
' Vanity plates ', what a quaint term that is !

They are known as personalised plates here and they cost a bloody fortune . Vicroads were issuing copies of period style plates for a while e.g., you could order a set of the 1939-1953 style plates and nominate what reg . number you wanted . These plates had the VIC vertically down the LH side . But, they were slightly different to the originals , not an exact copy .

You can sell/buy personalised plates here and you see ridiculous prices , in the thousands . Stuff like GMH 000 etc. or FJ 1953 , I think somebody has got BLITZ already , on a CMP . Jeep42 is another one I've seen . You can get ham radio calls now too .

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 27-06-07, 12:47
Rick Cove

Default Victorian Club Registration

Ryan,

Jill and I are delegates to the Association Of Motoring Clubs Inc. here in Victoria, Australia.

There is a misnomer that Club Permit is a form of REGISTRATION. This is not the case but is only a PERMIT TO USE AN UNREGISTERED VEHICLE on Victorian roads. If you are stopped by the police you must have the correct paperwork with you at all times or face a large fine and loss of demerit points.

To put a vehicle onto "Club Permit Registration" in Victoria, you have to do the following.

1st. You must be a member of an authorised Club.(Authorised by VicRoads, the AOMC and the Federation of Motoring Clubs.)
The Victorian Military Vehicle Corps Inc. is one such Club.

2nd. The vehicle must be roadworthy.(Either a RWC or an official letter from your club comfirming vehicle safety.)

3rd. The vehicle MUST only be used for Club activities, or for the purpose of repairing or servicing the vehicle in connection with club activities.

4. You must also have proof of ownership, (a receipt for purchase).
and I have heard recently that you also have to supply proof of previous registration in any state in Australia.

This Permit does not limit you to only your Club, you may attend other authorised Clubs' functions under the system, provided you have the documentation from that Authorised Club.(Newsletter etc).

There are SPECIAL USE vouchers available for other uses like family weddings, funerals, extended trips in conjunction with an official club use etc.

There are currently negotiations taking place with Vicroads and the AOMC/FEDERATION to change to a system simular to the South Australian system of a 90 day permit. This is still some way off. Possibly 9-12 months away.

The current cost for Club Permit is $100.40 per year.

This is a precis of the requirements for the permit. All Clubs under the system carry a list of do's and don'ts, and requirements.
Good Luck, Rick
1940 F30S Cab11
1940 Chev WA LRDG "Te Hai"
1941 F60L Cab12
1943 Ford Lynx
1942 Bren Gun Carrier VR no.2250
Humber FV1601A
Saracen Mk1(?)
25pdr. 1940 Weir No.266
25pdr. Australian Short No.185 (?)
KVE Member.
Old 28-06-07, 01:38
Blitzed

Default Cheers

Thanks heaps Rick.
Old 29-06-07, 16:29
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Club Historic Rego plates

Quote:
Originally posted by rynoki
Good evening all,
To the MLUers out there who have Club Historic ( am I saying that correctly? ) rego plates on their vehicles? What I would like to know is what are the costs involved?
Ryan
In Texas one may forgo installing Vintage Vehicle plates on their MV by simpling sending TXDOT (Texas Dept. of Transportation) a photo of the WD numbers you have painted on your vehicle. The MV still must be registered and the fees payed every two years if you drive the vehicle on public roads. As for insurance, I get full coverage (Fire, Theft, Collision, Comprehensive, and Liability) for 125.00 a year from Hagerty's. I traller my CMP to all events more than a short drive away and the towing vehicle's insurance then covers the CMP.