MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 21-08-11, 21:49

Question Ambridge & Thompson Jump Smock.

Hello all,

I have here a Canadian Jump smock made by Ambridge & Thompson in 1989. I have had it for a few years thinking it was just your average "army coat". Then It dawned on me that I really havent seen anyone else with one, thus leading me to beleave its somewhat of a special piece. I have some pictures first to show you guys, then I'll ask my questions............

As you can see, the shape is somewhat poor. However, the "White wings" are present. My main question, what kind of value could an example like this hold? I'm not the type to cair much about the value of things like this because I beleave thay were made to be used and therefore should be. But I've been told by acouple guys who have actuly earned there wings that its disrespectful to wair the patches without earning them. I dont want to offend, so I dont wair the jacket.( I have nicer ones that I would rather wair) So no point in having the thing if I cant use it eh?

Anyway, I hope you guys can help out. I've been offered a Cooey 75 as a trade for the jacket and am still not sure about it.

Thanks all.

Ti
Old 22-08-11, 03:11

Default Parachute Jackets

Generally unissued examples in wearable sizes run in the $100.00 to $120.00 range. For yours, if I were you, I would take the trade.
Old 22-08-11, 03:43
Terry Warner

If the pockets, snaps and flap are in barbed wire condition, why are the wings in perfect shape? Take the trade.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 22-08-11, 04:06
carrier mech

Guys from Petawawa who wore those coats told me that supply was very "thrifty" about exchanging them. They needed to be very worn to get a replacement. It would not be unlike a soldier to cut a pocket or two in order to get that parade square ready new coat.

Aside from the thousands of minty ones that hit the market, any used ones that I have seen in surplus stores were usually in pretty poor condition, with many of the mothing holes sewn over while in service.

I, too, would go for the cooey if I had any interest in such a rifle.