MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 05-05-17, 15:07
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post
Darrell, the reason I ask is, from what I understand, these monuments are outside the DND asset system that people call "The DA" or Distribution Account.

There is a policy that only item on the DA are allowed as monuments on DND property.

As a result there is an administrative bun fight ongoing in eastern Ontario between DND and a LAV monument. The monument has been in the area for over a year and the fight continues.

I would however say that if I were in that fight I would use the M74 monument as my leverage to the the LAV installed.
We have two concurrent systems within our museum for holding of artifacts. There is the "DA" (although that is no longer the official term) and a parallel system of our accessions list, which is for artifacts acquired outside of the official DND system. Either system's assets can go on display here. Small arms, for instance, donated from civilians are to be brought onto charge in the DND system.

DHH's loan system also runs two separate systems, one for DND and one for civilian loans. The DND stuff goes on the "DA". Our museum often holds vehicles and guns which have since been loaned to other bases, armories or museums, often without the transfer being done on the "DA". The loans are generally open ended which can cause problems when the artifacts are reloaned, transferred or somehow disposed of and we start to lose track of them. There is nothing like seeing your museum's accession numbers on an ebay item. To that end, a phone call every couple years to confirm the artifact is still there goes a long way to reminding the borrower who owns what.

Last edited by rob love; 24-11-18 at 14:43.
Old 30-06-18, 04:40
carrier mech

CFB Shilo purchased one of these monument LAVs, which I had the pleasure of dressing up a bit before it went to it's dedication ceremony. Looks better than the standard slabside monument version. The site is still awaiting permanent fencing around the vehicle, but for now the ropes at least define a boundary.

Shilo lost 20 members to the Afghanistan conflict. My hope was to re-construct the LAV in such a way as to invoke memories, both good and bad. Several of the speakers at the ceremony said exactly that.
Attached Thumbnails
LAVMON1.jpg   LAVMON2.jpg   LAVMON3.jpg   LAVMON6.jpg   LAVMON5.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 30-06-18 at 05:05.
Old 30-06-18, 05:30
GM Fox I

Well done Rob.
Old 30-06-18, 16:23

Much more interesting than the stripped down versions. Great work Rob!
Old 30-06-18, 20:41
metal urgest

Great job Rob.

You certainly are a credit to the military community! Both officially and for this hobby.
Old 30-06-18, 22:11
carrier mech

Thanks for the compliments, but I am certain any military collector would have been thrilled at the task.

A lot of it is "hollywood": that is to say it looks good from 20 feet. I really did not like the flat plate that replaced the mantlet. It made the area very boring. First step was smoke dischargers. The originals are 76mm, but being considered a weapon in the CF, and the majority of the parts being either accountable or NDHQ controlled, I had to make them from scratch. These are less than 76mm. The size was dictated by what I could find for the rubber caps. In the end, the rubber caps from the single pin slave cables became smoke discharger caps.

To add more depth, I built a dummy C6, as well as the mount for it. I used what few parts that I had for the FN MAG58, and added whatever else would work. The flash hider, for instance, is off a FNC1, the cocking handle is Bren mk2. The rivets on the receiver are simply there for show...the receiver is made up of steel plates welded together and the rivets are put through their holes and welded from the inside. In the end, I was still not happy with the look of the turret, so a strip of scrap camouflage net was painted at the last hour (literally) and placed across the mantlet.

The M36 MLVW I have at the shop was used to pull it the two blocks into position. For some reason the Shilo stag posted a video if it's arrival, and showed me jockeying back and forth trying to get it onto the right spot. There are stands that have to be installed underneath, and they have to match the steel plates placed in the concrete. Most people could not understand why I was going back and forth. CE had already warned they would not have time to repair the grass if I tore it up the day before the ceremony. I also had to run over a reasonable size lilac bush to get it there. The old saying "you can't kill a lilac" proved once again to be true, as it retook it's shape immediately after being run over by an MLVW and a LAV.
Old 05-07-18, 03:27

Default Fort McMurray LAV3

Guys,

Fort McMurray now has a LAV3 monument as well. While not to Robs standard, it is a good symbol of Fort McMurray's rebuild, as well as a tribute to our veterans. Jack Cross's Chieftain continues to grace the Legion's compound.

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1320.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	919.2 KB
ID:	100732

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	772.9 KB
ID:	100733
Old 05-07-18, 15:04
carrier mech

That LAV was basically what we received.

I read where one town in Alberta wanted to bring in one of the LAV monuments, and the estimates were it was going to cost them $150,000 by the time the landscaping was done. The city decided to back out, so the private group has told the city all it wants is the patch of land to put it on, and they would handle every thing else.

I think I heard there was some vandalism to the Ft McMurray LAV involving a bucket of paint. Always a shame when things like these are desecrated.

Last edited by rob love; 05-07-18 at 15:10.
Old 05-07-18, 18:09

Default Shilo LAV monument

Very well done Rob !

A really fitting tribute for those who fell, those who have returned unscathed and those who have returned wounded or broken up .

I regularly meet some who have physically returned but have never psychologically or mentally returned home.

As for the vandals , protesters and paint terrorists , our women and men have fallen in order to safeguard their right to demonstrate, protest and be stupid. We live in a free and open society because of the fallen of Shilo and other Bases and Militia armouries all over Canada .

We shall remember them.

You are doing a great job of doing exactly that Rob !

94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 19-07-18 at 17:41.
Old 24-11-18, 14:49
carrier mech

Here is a shot of the LAV from the Shilo Stag, with that white stuff on top of it and highlighted by the lights at night. Although permanent posts have been put in, it is still waiting for the permanent chains. It's nearing 6 months with no vandalism.

In another couple months, the snow should be well up to about the top of the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
LAVmonument winter.jpg