MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 31-03-20, 17:32

Default M31c Machine gun mount

Good day All
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I would be able to ship this M31c Machine gun mount across the US/Canada border?

Cheers
TJ

Last edited by TJ Hall; 31-03-20 at 17:55.
Old 31-03-20, 19:14

Speaking from near total ignorance of ITAR rules, my advice would be to be honest but not overly informative when describing it. Maybe "support assembly". It is an assembly, it does support...
I assume it would be dis-assembled for compactness of shipping, reducing the chance of anyone mistaking it for a tripod.
If I had a choice of a Willys part number and a NSN, the Willys might sound less war-like...
I suspect that anything mentioning a weapon could cause a flurry of questions even if the parts are totally incapable of causing any harm (except when swung as a club).
You could ask the vendor if they have experience shipping this particular part cross-border.

Please don't take this as legal or well-informed advice.
Old 31-03-20, 20:11
carrier mech

My own experience with these types of things are that you will have a problem on the US side as opposed to the Canadian side. On our side, there is a special class for parts and accessories exclusively for automatic weapons, however, there are non-restricted versions of these now. On the US side, there were recently some changes to ITAR and who enforces it as well as the dollar limit.

I would suggest you get a hold of Irunguns in Alberta. He does monthly imports, and he will know if it is attainable or not. There is a fee for his service to import it. Basically, it will get sent to his companies US counterpart, the export paperwork will be filled as well as any import permits required, and he will bring them across monthly.
Old 31-03-20, 20:18

Thanks very much Rob, that helps a lot. I thought you might know what to do and see my post.

Cheers
TJ
Old 14-06-20, 11:12

Just a heads up for anyone wondering yes you can import an M31c mount. I ordered mine from D&L Bensinger along with a few other Jeep parts and they called it a mount post for Jeep. Not a Machinegun mount and it is best to order from a Jeep parts company and not a gun company. It will cost you but if you have to have one you can get it across the border. It did not come with the brackets that are welded onto the frame. I got them from Gary's Bunker and they are really very accurate copies even down to the numbers on the side. A big thanks to both Daryl, Lida and Gary.

Cheers
TJ

Last edited by TJ Hall; 14-06-20 at 11:37.