MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 01-09-20, 20:52
Rob D.

Default M151A2 Import question

Can the M151A2 Mutt be exported out of the USA and into Canada. Are there any restrictions on the US or Canada side ? Thank you
Old 01-09-20, 21:05
carrier mech

The M151A2 is listed as demil Q, which means it is controlled by either the export control list or the US commerce control list. Tecnically, you have to get export and import permits, much like you would for a HMMWV.
You will also run into a problem if you try putting it on the road. Most guys will list it as a CJ5, since the M151A2 will not be listed on the registration or insurance pick list.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-09-20, 00:18
Rob D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
The M151A2 is listed as demil Q, which means it is controlled by either the export control list or the US commerce control list. Tecnically, you have to get export and import permits, much like you would for a HMMWV.
You will also run into a problem if you try putting it on the road. Most guys will list it as a CJ5, since the M151A2 will not be listed on the registration or insurance pick list.

Your mileage may vary.
Thank you Rob, have you or anyone here imported controlled MV's from the USA ?
Old 02-09-20, 01:21
carrier mech

Again, some guys will just show up to the border (after following the basic import requirements like 2 days notice to US customs) and get through. The odd one might get the process stopped.

I was slightly involved in the importation of one of a package of 3 HMMWVs. I basically paid for it to the US seller, and a broker handled the rest. The movie company that wanted the 3 humvees footed the brokers bill along with the transport. They even paid the GST for us.

Our first hiccup came when we went to register them after the movie was done, and they had their safeties. There is some customs Canada form that must be presented before registration. The broker did not get that, so made up the form, and my friend (who brought in the other 2) took them to customs in Winnipeg and an hour or so later they were stamped.

There were further problems, first with the serial number (it was not the 18 digit VIN they are used to) and then a little more problem when the 6 digit number on mine had already been used on a homebuilt ORV somewhere in North America. I had to apply for a Manitoba VIN, and the inspectors started mumbling about if these were suitable for the road or not. Luckily, the final inspectors I dealt with were car guys, and all sailed through. But at one point I almost had a 7,000 pound lawn ornament.

The customs form said something about when I was done with the vehicle, it was to be surrendered to Canada Customs, but I am not really clear on that. I do see some being sold freely here in Canada. But I was on an end user certificate for the vehicle.
Old 02-09-20, 13:47
Rob D.

Great info thank you Rob, if I go down this route I will make sure to have all bases covered. Have a great day
Old 03-09-20, 17:17

Default No issue with insurance or registration in ON

In Ontario I had no issue plating my M151a2 as a M151a2.

I also insured it with Hagerty. They have it classified correctly and as Military.

Thanks
Eric