MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 19-06-20, 14:10
Terry Warner

Default Ont R Centurion is running

I saw a Facebook video this morning that the Ont R's Centurion is running and driving. Well done fellas!

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 19-06-20, 16:20
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

https://www.facebook.com/Ontario.Reg...81563939403694

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 23-06-20, 04:33

You beat me to it, Terry!
Yes, we got her out in the field for a blast and she went well. That Meteor engine has lots of power!
I need some practice on the driving. The turning circle is far too big in 4th for our arena, and I have to swing wide to do it in third, so I found myself having to squeeze in two downshifts down to second at the end of the arena before I could start turning. Total brain overload.
One problem - both final drive input shaft oil seals and I think one transmission output seal started leaking after a while. I hadn't touched these, hoping they would be ok. I was wrong. So the transmission's coming out,which isn't too difficult, and the search for seals is starting.
Richard Banister says he may have some and I'll contact Tim Vibert in Oz.
Malcolm
Old 23-06-20, 06:01
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Towrie View Post
One problem - both final drive input shaft oil seals and I think one transmission output seal started leaking after a while.

Malcolm
You know the Cent better than me, but can I ask what oil you are using in the transmission and final drives?

A conversation in the Carrier Forum reveals that the Cent was specified to use OC600 oil in the transmission, a heavy viscous oil: http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...408#post270408

Mac's Auto sell a similar heavy gear oil (disclaimer: NOT stated to be equivalent to OC600), and they state that it's use was specified "in differentials because full floating rear axles were not in general use, and allowance had to be made in the seals to allow the axle to move up and down as far as a quarter inch. To prevent the oil from leaking at the wheels the lubricant was made to cling to the gears. The same principle applies to transmissions and steering boxes.

The main causes of oil leaking at the rear wheels are worn seals or bearings, but over filling and/or using a lighter weight lubricant than recommended can also cause leaks."

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...rt-bottle.html

If you say removing the Transmission is an easy job, then go ahead, but it might be even easier to confirm the appropriate viscosity of oil is not the cause of the leaks.
Old 23-06-20, 10:30

Default C600

Hi Tony and Malcolm,
Just in case you do not know, C600 is an army designation for a standard gear oil with a viscosity of SAE140, this is not an EP oil, it is what we in UK refer to as a 'Straight 140' and easily available as it is often specified for worm drive axles.

Poured gallons of it in my working life!

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 24-06-20, 01:29

Default From the EMEI (Aust)

Centurion oils as per EMEI (Aust) VEH M360 issue 2, November 1973:

Main engine: OMD-110 (O-180) viscosity, cS at 210 deg F= 9.7 to 13.0
Gearbox: OC600 (O-208) viscosity, cS, at 210 degrees F = 29 to 32.
Final drives: OEP-220 (O184) viscosity cS at 210 deg F= 15.6 to 18.0

Oil specs from DEF (Aust) 206A.

From my limited experience, leaving any vehicle for years without turning a track/wheel will allow the upper part of the seals not in the oil to harden and when eventually run, to leak. This Cent was a gate guard for a long time, I seem to recall.

Nice job, Malcolm - congrats, it has come a long way since I saw it.

Mike
Old 24-06-20, 05:08

Tony and Richard, that's some good information on the oils in the Centurion. Thanks. I don't know what oil is in the transmission and final drives as it was changed before I got involved, but the leakage is bad enough it is not likely to be completely fixed by going to a thicker oil so I'm going to bite the bullet and change the seals.

Mike is dead right. This Cent was gate-guarded in the late '70's, we got it in the early '90's, and I left the transmission and final drives that had sat static for at least 40 years as-is. Considering they only need new seals, I got off easily!
Malcolm
Old 24-06-20, 14:10
Terry Warner

Default Sorry Malcolm

Sorry I scooped your premier driving the Centurion. It was just too good a sight to pass up.

There is a Centurion in Hull parked at the Regiment de Hull armoury. As I recall it was at Cote de Neiges armoury in Montreal, and made the road trip at least ten years ago when the then-serving Reg Force WO made some kind of deal. I think he retired and may have left the area.

From conversations, the interior is complete and was preserved, if that is the right word, with a liberal spraying of oil. On hot days the oil would drip out. It might be a candidate for parts swaps.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 25-06-20, 02:54

No problem, Terry.
Thanks for the info on the Hull tank. But actually, our tank is pretty complete in the interior. I suspect our tank was one of the last to be taken out of service so it wasn't gutted for parts.

Malcolm