MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-05, 23:17
Rob McCue's Avatar
Rob McCue Rob McCue is offline
Sgt Ret'd
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Spruce Grove AB
Posts: 49
Default Request for photos and/or CT #

Hello,

I am currently trying to assist the Loyal Edmonton Regiment (LER)in Edmonton find a picture and/or a confirmed registration number for a Bren Gun Carrier that they are having restored. They are hoping to find a picture to use as a guide for the painting of the marks. Some Info for the pers looking;

LER or 49th Bn was with 1st Cdn Infantry Division

their unit designation was a white 62 on a green background.

as part of the 2nd Cdn Inf Bde.

Can anyone assist us?

Cheers,
Rob McCue
Sgt
SALH
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-12-05, 19:37
Gunner Gunner is offline
T' Guns thank God t' guns
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Near Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 776
Default WWII Vehicle Markings

Rob:

Try Mike Dorosh's excellent website:

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/

Click on 'vehicles' and then select the sub menu heading vehicle markings for a superb explanation of what, where and when the markings were applied.

Mike
__________________
Mike Calnan
Ubique!
("Everywhere", the sole Battle Honour of the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery)
www.calnan.com/swords
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-12-05, 06:15
Rob McCue's Avatar
Rob McCue Rob McCue is offline
Sgt Ret'd
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Spruce Grove AB
Posts: 49
Default CT #

Good site,

But still need a CT # for a Loyal Edmonton Regt Carrier, and if possible a picture of the vehicle.


Cheers,

Rob McCue
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29-12-05, 21:46
Nigel Watson's Avatar
Nigel Watson Nigel Watson is offline
British Indian Army
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Caledonia, (Scotland)
Posts: 488
Default Re: Request for photos and/or CT #

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob McCue
Hello,

I am currently trying to assist the Loyal Edmonton Regiment (LER)in Edmonton find a picture and/or a confirmed registration number for a Bren Gun Carrier that they are having restored. They are hoping to find a picture to use as a guide for the painting of the marks. Some Info for the pers looking;

LER or 49th Bn was with 1st Cdn Infantry Division

their unit designation was a white 62 on a green background.

as part of the 2nd Cdn Inf Bde.

Can anyone assist us?

Cheers,
Rob McCue
Sgt

If the Loyal Edmonton Regiment is the same as the Edmonton Regiment then I can say that it was issued with carriers with the following CT (War Office) numbers.
CT 29002, 004, 006-008, 011;
CT29112, 117, 129, 130.

It is unlikely that the tracks on your carrier are original, but if they are you may be able to narrow down the CT number as follows.

If your track is marked with any one of these letters, IH/CS-3, then you choose from CT 29002, 004, 006, 112, 117 & 129. These tracks were made by International Harvester prior to 1941.
If the tracks have FM-41-FD on them then you choose from the remaining numbers as these were made by Ford Motors, again prior to November 1941.

Please note that this is only a section of issued vehicles and there will be others which I do not have documentation for, but with luck it is a start. Look forward to seeing and hearing more.

Nigel

SALH
__________________
He that blaws in the stour fills his ain e'en


1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30-12-05, 00:10
Rob McCue's Avatar
Rob McCue Rob McCue is offline
Sgt Ret'd
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Spruce Grove AB
Posts: 49
Default Thank You Nigel

I appreciate your help Nigel , and yes the 49th Battalion or "Edmonton Regt" is now called the Loyal Edmonton Regt.

I appreciate your assistance in this matter. And the track
number info is great, that will make the desicion much easier.

Cheers,

Rob McCue
Sgt
SALH
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30-12-05, 04:45
servicepub (RIP)'s Avatar
servicepub (RIP) servicepub (RIP) is offline
RIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,734
Default Re: Re: Request for photos and/or CT #

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel
If the Loyal Edmonton Regiment is the same as the Edmonton Regiment then I can say that it was issued with carriers with the following CT (War Office) numbers.
CT 29002, 004, 006-008, 011;
CT29112, 117, 129, 130.

It is unlikely that the tracks on your carrier are original, but if they are you may be able to narrow down the CT number as follows.

If your track is marked with any one of these letters, IH/CS-3, then you choose from CT 29002, 004, 006, 112, 117 & 129. These tracks were made by International Harvester prior to 1941.
If the tracks have FM-41-FD on them then you choose from the remaining numbers as these were made by Ford Motors, again prior to November 1941.
Nigel,
Please, we try to deal with specifics here. Vague information such as yours is of little use.
PS. Re: Hooded carrier (see thread - I have no idea how to link to it). I have 8 views of this beast. Let me know if you need any for your project. I may have other photos of interest to you.

Clive
__________________
Those who live by the sword will be shot by those of us who have progressed.
- M38A1, 67-07800, ex LETE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30-12-05, 15:43
Stewart Loy Stewart Loy is offline
T-16, C15A
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Out in the woods near Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 871
Default Re: Re: Re: Request for photos and/or CT #

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
Let me know if you need any for your project.
Nigel,

Speaking of " that project ", how is it coming?

A great number of stockings remained unstuffed again this Christmas in want of your book. I am not sure how much longer I can be good whilst I wait ...


Stewart
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30-12-05, 19:12
Nigel Watson's Avatar
Nigel Watson Nigel Watson is offline
British Indian Army
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Caledonia, (Scotland)
Posts: 488
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Request for photos and/or CT #

Quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Loy
Nigel,

Speaking of " that project ", how is it coming?

A great number of stockings remained unstuffed again this Christmas in want of your book. I am not sure how much longer I can be good whilst I wait ...


Stewart
Sorry guys I have had a sh***y two years. First my big op, next my big warehouse fire, then my best pal died (Military vehicle chap too), then a law suit re the fire, my mum died in October and my wife has had a major op in December. But things are changing, my wifes results are completely clear and my carrier starts fine. My dingo (burnt in fire) is being restored and I have bought a 1940 Ford Fordor Staff Car and a 1942 Matchless G3L. The project is now being well and truly kickstarted so will keep you all informed.

Clive I would be interested in that carrier photo/s with the roof! Its amazing and I laughed at the fact there are no seat backs, presumably so the crew could slide back and get lower! The blood stains on the roof next to the rubber head pads worried me! I also think this was an attempt to run a carrier along the seabed after they tried to float them, in case they were put ashore too soon!!

Have been reading posts regularly if not contributing much!, but in the words of Freddy "I'm back"!!!

Nigel
__________________
He that blaws in the stour fills his ain e'en


1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Maple Leaf Up, 2003-2016