MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 05-03-04, 14:39

Default Copyright Violation

The dark side of the web :

A friend has kindly informed me that 75 of my drawings are offered as "high quality prints" for $0.99 each on the web at
http://shop.vendio.com/car4print/category/98/ and
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2228921791.
As I have the copyright on them and have never given a permission for the commercial publication, the latter is definately illegal.
I have created my site as an informative and non-commercial attempt to bring some light to an obscure part of ww2.

Regards, Oliver [»www.o5m6.de«]
Old 05-03-04, 14:58
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Why not..

.. place a bid on a few of his posters on e-bay, then when you don't pay, give him feedback as a filthy theif and see how he explains it to everyone else on e-bay
You can also protest to e-bay and have the item removed.
Old 05-03-04, 16:38
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Copyright Violation

Quote:
Originally posted by Oliver Missing
I have created my site as an informative and non-commercial attempt to bring some light to an obscure part of ww2.
Oliver, very sad to see some people taking advantage of your excellent work.
If I were you I would ask eBay to remove the seller, take down your site and add "© Oliver Missing" to each and every picture before you put it back online.

Please keep up the good work!

H.
Old 05-03-04, 16:51
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Contact Ebay

To my knowledge, they're very good about this stuff. Write them with proof that the images have been stolen and request that the auctions be closed and the seller be removed.

Next, write the owner of that website and hint that your agents are compiling evidence for legal action against him for theft of property, but if your images are withdrawn, you will cease and desist.

Lastly, Hanno is right - you have to assert some sort of 'watermark' on the stuff you display. BTW, there are also a few javascript programs out there which will prevent right-clicking and saving - not a conclusive answer, but one which will at least stall casual theft.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-03-04, 17:28
former Resident Historian

Default ............. [speechless]

I think that this is the worst case of deliberate and despicable piracy I have come across in years. What is the point of spending the man-hours and talent to let some lowlife rip them off for personal gain.

May I also suggest that you immediately contact E bay? Regrettably legal action will cost money but the company know only too well that publication on their own websites amounts to copyright infirngement and is a criminal offence.
Old 06-03-04, 00:18
Dog Robber

Oliver:

What an absolute asshole this guy is. Didn't even have the decency to offer stuff other than yours.

I note the source country is Israel. No disrespect, my Grandparents were Jewish, even if non practicing Jewish. I don't know how it works with Ebay to "punish or ban" folks from outside the US where Ebay is based but if anyone knows a link to the Ebay fathers here I will certainly send them an email regarding the issue.

Sorry to rant, but to me this is a much larger issue than the "Crown Copyright" stuff we discuss or read about regarding photos taken 50-60 years ago which are now sort a part of history in general. Oliver has poured his life as an artist into these renderings and it deeply offends me that someone thinks so little of that effort that he can just rip Oliver off.

I can only wish I had your talents, Oliver. I cannot even successfully post photos here on a consistent basis and you can bring life to something as plain as a truck. God Bless.
Bill
Old 06-03-04, 02:00
In Vino Veritas

Default E-SCAM

Oliver , I agree with the others. I know you have done it for general knowledge of others , graciously, but you may consider lower resolution pics on the site also. Between water mark and low res thieves would'nt be able to make poster size pics. If someone wanted a larger res you could ask them to contact you for emailing for free if you still wanted to. Or charge a nominal fee. Hopefully if someone goes to the trouble to email and ask then they would respect the caveat not to sell them.
Sean
Old 06-03-04, 15:42

Default Copyright violation

Thanks a lot, guys, for your responses !

I never expected to place such unpleasant things in this excellent forum !
I have contacted E-Bay and received a kind of standardized mail from them.
The "offender" himself wrote that "he understands" and wishes a "good day" that I definately had not...
I rather had spent the time going on with the Russian Duck !
I will see what to do with the highres drawings, watermark them or pull them out completely. Would be a pity though...

Anyway, once again thanks for your support !
Oliver.