MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 18-12-06, 21:56
Graeme Jamieson

Default General Motors India

This photo album is currently on Epay. Some really interesting photographs of the plant at the closing stages of the war.
The OH&S boys would have had a feld day here.
Epay # 120055359829
Old 18-12-06, 22:57
former Resident Historian

Default BUTTT

...it's the Calcutta Engine Reconditioning Plant and not either the GM India Ltd Bombay Plant or the Karachi TUP assembly plant!

If that's $1000 then my GM Ltd, Southampton and Preston album must be worth $5000! And I paid £35 for it!! At least mine has war damage, and some assembly photos...that album is way too much for what's in it! What do others think?

I paid £450 years ago to have every print professionally copied of my album onto large-format negatives, and prints made "just in case" . Now we have professional scanning which perhaps might be thought of as being cheaper, but these days costs £30 per scan of each print with 1/2 hour of enhancement work. So I suppose it would cost about that huge figure nowadays to scan. And you will be able to see them in due course, not locked away. I also have photos of the wartime Cleckheaton Plant.
Old 18-12-06, 23:25
Blitzed

That sure is one long-winded description. It does look like it has many interesting photos but too expensive for the normal ebayer I think. Maybe he's hoping to sell it back to GM.
Old 18-12-06, 23:31
RIP

The photos aren't even tht interesting with most of them appearing to be 'tourist' style pix.
Old 18-12-06, 23:51
Blitzed

The inside the factory pics are, to me anyway. Even some pics of the personalities involved I find interesting. Gives a window back to the way things were done and who was involved.
I would love to find photos like that of the Ford factory in Geelong, Victoria, Oz.
Old 18-12-06, 23:59
former Resident Historian

Default Pix

Then you will like my album photos as they have Canadian personnel in I think two shots, no three! I am going to publish them in due course.

I just think £500/ US$1000 is far too much for a "snaps" album that does not show the Bombay Plant. If it had the Bombay assembly operation then I would offer to split the payment with a friend who has visited the old building [that closed in 1951] and has an interest and evidence of the pre-war operations.

I am very grateful for this being brought to my attention as I had no idea that there was a Calcutta plant, although the 1944 GMOO book says that various small 'shops were used all over India to carry out work and GM India used their own trucks to bring all the parts back to Bombay.