MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 02-01-13, 23:22

Default Stuck Engine new solution

Hi All

Yes, I know we have had threads on this topic in the past, but to many results of search of MLU current and archive files to figure which would be best to bring back to life, hence a new/old topic.

How do you un-stick a stuck engine one that has been sitting for 34+ years. First I've been squirting the witches brew of acetone and ATF into the engine for a month to let it soak. (thanks to whoever posted that trick on MLU) I'd tried the normal simple stuff like car in high gear and winching it across the floor, tires just slide.

So I tried something new for me and it worked.

First step was making a 4" thick wooden plug just slightly smaller diameter than the bore of the engine, then mounting my biggest wheel puller on the engine so that it was pulling straight up and square to the head. Then with a large socket to spread the load on the wood plug. Slowly then turning in the screw, once it started moving I went to the impact wrench to drive the puller which seemed to work even better. It was then a process of moving from one cylinder to another start moving the pistons up and down the stroke. As I think about it probably should have used the firing order of the engine to so as to get a full revolution of the engine, instead of just moving the pistons up and down.

Added Information-

One point occurred to me later that I'm adding to this first post is pick a cylinder that is NOT at TDC. As I think about it the best ones to start with are ones that are about at half stroke so that you have more mechanical advantage on the crank. If you pick one that is all the way up the connecting rod is in line with the crank so all the force is in a straight line on the crank instead of trying to start rotation.

Has anybody tried something like this on a really stuck engine?

I'll try the firing order approach on the second engine, I've got to get them both moving so I can figure out which is the most logical one to rebuild.

For those of you that may have noticed no I'm not working on Chevy 6 cylinder, but rather a large flathead. From this winters project a 49 Lincoln. If you want a peak at that project http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/R...%20Lincoln.htm I've just posted time lapse video of months worth of work compressed to 2 minutes.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 04-01-13 at 15:10. Reason: Add information
Old 03-01-13, 04:33
Tony Baker

Default Nice automobile!

Phil,

That has to be one of the best looking cars I have ever seen.

Stick your ferraris and lambos, give me a classic set of lines any day.

I take it that the pistons are not the domed type?
Old 03-01-13, 06:30
David Pope

Phil, is it the big Lincoln or the one based on the 1949 Mercury? Is that the big Lincoln flattie?
Here's a thread on my 1949 Mercury that I'm hotrodding
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 03-01-13, 14:45

Default 49 Lincoln Cosmopolitan Town Sedan - engine

Hi Tony and Dave

Yes, Tony the engine has flat topped pistons, 337 cubic inch, same engine as used in the big Ford Trucks like F8 but with a different cam and hydraulic valve lifters.

Though if it had the domed pistons solution would be to turn the wood push block on the lathe to fit the curve of the dome. The wood block spreading the load I hope will be the answer to not damaging the pistons even though I suspect I will end up replacing them anyway.

Dave, this is the big Lincoln the Cosmopolitan so it has a slightly longer wheelbase than the regular Lincoln, it also has the 337cubic inch engine instead of the 255 cubic inch. Haven't been able to look at your pictures yet, have to join the forum to see them, but I plan to do that. Dave do you have the overhaul manual for your Mercury? One of my projects for the near future is to scan the entire 49 Lincoln Mercury Overhaul Manual in so I can have it out in the shop. If you don't have it would be glad to burn a disk for you.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 03-01-13, 20:18
David Pope

Phil,
The manual would be great, but I won't have any of the Merc driveline left. I put in a 550 hp 460 hooked to a manual OD 4 speed trans and a narrowed 9.5 inch Ford rear end with a Detroit Locker. There's traction bars and 10 inch wide tires to try to put the power to the ground. It should be an interesting ride. My 21 year old daughter was the instigator for the project.
Those 335 cube Lincolns are pretty scarce these days, aren't they? The F8 never used them.
When unsticking a motor a good trick is to find a cylinder with the valves closed and screw the hose from a pressure washer into the spark plug hole. Squeeze the trigger and let 1000 psi do the work for you. There's no messy cleanup either.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 03-01-13, 21:53

Default Pressure washer approach

Hi Dave

The pressure washer one is a new one on me. I've use the compressed air approach only reasonably useful, have also used the grease gun and hydraulic pump approach they work but as you point out clean up problem. But in this case none of those approaches would have worked because none of the valves were sealing so no pressure build up.

Finished up getting the engine turning to day based on the firing order and observation figure out which 3 cylinders had to be pushed down in what order to get a full revolution. After two full revolutions put the torque wrench on the front end and the engine turned easy at 15-20 ft lbs.
Did manage to wear out my 35 year old wheel puller though stripped the threads out of the head of the puller. Think it was just age.

Your Merc sounds interesting, how did your daughter instigate the project?

Strange about the F8 the Lincoln books I have say it is the same block as offered for the F7 and F8 differences being different cam, solid lifters and slightly lower compression in the truck version. Did they offer a different engine in Canada for the trucks? The books round the displacement up to 337 but the actual is listed at 336.5 so are we talking about the same engine?

The overhaul manual covers the entire car not just the engine, thing is about 3" thick so scanning it in is going to take some time. Probably will get done as just before I get to a component group.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP