MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 18-08-20, 01:46

Default LRDG Chevrolet Truck Fuse panel for No11 wireless set

I have been researching details of the Long Range Desert Group and have come across an interesting photo with a detail I haven't seen before. The photo shows a Radio truck of T patrol in 1942. As you know these Chevrolet trucks were fitted with a No 11 wireless set for transmitting and receiving signals, and a civilian Phillips 635 radio receiver for the GMT time signal for accurate navigation using the stars. In the photo there is a black panel behind the drivers right elbow on the far right of the photograph. On the panel you can make out the word 'SET' which I believe in full would be 'Set No 11'. It looks like a fuse or power panel of some sort, most likely linked to the battery stowed on the running board on the RHS of the vehicle beside the driver. Having seen this photo I have found other photos showing a panel in the same area. Non radio trucks don't have this panel and I have been unable to find out any information about it.
What is it?
Is it a standard piece of kit or a panel made solely for the LRDG.
Are there any other photos and dimensions of this panel in use with any other vehicles?
It's a very intriguing photo and feature.
Attached Thumbnails
panel.jpg  
Old 18-08-20, 03:13

I don't have information about the specific panel you are asking about but wonder if it is possible that it is used to connect and control batteries, generators and wireless sets. A charging panel related to the 19 set is shown in this thread. http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...charging+panel
In some applications, the panels were not used in the vehicles but when the wireless was set up outside the vehicle.
Old 18-08-20, 03:31

Hello Charlie.

I am leaning towards Grant’s line of thought at the moment on this panel.

Do any of the other photos of them you mentioned show large circular features around three inches in diameter, and standing out from the bases of the board? These are the switches on a charging board that control what batteries would be running the wireless set and what ones are on charge from the chorehorse.

David
Old 18-08-20, 07:18

Here is the replica "Switchboard Charging No1" that I built for my Morris 8cwt. I was working with David Pope on this project before he died. His was for his Chevy 11 set, so I guess the Canadian trucks used this type too?? The item in your photo must be quite a bit smaller. Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Morris PU 84 148.jpg   Morris PU 84 150.jpg  
Old 18-08-20, 08:57

Thank you for the all replies and information.

The only other photo's only show enough to confirm that they also had these panels, but not any detail. I wasn't aware of its existence before so hadn't looked for evidence of it, but now I know what to look for it can be seen on other trucks. Its in a rather awkward position for being caught on camera, often obscured by stowage, crew and shadows.
I've email the Royal Signals Museum with the same information but they are shut due to Covid until next year.
So its most likely a charging panel (makes sense), but not a known version. Most likely had some of the same fittings re-arranged on a smaller panel to fit in the cramped location. It allowed the battery to be charged and the radio to be powered by the dedicated battery on the running board , or the truck battery (same voltage?), or isolated for transport?
Attached Thumbnails
Panel3.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 18-08-20, 09:18

Photo of C5 Charging Panel. (From old MLU posting)
Was there a different Panel for No11 Wireless sets in 1942?
It looks to be the same size (dimensions would be really appreciated), but not the same layout.
I did at one point see if it had been mounted on its side, but it still doesn't match.
No chore horse was fitted on these trucks to my knowledge. Not enough room. I presume they would have used other Patrol trucks for charging in an emergency.
Although they would have been useful when on Road Watch for a week, with all the vehicles static under camouflage.
Attached Images

Last edited by Charlie Down; 18-08-20 at 13:38.
Old 19-08-20, 05:30
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Workshops

The LRDG may have used something that was designed and built in a RASC or Corps of Signals workshop in Cairo to a particular specification given by the LRDG. The 11 set installation in those trucks was a bit of a AD HOC affair or bespoke .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 19-08-20, 10:37

I've never heard of the LRDG using a chore horse to charge batteries on Patrols so the panel would be simpler with just the option of the battery being charged by the engine. So on that basis what would it need in comparison to the C5 Panel? Power can only be supplied from the battery on the running board, or the truck battery. Maybe in an emergency another truck I suppose.