MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 21-03-06, 21:15
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Red Chief

Hi Kevin,

If you are talking about the small photo I posted. It is "Red Chief" (as in the short story by O'Henry??). I'm sorry I don't have a better photo of it, I wish I did it is a great photo. On the cast turret is the marking C IV(roman numeral 4). This marking can be seen on several 1CACR Rams. What it stands for is up for speculation. It isn't a regimental marking. My guess is that it is some sort of identifier put on by the workshops?

Red Chief was Murray (Baldy) McCarten's kangaroo, B Squadron. I don't have a CT number for it.

Bill.
Old 21-03-06, 22:39
Senior Forum Member

Question

Hi Bill;

They are photos of B Sqn, 1 CACR, but depending on which Hengelo the site refers to, nearest that B Sqn got to either Hengelo was on 31 Mar 45 in support of 43rd (Wessex) Inf Div at Sinderen, or in other words:

Sinderen is approx. 15 miles from Hengelo, Gelderland and approx. 34 miles from Hengelo, Overijssel.

Cheers
Old 22-03-06, 01:12
Senior Forum Member

the other four photos of members of B Sqn, 1 CACR from http://beeldbank.nationaalarchief.nl/index.php the first two:
Attached Thumbnails
hengelo a.jpg  
Old 22-03-06, 01:13
Senior Forum Member

the other two photos of members of B Sqn, 1 CACR from http://beeldbank.nationaalarchief.nl/index.php
Attached Thumbnails
hengelo b.jpg  
Old 22-03-06, 10:12

Default hengelo?

Hello everybody,

I’m pretty sure it’s Hengelo overijssel because on the archive it says in the description:

Reportage uit Enschede en Hengelo van de strijd in die plaatsen front n.o.-Nederland

witch means: report from Enschede and Hengelo of the battle in those places front north-east Netherlands

Recently I bought a photo book on the liberation of Hengelo witch has a lot of pictures in it that are also represented on the beeldbank archive

The cities of Hengelo and Enschede are located besides each other and the location of Hengelo gelderland is much further away

Furthermore Hengelo is located at about 15 minutes drive from the border with Germany so the picture Hanno provided might be taken on the other side of the border a couple of days later perhaps
Old 22-03-06, 12:01

Default book hengelo bevrijd

Here is the book I mentioned earlier,

Bevrijding Hengelo 1945

isbn: 90 8569 003 x
publisher: Uitgeverij Elbertinck

It comes with it's own DVD containing film footage of the liberation and days thereafter and a interview with a liberater
Attached Images

Old 22-03-06, 12:03

Default ram kangaroo tarp

kangaroos parked in street in hengelo
Attached Images

Old 22-03-06, 12:04

Default close-up

close-up of a kangaroo
Attached Images

Old 22-03-06, 14:24
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Kangaroo photos - Hengelo

Hi Wim;

Thank you for posting the additional photos of the Kangaroos.

The Kangaroo (1 CACR) photos that you have posted from both the archives site and the book you mention regarding Hengelo-Enschede, are in fact from the period of 16 May 1945 and after.

On 16-17 May the Regiment moved into Enschede, where they were based until disbandment on 20 June 1945, with their tanks departing for turn into Ordnance on 11 June ("A" Sqn) and 15 June ("B" Sqn), followed by the remaining wheeled transport and personnel departing Enschede mid morning on 20 June 1945.

Cheers
Old 22-03-06, 15:44
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default WOW

Thanks very much Wim for posting the info about the book and the great new photos! That these photos are Enschede makes more sense and the photos of the tanks lined up on the street is similar to other photos I have or have seen of Enschede. I wonder if this location has changed much in 60+ years. It would a good subject for a "then and now". I also wonder if the school house where the Regt. was billeted is still standing? It has rather unique architecture. Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
1cacr_a_squadron.jpg  
Old 22-03-06, 15:47
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Another view

The previous photo was A Squadron, taken around the end of May 1945 in Enschede. This attached photo is of the NCO's of RHQ. same locale, different viewpoint. Late May or early June.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails
1cacr_rhq_ncos.jpg  
Old 22-03-06, 16:09
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: ram kangaroo tarp

Quote:
Originally posted by wim sikkelbein
kangaroos parked in street in hengelo
Hi Wim;

Reference this photo:

can you read the number on the rear of the tank that should begin with CT...... (should be within the red box) and also what is forward of the allied star on the tank side (within the red box).

Cheers
Old 22-03-06, 18:42
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Liberation of Hengelo and Enschede

Hi Wim;

A note concerning the liberation of Hengelo and Enschede. Enschede was liberated on 1 April 1945 by elements of the British 3rd Infantry Division and Guards Armoured Division, followed on 2 April 1945 by the liberation of Hengelo by elements of the British 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division and 8th Armoured Brigade.

During this period (1-2 April), No. 1 Troop and No. 2 Troop of "A" Sqn, 1 CACR were engaged with the 4th Wiltshires (129 Inf Bde/43 (Wessex) Inf Div) in the area of Lochem (31 Mar/1 Apr) and Borculo (2 Apr), to the south-west of Hengelo-Enschede. On the evening of 2 April, both Troops rejoined "A" Sqn who had been harboured (in various locations) west of Lochem-Borculo since 30 March, leaving this location and moving north on the morning of 3 April in support of 2nd Canadian Infantry Division (6 Cdn Inf Bde) operations towards the Schipbeek Canal.

Also, during the period 1-2 April, "B" Sqn, 1 CACR were harboured in the area of Westendorp (having arrived in location on 1 Apr), also to the south-west of Hengelo-Enschede, moving north from this location late on the afternoon of 2 Apr, passing to the west (Deldon) of Hengelo-Enschede, in support of 4th Canadian Armoured Division (10 Cdn Inf Bde) operations.

No sub-units of 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment were directly involved with the liberation of either Enschede (1 Apr) or Hengelo (2 Apr).

Cheers
Old 22-03-06, 20:15
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Squadron photo

Hi Bill;

Regarding the photo of "A" Sqn:

This was taken on Sunday, 20 May 1945 in Enschede, according to the "B" Sqn diary for May 1945, the diary entry reading:

'20 May 45.

A bright Sunday morning, ideal for the taking of Squadron Photographs, that Major Copley had arranged for the previous day. The photographer arrived somewhat late and unable to decide how the 200 members of the Squadron were to be posed, kept everyone standing about for over an hour. Not calculated to put the men in good humor, but nevertheless they all had a smile for the birdie when he finally came. The rest of the day was a rest period and the day passed without further note.'

I believe Art Bell has a copy of the photo that was taken of all of RHQ in the same area as that of the one you posted of NCO's of RHQ, it has a single scout car on either flank if I remember correctly.

Cheers
Old 22-03-06, 20:28
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Squadron photo

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
I believe Art Bell has a copy of the photo that was taken of all of RHQ in the same area as that of the one you posted of NCO's of RHQ, it has a single scout car on either flank if I remember correctly.
I have a copy of that, but my scanner went feet-up quite a while ago. To be precise, Art says it's TAC HQ, and both he and Mr. Miller Sr are pictured and identified. Bill, I think you have that one too, don't you?
Old 22-03-06, 21:29
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Squadron Photos

Mark & Geoff,

I now have all the Squadron photos; A, B & RHQ as well as the RHQ NCO photo and two Group photos of all the officers. I don't believe all the photos were taken the same day or by the same photographer as there is noticeable quality differences. B Squadron has the best and largest photo, a proper panoramic, all the men and officers being clearly identifiable. Also, it seems that the photographer Copley hired hung around and took small group and individual photos as I have seen many nice photos from B Squadron guys.

The "A" Squadron photo as posted is a lousy photo, the photographer is set too far back (probably because he did not have a proper panoramic camera, but a regular large format) the men are not clear, it was a very slow exposure as many men are blurred from movement. However, it does show quite spectacularly the building they stayed in!? I'd like to know if the building is still around? I have a small B Sqn shot that was taken with some young Dutch girls in front of the wall with the skinny horizontal windows seen at right in my posted photo.

Art Bell's RHQ photo is labeled June 11, 1945 but it had to be taken earlier as my Dad was SOS to the 14CAR on May 27th.

The officer photos I have were identified as Oldenburg, Germany. Which may be true or they may be more likely taken in Peheim around May 11th. They are taken out in a field and the surrounding landscape shows no buildings.

If anyone is interested I'll post more, but all the scans are at home. I only have a few misc. pictures to post here at work.

Bill
Old 22-03-06, 21:52
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Squadron photo

Hi Bill;

In regards to the "A" Sqn photo, I had meant to say "This may have been taken on Sunday, 20 May 1945 in Enschede, according to the "B" Sqn diary for May 1945, the diary entry reading:...".

Actually, there are no other references to Squadron photos recorded in the main 1 CACR War Diary or those of "A" or "B" Squadron through to disbandment.

You wrote: "If anyone is interested I'll post more", Yes Bill, please post.

Cheers
Old 23-03-06, 00:42
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Kangaroo "B" Vehicles

I have a few more photos hanging around the office computer.

One of my favourites is this photo of Sgt. Rowland Marshall with a captured Kubelwagen. This is RHQ, Peheim, Germany circa mid-May 1945.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails
da_010a kubelwagen.jpg  
Old 23-03-06, 00:51
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default B Vehicle markings

Attached photo detail of the front of two trucks (one an armoured truck), shows the "Bullshead" 79th Armd Div sign and 31 Tk. Diablo, the right Fender of the Armd Truck has an unusual "157" AoS. It is inside some sort of maple leaf shape?
Attached Thumbnails
da_hqmarking.jpg  
Old 23-03-06, 00:53
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default RHQ Jeep

Here is a RHQ jeep, unknown trooper. I like the improvised Hard top. Sorry no photos of the front showing the regt. markings.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
da_jeep.jpg  
Old 23-03-06, 01:37
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Kangaroos - Rethem

Bill;

Great photos of the "B" vehicles of 1 CACR you just posted. In regards to your earlier post:

BU 3648
Ram Kangaroo personnel carriers of 4th Armoured Brigade in Rethem, 16 April 1945.

I have references (from several sources) that say that this photo was taken on 14 April and is of infantry of the 6th Royal Welch Fusiliers (158th Inf Bde/53rd (Welsh) Inf Div) aboard Kangaroos of 49 APCR, accompanied by Sherman tanks (two of which are in front of the third Kangaroo in the attached photo below) of the Royal Scots Greys (4th Armd Bde) drawn up in the centre of Rethem awaiting the order to cross the Aller.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
rethem.jpg  
Old 23-03-06, 01:56
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default 49 APCR

Hi Mark,

I'll have some more info on the 49APCR in the coming weeks as I have their War Diaries coming over in a few weeks.

Seeing this shot with the Ram with the hull side doors makes me wonder if the British crews ever used those doors for any purpose? Do you suppose the doors were still functional on the kangaroos or would the workshops have welded them shut?

A lot of great new photos have surfaced lately at the various archives!

Bill.
Old 23-03-06, 09:44

Default another photo

hello everybody,

Thanks for the info.
Mark, I wasn't able to make out the ct-number or the other text on the tank.
Bill I'll have to make a trip to Enschede to find that school if it's stil there.
I do have a question to ask:
Would the tank on this photo be a sherman kangaroo?

regards Wim
Attached Images

Old 23-03-06, 16:26
canadiansoldiers.com

Default Re: Re: Kangaroos film clip

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Patton, IIRC. I don't have a copy so can't verify. If Mike Dorosh is here... Mike, what was the film you grabbed that capture from? Jeez, my brain is rotting...
It was PATTON.
Old 23-03-06, 16:46
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default ARV I think

Hi Wim,

Your posted picture is very small but I don't think it is a Sherman Kangaroo. To my knowledge no Shermans were converted to an armoured "Carrier" role in the NWE theatre.

This tank (and I had a hard time making it out as a Sherman!) has a lot of stuff on it, it is most likely an armoured recovery vehicle? But then, almost anybody else on this forum is better with military vehicle identification than I am .

Bill.
Old 23-03-06, 17:09
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: another photo

Quote:
Originally posted by wim sikkelbein
Would the tank on this photo be a sherman kangaroo?
Hi Wim;

I agree with Bill, the second vehicle looks to be a Sherman ARV (armoured recovery vehicle).

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Miller
To my knowledge no Shermans were converted to an armoured "Carrier" role in the NWE theatre.
Hi Bill;

Your right, no Shermans were converted to armoured personnel carriers in NWE, only in the Italian theatre.

Cheers
Old 23-03-06, 17:24
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Kangaroo "B" Vehicles

My, my, I've been away for a few days and looks what has happened here - excellent stuff, gentlemen!

Quote:
I have a few more photos hanging around the office computer.
See CMP 15-cwt identification for another one of Bill's photos, showing an Ford F15A 15-cwt truck at Peheim, Germany.

More later!
Hanno
Old 23-03-06, 22:22

Default B Veh Markings

Bill -

Ref the '157' on a maple leaf...easy - 1st APC Regt/79 Armd Div. Maple leaf would have been Green/Blue. 49 APC Regt was '158'. Prob the regt was working alongside 31 Bde, hence co-loc of HQ soft skins ?

Roddy
Old 24-03-06, 01:14
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Neat photo

Quote:
The caption from the IWM is as follows:
The Advance on Hertogenbosh (sic) B11201
Troops (51st Highland Division was) committed to battle in this (the 12 Corps) atttack on Holland. The advance was in the general direction of Hertogenbosh. These pictures (11201-204) show infantry (of the 2nd Seaforth highlanders Bn.,) (152 Bde.) moving up and advancing in Kangaroos, old Ram tanks without a gun turret. Infantry travel to their objective on these kangaroos driven by Canadians on this occasion., the advance on Schijndel (sic).

Taken by Sgt. Norris. 24.10.44. RELEASED
Here's a better scan of B11204 - click on the picture for a large size version.
Old 24-03-06, 17:20
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: 49 APCR

Quote:
Seeing this shot with the Ram with the hull side doors makes me wonder if the British crews ever used those doors for any purpose? Do you suppose the doors were still functional on the kangaroos or would the workshops have welded them shut?
Hi Bill;

I have found nothing to suggest that these doors would have been welded shut. I would believe that they would have been left functional.

Cheers