MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 16-09-16, 00:35

Thanks Chris. Were would the other battery tray go ? Unless i parked four batteries sideways on the same tray ?
94 LSVW
Old 16-09-16, 01:27

Two square steel trays fit on the 2 x 4 's in that corner, Robert. Each tray holds two batteries. The front and rear edges of the tray have a bracket in the middle that takes a steel rod that is part of the hold down assembly for the batteries so they don't go crashing about when the vehicle is in motion. An upper hold down fits over the steel rods and is secured in place. There are stampings on the bottom of the tray to allow spilled acid to flow away from the bottom of the battery boxes. The tray I have seen were painted with a thin black tar like substance to reduce corrosion.

A fifth battery, called a Grant Battery, fits on the floor, dead centre on the front wall. below the Wireless Table.

David
Old 16-09-16, 01:41
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Thanks Chris. Were would the other battery tray go ? Unless i parked four batteries sideways on the same tray ?
Park sideways on the same tray. There were two squares on the bottom made of 1x1x1/8" angle or maybe folded 18 gauge (?) (one square holding 2 batteries) and vertical rods topped with 1/2" threaded rod, wing nuts and a bar to clamp the battery boxes down. 1 pair to operate the wireless while the other pair charges then reverse, repeat.
Old 16-09-16, 03:56

Thanks a lot Bruce and David . That information is really , really helpfull. 4 batteries sideways , their backs to the sidewall in the square trays . Holdown rods both sides like the battery box of the truck . Then a Grant battery between the legs of the wireless operator and under the table. David, What the heck does a Grant battery looks like ? Cheers . Robert
94 LSVW
Old 16-09-16, 18:32

You won't need to worry about tracking down a pair of Grant Batteries, Robert. They were only installed under the Wireless Table if that particular 2K1 Body was equipped with the Chorehorse/Onan Charger combination. They were part of the Onan System and quite separate from the 4 Wireless Batteries in the Chorehorse System. The wiring for the Grant Batteries was, however, installed in all 2K1 Bodies from the factory.

David
Old 17-09-16, 01:05

Default battery boxes

Thanks David, i think i got it now.

Four (4) batteries , two deep .

In the pictures, i only have two boxes for now but it gives you an idea,

Now i need to work on hold down brackets.

No Grant battery in my installation then.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery boxes two deep.JPG   Battery boxes two deep 2.JPG  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 17-09-16 at 01:12.
Old 17-09-16, 02:50
GM Fox I

Quote:
Thanks David, i think i got it now.

Four (4) batteries , two deep .

In the pictures, i only have two boxes for now but it gives you an idea,

Now i need to work on hold down brackets.

No Grant battery in my installation then.
Take the waterproof cover off the wireless...unless you have a leaky roof.

Also, you need some buss bars above the batteries linking them to the chorehorse and to the No.5 charging panel.
Old 17-09-16, 05:05

Hey Bruce,

You are right , i will remove the waterproof cover.

It will go on the No 19 set on my GPW.

The roof is absolutely leakprook thanks to a lot of silicone in the right places , a material that was not available in 1944.

I will start working on the charging buss bars soon, they were next on my list.

Have you seen the size of this antennae ground spike !

My god, where did they fit all of that signals equipment in that small box ?
Attached Thumbnails
antennae ground spike.JPG  
94 LSVW
Old 17-09-16, 09:55
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:

Have you seen the size of this antennae ground spike !

My god, where did they fit all of that signals equipment in that small box ?
The ground spike (there should be two of them) go in the "Bags, Aerial Gear", along with all the guys, pegs, both hammers, et cetera. I think they were designed to be unbreakable by squaddies, but the illustrations in the Working Instructions for the mast seem to hedge their bets on this.

I think the general rule for radio trucks is: "There is space, therefore we must FILL it". Operation on the move must have been very cramped, but once parked up and with the penthouse erected things would be a bit more comfortable.

There are two (or possibly three) versions of the insulator for the ground spike; the one you have (which has a vulcanite insulator portion), a later one with a ceramic insulator (because vulcanite was found to be a bit 'lossy' and unsuitable for the WS52 on high power), and I have a very fragile appearing ceramic one (similar to the later 27-ft mast insulators) that is definitely not squaddie resistant. The last is definitely related to the 34-ft telescopic mast because all the casting numbers match up - though it's much earlier that the usual insulators, judging by the part number on it - failed to survive normal usage and replaced by the vulcanite one?

Chris.
Old 18-09-16, 03:25

Default Uncovered No 19 set and publications.

Friends ,

Today i uncovered the No 19 set at the suggestion of Bruce Parker. This one is for you Bruce.

We see in front of the set , pertinent Canadian and British wartime publications covering the operation of the No 19 set, voice and CW procedure , field phones and the operation of the Chorehorse charger .

On top of the No19 set , the crystal calibrator

To the right , a battery box i just finished this morning. Doesn't it just look gorgeous ?

To the left the A set lead from the variometer to the chimney and hence to the antennae base

Attached Thumbnails
Uncovered No 19 set and pertinent publications..JPG  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 17-01-17 at 03:59.
Old 18-09-16, 10:40
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:

...To the left the A set lead from the variometer to the chimney and hence to the antennae base .
Er, nitpick: The co-ax lead should go from the 'A' set output on the set to the side of the variometer. The feeder to the aerial base is a plain piece of rubber insulated wire. (Leads, Aerial, No.9, perhaps - docs not to hand.) This has a Ross Courtney ring terminal on te aerial base end (to fit the Plates, Connector), and a plated brass plug/pin (as used on the wire aerials) that fits the rigid aerial base on the variometer mounting plate. The wire is also the same as the insulated type used for the wire aerial feeder: Cable, Electric, P11.

The general idea being that if you need to demount the set from the vehicle, you simply unplug the aerial feeder (and the 'B' set co-ax), the set power cable, unlock the table clamps and remove the set on its carrier. You then have a spare power cable (probably the one with Niphan plugs for a pair of 85 AH accumulators), another 'B' set co-ax and the clip-on aerial base (9A),
aerial rods/wire aerial as required, counterpoise, and you're ready to go.

(Fit the waterproof cover if wet!)

Chris.
Old 19-09-16, 13:16

Chris, you are eagle eyed my friend. Everything in it's proper place now. Today a new task : Looking for steel screening for the two generator compartment openings...
94 LSVW
Old 20-09-16, 01:53

Default A busy day

Friends,

It has been a busy day, a lot of time spent shopping for parts, running from one supplier to the other.

Before doing anything usefull i looked closely at the doghouse that i had installed the other day. That doghouse was a find in a deceased friend's collection . I was fortunate enough to have had access .

I found the original holes and paint ( or absence of ) for the weight data plate on right hand side near my left knee when sitting. So i unsrcrewed the data plate from the former non- original doghouse and put it in it's final resting place back where it was supposed to be. I am very happy and lucky that Rich was very carefull retrieving all the original data plates for this truck . It is a real treat.

In picture 1 we see the doghouse, hard to see where the data plate is, but if you look at the 4 o' clock spoke on the steering wheel ,you barely see a corner.

Then i started tinkering with the air filter element and the spark plugs. Put in a new element and new OEM plugs.

I then went for lunch and did a test drive and experienced a noticeable improvement in performance. Life is good.

After lunch i did the steel screening for the generator compartment.

Third shot the steel screening from afar over the Carrier .

Fourth shot a close up of the screening. I chose a light steel screen compared to what i have seen in the NWM in Ottawa and elsewhere . My idea is it was to prevent stuff from falling overboard when the doors were open not to prevent forced entry by well equiped burglars !

Did the same behind both gen doors . Now i have to reach into the gen compartment from inside the box to operate the Chorehorses. A pain if you want my opinion.

This is my report for today.

No idea yet what i am going to do tomorrow. There is so much left to do ! Restoring this truck is quite an undertaking !

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
doghouse.JPG   data plate.JPG   steel screening 1.JPG   screening 2.JPG  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 21-09-16 at 01:13.
Old 20-09-16, 02:34

[QUOTE=Robert Bergeron;229052]
In the second shot a close up of said data plate : Weight 6960 -Not to exceed 8800 lbs. With all that %?&?%$?&! wireless equipment how did they not exceed this ?
QUOTE]

I think you need to consider the possibility that the tag was not original to a wireless truck as the Vehicle Data Book reprinted by Bill Gregg lists the wireless truck as having loaded axle weights
front 4230
rear 6440
for a total of 10670 pounds (curb weight is given as 9780 pounds)
Old 20-09-16, 02:40

Grant my friend :

That is why they went for aluminium in 1944 : Horendous weight of the steel box...!

Aluminium is the thing .

Cheers my friend.
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 21-09-16 at 01:11.
Old 20-09-16, 02:44

Default Wire 5 C-15A Data Plates

As well, remember that we didn't want to imply to the regulatory authorities that the gross vehicle weight of the vehicle exceeded 4500kg? Hee-hee for the aluminum box!
1941 CMP C12 C-15A (Parts)
1942 CMP C13 F-60S Dumper (Restoring)
2 x 1941 CMP C12 F-GT (Storage)
194? CMP C13 C-60X (For Sale)
Old 20-09-16, 03:33

Robert.

The screen guards for the Gen Box are a flat diamond pattern. The flat version of the Chev radiator grill. It is in a one inch wide frame, pressed flat over the edges of the screen with 45 degree mitre welded in each corner. It is held in place by four steel pins welded to the frame: two top, two bottom. If you look closely in the upper and lower slots where the screens sit, you will see the holes for the pins. The bottom pins are shorter than the upper pins. You slide the screen in at the top first and then swing the bottom into place and lower it.

Somebody with a surviving example can probably post photos of the details and exact measurements for you.

David
Old 20-09-16, 20:29

Default Data plate.......

Picture reads chassis weight at 4690 pounds and max at 8600 pounds which is the published data for a standard C15a General Service truck with a steel box such as the 2C1.

I would bet donuts to dollars that it is not original to a radio truck with a 2K1 box. We have to remember that engine covers do get changed during the life of a CMP.

I totally agree with Rich that it is easier to fly below the radar when it comes to licensing weight.

Cheers
Canada
Old 21-09-16, 01:31

David,

Picture one is for you but unless you point me to a reputable source for me to get that kind of screen , no joy.

I played under the truck today and i am sore all over.

Found the original holes under the steel floor for the battery box brackets .

Installed the battery hold down brackets using the holes i drilled through the plywood floor using the original holes in the steel floor. Picture two and three. It is a tight fit for the battery boxes between the rods.

Found the original holes for the radio operator' s seat bracket . Drillled the plywood floor again from underneath and put in four 3/8 bolts to secure the seat bracket . Picture 4. We see them here but they are not tightened. Still trying to figure out how the seat base is attached to the bracket.

Worked on making a mock up of the Jerrycan holders that go under the rear bottom of the box to come up with some credible measurements to fabricate and weld later a proper unit. Picture 5 .

Bob , we will not discuss gross weight anymore please. It is a nightmare for HMV collectors here. Many thanks my good friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Diamond grill.JPG   battery holder 1.JPG   battery holder 2.JPG   radio operator seat bolted down.JPG   Jerrycan holder pattern.JPG  

94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 17-01-17 at 04:00.
Old 21-09-16, 01:47

More on the Jerrycan holder.

The steel rods are lined up with the original holes in the box support beams.

Is it not odd that the holder would be that wide just for one Jerrycan on both sides of the box ?

Attached Thumbnails
Jerrycan holder 2.JPG  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 17-01-17 at 04:01.
Old 21-09-16, 13:12

Quote:
Is it not odd that the holder would be that wide just for one Jerrycan on both sides of the box ?
Hi Robert. I agree...it does look odd, but that being said I haven't checked any period pictures, so I don't know what the original setup would look like.

But, I think you shouldn't just look at straight rods, but more towards L-shaped strip. This would allow to either make the holder narrower for one jerrycan....or bigger if you turn them around and make a holder for two jerrycans.

Your current mockup looks like it could be a good fit for 2 POW cans stacked on top of eachother, but with a 1944 truck I think a holder for a jerrycan is more likely to be original spec.

By the way....are you sure the holes closest to the wheel are for the can holder? I think they could also be the holes for the strips holding the mud flaps(?)

Alex

p.s. Great to see a Wire5 coming back to life!
Old 21-09-16, 13:52

Alex.

As you suggested, flat strap iron bent to accommodate two cans either side. Mud flap assembly mounts at front end of jerry can rack. Might even be one integral assembly.

David
Old 21-09-16, 17:53

David my friend. Are you sure they have to fit 2 X 20 litre Jerrycans each side . That's a lot of fuel = 80 L ! Cheers. Robert
94 LSVW
Old 21-09-16, 18:23

Oh how I hate computer programs that try to anticipate what you are typing, and screw things up so much you lose your train of thought!

Two POW racks went under the rear corners of the 2K1, Robert. The left rear holds two cans: the rear most is the large Jerry Can, ahead of which and snugged up to the top is a 2 Gallon Water 'flimsy'. See Bill Gregg's "Vehicle Profiles No. 6 for a picture. This image also shows how the canvas mud flaps hang down from the racks.

On the right rear, a single Jerry Can was fitted in a rack. The racks are strap iron design and just wide enough to grip a full Jerry Can. Only one can will fit at the right rear without causing interference with the Gen Compartment exhaust muffler assembly.

David
Old 22-09-16, 04:27

Thank you for your good words Alex. I hope to drive the truck in the streets of Holland some day.I would use it to commemorate Canadian soldiers that fell in the Liberation of Holland during the day and as my camper at night

David you are a wealth of knowledge and i am very happy to have you as a reference. On that note , I am very happy to report have found a local source for diamond shaped steel grill .

Today drove into town with the truck ( 15 KM ) to a local welder's shop and ordered some steel plate and angle to fabricate the 2 side tool boxes and the 2 Jerrycan holders. Also, as David says ,
looking from the rear, on the left side there is also a Flimsy can tray in front of the Jerrycan holder.

Just to be sure here is a picture of some of my Canadian / British Jerrycans . Wich one are you refering to as a Flimsy please David ?

On my way back , took a detour and waved back at some ladies strolling on the sidewalk that looked at me on the right side of the truck in amazement.

Thanks for following this tread . Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails
Jerrycans.JPG  
94 LSVW

Last edited by Robert Bergeron; 17-01-17 at 04:02.
Old 22-09-16, 08:13
Dave Good

Here is a shot of Regs wireless.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0033.jpg  
Old 22-09-16, 10:35

That shot is absolutely wonderfull there Dave. Thanks very much. When you get a chance, could you please do the same with the tool boxes on both sides and inside /out ? No rush . Fantastic.
94 LSVW
Old 22-09-16, 13:58

David.

Do you know if Reg's Wireless Truck is the one originally restored by Don Perry?

David
Old 22-09-16, 19:51

Robert.

My reference for 'Flimsy' is the standard GSW made 2-Gallon POW can.

When sizing your rack for the Jerry Can, remember a full Jerry Can should just slide in and an empty one be ever so loose. The fit should not be sloppy enough for the can to bang back and forth in the rack.

Also, don't forget you will need the two adapter plates for mounting the two steel tool bins at the front bottom sides of the Wireless Box.

David
Old 23-09-16, 04:02

Thank you David , well noted. Again , you are a wealth of knowledge. The adapters for the tool boxes are on the box fortunately . So it will be a bolt on proposition . Any chance you would know were i could find the proberbial wireless table ? I have a spare of anything WS 19 related i could trade . . really anything you could possibly imagine.
94 LSVW