MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-11-12, 04:09

Default disposal of WW1 renault tanks

I had a call the other night from a friend trying to track down the details of a ww1 tank used as alog skidder near Galt Ont in the 1940s. It seems it belonged to (perhaps indirectly) to prominent Liberal politician Norm Hipel who was MPP for the area for almost 20 years. Hipel was also the politician who established the Farm Services Force to help bring in crops during WW2, and also set up the Aircraft Mechanics Training School in Galt in 1939 to train radio operators and aircraft mechanics.
My question - does anyone know more about the use of WW1 tanks as log skidders, how and when they left Camp Borden? I recall that Bill Gregg had an old log skidder tank which he offered for sale, and which was purchased by another member of this forum as I recall.At the time he told me many had been transformed to the log skidder role at a place in Guelph. Later when I rented a barn at the edge of Guelph for storing my treasures, an old guy across the road told me that several hulks had been buried at a Guelph foundry. They had been stripped of all usuable/ recycleable material and the remains buried. the story eas that something about the quality of the armour plate made it ubdesriable for recycling. Anybody got any details they can add to this story???I still have 3 photos of Bill's tank if I knew how to post them!