MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 24-10-12, 08:14

Default M38 paint

Hi All, I’m beginning a 1952 m38 restoration and I am down to the frame and in need of the correct paint color that I can paint with a brush and spray on. I’m in the Vancouver BC area so a local supplier would work best. I have the deflector plate from under the gen. regulator pack that has the original paint color on it so I could have it scanned but would prefer if someone already has a supplier for what I need.
Thanks, Darren
Old 24-10-12, 14:40

Default M Series Paint

Hello Darren

Brian Asbury in Ontario has the proper CDN paint in semi gloss (Advertized in an earlier thread).

He also had spray cans that match. He also carries the standard MV paint from US Suppliers.

You can also go to Home Hardware and have a sample scanned and have it made in their exterior oil based paint. (trem clad type) It will be gloss unless you add some flattener. It will cost you under $40.00 a gallon. (It will flatten a little over time).

If you go to a professional paint supplier, if you ask for automotive paint you will get the new water based product, which is also much more expensive.

They can also make it for you in the industrial based paint, which is still oil based.Still on the expensive side, over $90.00 gallon.

Here are some paints that i have the codes for from MPS/Metro paint.
Canadian Centari SS

H1476 A -National Fleet Colour, khaki fleet green (Pre 1991 This is a browner green)

758s drier additive 42.0
700a white (hh) 57.0
741a yellow green 81.0
705a black (hs) 148.0
750a yellow oxide 887.5

1264 A - National Fleet Colour, Army Khaki (Darker green)
758s drier additives 44.0
742a blue green 52.0
701a white 115.0
732a fer.yellow 270.9
705a black (hs) 713.6
756a fast dry binder 905.5

From my experience if you buy a ready made paint you can get spay cans to match and you can touch it up as needed. If you have it specially mixed it will cost more, plus even more if you wish a spray can.

I am rebuilding my 67 M38A1 and will be painting the frame and underside the Home Hardware paint. (I have it matched to a sample of the darker green CDN paint). The body is already painted a lighter green, which will be painted over once assembled with the proper CDN darker green from Brian.

There are also MV paint supplier in the USA, but shipping to Canada is an issue.

I hope that this helps.

Don't forget to submit a photo of your M38 with CFR and Serial number for Clives ramtank.ca registery page.

Thanks

Eric
Old 25-10-12, 04:25

Thanks Eric,
that helps, will have to think about the options I have. Im at the frame painting stage so I may get an oil based paint to do that for now. just to cover the exposed steel.