MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 18-09-13, 08:42
Dave Good

Default Loyal Edmonton Regiment Carrier

Just thought I would post some pictures of the Loyal Edmonton regiments Carrier I did up for them for their Monument that will be put out front of the Jefferson's Armory in Edmonton by the NAIT campus. this carrier has been lingering for a few years as another party was trying to make it a running piece but too much time has passed so it was decided to make it strictly a monument. Its a 1944 MK11 with registration CT267219.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3452.jpg   IMG_3454.jpg   IMG_3455.jpg   IMG_3450.jpg  
Old 18-09-13, 08:46
Dave Good

Oh and this picture is for Rob as I know he would appreciate this as I had to move it in the yard and used the trusty iltis.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3459.jpg  
Old 19-09-13, 01:10

Default tracks

Dave, good job. All sealed up with no souvenir bits readily available for the hunters to remove.
Could you please tell me more about the track? How many links are there between the single ice bar and the double ice bar links? Can you post macro images of the bars on the links? Something that would show how they were modified or perhaps produced?
Old 19-09-13, 04:25
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave View Post
Oh and this picture is for Rob as I know he would appreciate this as I had to move it in the yard and used the trusty iltis.
A bren carrier pushing an Iltis around....seen it before. But then again, what vehicle hasn't had the opportunity to push an Iltis around?
Old 19-09-13, 05:08
Anthony Sewards

"This carrier has been lingering for a few years as another party was trying to make it a running piece but too much time has passed so it was decided to make it strictly a monument"

Yes, this carrier sat in the backyard only worked on a little at a time, due to the unit was very busy providing a TANK sqn for continuous operations overseas. They did a lot of work from what time they had to spare to work on it. New fenders, extra armour welded back on after the original owner cut it all off.

Looks nice all done up, well done.
Old 19-09-13, 05:49
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
A bren carrier pushing an Iltis around....seen it before. But then again, what vehicle hasn't had the opportunity to push an Iltis around?
I figured you would be able to put a different spin on it
Old 19-09-13, 05:56
Dave Good

Quote:
Yes, this carrier sat in the backyard only worked on a little at a time, due to the unit was very busy providing a TANK sqn for continuous operations overseas. They did a lot of work from what time they had to spare to work on it. New fenders, extra armour welded back on after the original owner cut it all off.

Looks nice all done up, well done.

I wasn't trying to take away from what you guys initially did on it just giving a little back ground on it as in the end it was the Loyal Edmonton regiments decision to make it into a monument and asked if I could do it

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 19-09-13 at 07:34. Reason: Formatting quote
Old 19-09-13, 06:00
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. View Post
Dave, good job. All sealed up with no souvenir bits readily available for the hunters to remove.
Could you please tell me more about the track? How many links are there between the single ice bar and the double ice bar links? Can you post macro images of the bars on the links? Something that would show how they were modified or perhaps produced?

The lugs were probably put on for a logging camp or ice conditions maybe ?? They are welded on but I am sure they are not factory, Were you thinking of installing some on your carrier ??
Old 19-09-13, 14:48

Default tracks

Dave, you wrote, in part: "The lugs were probably put on for a logging camp or ice conditions maybe ??" I suppose you are correct in the assumption the links were installed by a logging camp user.

However: I have seen other similar examples of track with ice cleats. On one example, the spacing has a standard link between a double and single ice cleat link. As you can see from the attached image, the single cleat is in the centre of the track, the double cleats to each side.

There is mention of three different production track. We all know the standard flat link, as well as the more common "spudded" link. I am curious to know what the third link looks like, identified as "non-skid ice grips", cast as part of the link. I hoped you could help with detailed images of the links and information on the spacing on the Loyal Eddies example. I was looking for an opportunity two compare similar known examples to see how consistent the production was.

Reference: Carriers:- Service Instruction Book, Jan, 1943 with Amendments, Feb 1944, Chapter IIA, Part 5, Tracks and Tensioners, page 24.
Attached Thumbnails
spudded track T50198.jpg   track with ice cleats.jpg   ice cleat track 11th link page 24.jpg  

Last edited by Michael R.; 19-09-13 at 16:00.
Old 19-09-13, 18:14
Frankencarrier owner

Looks good. The Royal Westminster Regiment carrier monument will be welded up and painted next month as well, I'll post some pics then.
Old 23-09-13, 08:37
Dave Good

Here are a couple pictures of the lugs that have welded onto the tracks at every 4th link and alternate from 1-2 links.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3465.jpg   IMG_3466.jpg  
Old 23-09-13, 14:09

Default thanks

Thank-you Dave.
Would you know if there any history on the track/carrier?
Old 25-09-13, 05:33
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. View Post
Thank-you Dave.
Would you know if there any history on the track/carrier?
Sorry I do not know
Old 25-09-13, 13:07

Default K.

Thanks!
M.
Old 22-10-13, 07:28
Dave Good

Well its finally at its resting spot, Delivered it to the armories on Saturday
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5433_1.jpg   IMG_5447_1.jpg   IMG_5455_1.jpg   IMG_5464 2.jpg  
Old 22-10-13, 19:00

Default Loyal Edmonton Regiment carrier

I have a set of tracks with these lugs on the pads .They were put on for winter use .In the oil patch they called them corks .I welded corks on D7 cats different times .I altered them so the snow wouldn't plug up on the pads .We would take them off for summer as they were rough to drive and hard on the tracks .
M2A1Halftrack ,CMP #11 F15A1 #13 F15A1
RAF Fordson Tractor, 42 WLC HD
No.2MK11 CT267514 center CB24713 bottom hull25701 ,No.2 MK2 parts
MK1 10128 ,(2) MK1 ,Parts Hull9305 .Hull 10407
Hull plate # 7250 all have walk plate on back steps
1917 Patent modle amphibious army tank
Old 26-10-13, 16:37

Dave my carrier has the exact same lugs on them and I thought the logger who originally owned it welded them on but they are the exact pattern as on yours. Do you think this was a military fix for ice or done after by loggers?
Old 27-10-13, 06:45
Dave Good

I really don't know as this is the first carrier that I have seen them on, Sorry.