MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 05-10-04, 16:09
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Medals Wanted

Ladies & Gents,

I've run into a bit of a roadblock here. Attempting to take the normal route towards securing Karmen a replacement set of medals earned by her Uncle Eddie (see the thread in Mil History), I ran into a brick wall. Apparently, Karmen is not a 'close enough' relative to fulfill the criteria for the reissuance of medals, even though there are none closer. So it's now up to you and me to find them on the open market.

I will pay a reasonable price, especially if the ones we find are in good shape with good ribbons. Just let me know, email or PM is fine, thanks. The medals we require are the following:

1939-45 Star
France and Germany Star
Defence Medal
Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, with Clasp
War Medal (1939-45)

Once we have acquired them, we'll then see just how good Frank Misztal's cleaning and mounting service really is...

Thanks a lot. keep me posted.

Geoff
Old 05-10-04, 17:42
Richard Notton

Default Re: Medals Wanted

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball

1939-45 Star
France and Germany Star
Defence Medal
Not my field at all, but these are very common at the shows here I think, the next Militaria do is Malvern at the back end of Nov and the Shirrell Heath LRDG usually go mob-handed. I'll happily pick them up.

Regrettably I had some excellent ones and more, from the late Maj.H.M. but I donated them all to the now defunct REME Museum at Arborfield. As it happens now, it would have been far more meaningful to have donated these to this worthy cause.

Quote:
War Medal (1939-45)
Possibly more common your end, but I'll look/ask if you wish.

R.
Old 05-10-04, 18:01

Thank you, sir... indeed, a worthy cause as you note.

G.
Old 05-10-04, 20:12
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Ladies & Gents,

I've run into a bit of a roadblock here. Attempting to take the normal route towards securing Karmen a replacement set of medals earned by her Uncle Eddie (see the thread in Mil History), I ran into a brick wall. Apparently, Karmen is not a 'close enough' relative to fulfill the criteria for the reissuance of medals, even though there are none closer. So it's now up to you and me to find them on the open market.

I will pay a reasonable price, especially if the ones we find are in good shape with good ribbons. Just let me know, email or PM is fine, thanks. The medals we require are the following:

1939-45 Star
France and Germany Star
Defence Medal
War Medal (1939-45)

Once we have acquired them, we'll then see just how good Frank Misztal's cleaning and mounting service really is...

Geoff
Wow, Geoff ..... WHAT can I say ... you go way out of your way for me and my Uncle's history ... it's sad the VA can't issue these things under the circumstances that I seem to be the only blood link to Uncle Ed, that has shown interest and efforts to learn more and preserve his memory and history. Me, and all of you military types bend over backwards to keep the light of knowledge and memory alive ... and when I've got all of my gathered knowledge and stuff together, I'll put it all together, and pass copies to blood links especially ... and certain wonderful people, like YOU GEOFF and MARK specially, for your contributions and endless interest, help, and support ...

It would be quite wonderful to have the medals, photo ............ etc ..... properly gathered into a wonderful protectively framed display ...

Lest We Forget.

Karmen
Old 05-10-04, 20:14

It shall be, Karmen. This is a matter of honour.
Old 05-10-04, 20:29
Vets Dottir

Default So be it.

Quote:
Well then, since this is about my Uncle and what his life and service mean to YOU and Canada (and all you others in here) etc, and is much bigger than "personally just me" ... I gracefully accept and thank you Geoff.

With loving appreciation and thanks,
(and this goes for all of you who have shown interest and effort regards Rifleman Edward Smith, RWR, Sept. 17, 1922 - June 8, 1944)

Karmen.
Old 05-10-04, 20:43
Vets Dottir

Default FYI

Quote:
You'll have to forgive me Geoff, I need to share this quote, with everyone, from the private message you sent me because it basically says it all, in a nutshell, about WHY and HOW ALL soldiers are realistically VALUE ..... and justifiably deserve our gratitude and respectful behavior towards them. Our sacrificial lambs that we may exist, and exist as we desire.

Quote:
They, more than anyone else in history, have preserved and advanced our society.
They have been, and are, that last bastion between
"us" and chaos, in the literal sense.
Don't bite the hands that feed you and keep you well and alive ...
Old 05-10-04, 23:00
RIP

Default Geoff & Carmen

I have miniature medals,framed,encased under glass in a picture frame.They are all small copies of the originals that my brother ,the Air Force Captain,is now retaining in his posession.
Don't know if this will help or lead to originals,but I am sending the coordinates of the contact in Ottawa who made the miniatures.

William G. Cullum CD
Medal Mounting & Framing
Collectors of Militaria,
Ottawa-K1T 1R2
Tel:613-521-2959

Hope this helps Carmen baby
Old 06-10-04, 01:29
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Ladies & Gents,

1939-45 Star
France and Germany Star
Defence Medal
War Medal (1939-45)

Geoff
Geoff/Yappy:

I have the "standard six pack" of WWII medals, the difference being that this rack has the Italy Star.

They were of my step-father, with whom I never got along, and they have no personal relevance to me.

They are replacements, since the usual Regimental Number and Name are not embossed on the outer rim.

Medals are tarnished, but authentic with King's crown, ribbons are somewhat faded. I may have some ribbons around here, but Frank Misztal can take care of the rest of the restoration.

They're yours for the asking.

Any shipping, cleanup etc will, of course, be your collective responsibility.

Yes/No?
Old 06-10-04, 01:48

Humbly... I - we - thank you, Jon.

Ironically, I have all but the CVSM w/clasp on their way from Indiana, free of charge as well. A very good friend who volunteered and absolutely refused payment.

You guys are great.

The extras will be held in abeyance until someone needs them.

Frank, prepare your evil arts... you have a job to do....
Old 06-10-04, 02:18
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Geoff & Carmen

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Hope this helps Carmen baby
Great big hug and a wet kiss on the cheek for you Garry for your quick response to help accomplish this ... thank you Garry babes
Old 06-10-04, 02:25
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Medals Wanted

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Geoff/Yappy:

I have the "standard six pack" of WWII medals, the difference being that this rack has the Italy Star.

They're yours for the asking.

Any shipping, cleanup etc will, of course, be your collective responsibility.

Yes/No?
Wow ... thank you JON ... I see Geoff (who is the one that started this fire regards I should have these medals) has been on this and getting responses.

You people, all of you, yet again, blow my mind. I sure wish my Uncle Ed could meet you all Am sure he'd have the CMP bug and be drooling over these machines!

Geoff ... well ... you seem to get results for what you set your mind to, and set it to good things. <hug>

Pleased and happy Karmen.
Old 06-10-04, 02:32

Default RWR Cap Badge

Now that the issue regarding medals has been solved, I shall require a King's Crown RWR cap badge. Please advise via email or PM. I shall pay the going rate.

Thank you,

G.
Old 07-10-04, 01:08
Old Sigs Type

Quote:

You can bet your boots that the medal mounting will be the best there is. Here is a sample:
Attached Images

Old 07-10-04, 01:16
Old Sigs Type

Although I can use the extra cash, as I must replace my current mode of transportation ASAP, I will mount the medals gratis. I will also provide the required ribbons.

PS: I will check on the RWR cap badge with the Military Communications Museum in Kingston. I know that they have a collection of badges and brass buttons in their back room.
Old 07-10-04, 02:16

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Misztal
Although I can use the extra cash, as I must replace my current mode of transportation ASAP, I will mount the medals gratis. I will also provide the required ribbons.

PS: I will check on the RWR cap badge with the Military Communications Museum in Kingston. I know that they have a collection of badges and brass buttons in their back room.
Thanks for your offer, Frank, but I believe in paying for services rendered. You will charge me your going rate, OK?

Ref the badge, I have a bid in on Epay for one, we'll see how it comes out. If I get it, I'll want you to clean that up as well, which you CAN do gratis, with thanks. I have a small plaque on the way, which we will frame together with the badge and ribbons. It will be a suitable monument.

And Karmen, STFU, over. This is a done-deal, OK? This is MLU honouring your Uncle Eddie in the manner which was begun in Normandy this year. Period. We take care of our own.

Cheers, mates. The beer is on me next time.

G.
Old 07-10-04, 02:28
Old Sigs Type

Thanks for your offer, Frank, but I believe in paying for services rendered. You will charge me your going rate, OK?

And ... what if I say no?

Ref the badge, I have a bid in on Epay for one, we'll see how it comes out. If I get it, I'll want you to clean that up as well, which you CAN do gratis, with thanks. I have a small plaque on the way, which we will frame together with the badge and ribbons. It will be a suitable monument.

The medals will have long pins on the back (vice safety-pin type). This will make it easier for framing.

G.

That, I will take you up on.
Old 07-10-04, 02:46

I guess I'm screwed then, eh? For the record, I insist, though. This is part of your livelihood and I wish to make no demands upon THAT.

We're gonna make this happen, gents, and I thank you for your help.

G.

But jeez, you're gonna drink me dry next time, aintcha?

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Misztal

And ... what if I say no?

The medals will have long pins on the back (vice safety-pin type). This will make it easier for framing.

G.

That, I will take you up on.
Old 07-10-04, 04:15
Vets Dottir

Unhappy Ahhhhh.

YOU people .....

You sure allknow how to make me cry
again and again ... in the most wonderful
ways. I won't forget ...

Geoff ... I know SUNYAPs when I see 'em
I all of you ... wish I could do more.
One day though ... one day.

With :love: from Karmen
Old 07-10-04, 04:35
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Ahhhhh.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
YOU people .....

You sure allknow how to make me cry
again and again ... in the most wonderful
ways. I won't forget ...

Geoff ... I know SUNYAPs when I see 'em
I all of you ... wish I could do more.
One day though ... one day.

With :love: from Karmen
Well....if you're really all that choked up about this situation, you could buy us a couple of crates of...Beer, drinking, crying in, for the use of
Old 07-10-04, 04:59
Vets Dottir

Default Beer Barrel

Hey SKAG ... barrel, keg, maybe one day I'll be able to do just that! I hope I get to Ontario for a visit within the next few months (my turn next to visit Master Sunray, and others perhaps???) I'll try to budget for a keg or something ...or learn how to brew my own beer for the heck of it, and bring it along? (dreamers )

Just be sure that whereever I visit theres coffee!!! Just ask Master Sunray how much beer it takes to make me drunk (Sunray ... remember EARLS?)(or anything else for that matter) Just the smell of the stuff gets me tipsy Quarter of a glass has my cheeks hot and almost drunk.

Also Skagfeld ... if I'm anywhere near YOU, make sure yore new green wheeled toy is ready with the keys, a cushion or 3 for to sit on soI can see over the windshield, and someone who knows how to shift gears beside me ... I'll volunteer as the designated driver after you teach me to drive that thang!

Thanj ya verra much Oh Great Skagfeld
Old 07-10-04, 08:48
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Yappy behind the wheel??!!??!!

Quote:
I'll volunteer as the designated driver after you teach me to drive that thang!
Good on you, Carmen you Go for it!

If you need training, there are plenty Downunder you can drive on the correct side of the road.

Jon, the C15A came with a spare gearbox, didn't it?

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 08-10-04, 03:56
Vets Dottir

Default Keefy

Oh Thank you Master Keefy. Everyone else is ignoring me right now Is there some written-in-testosterone-rule that it's bad luck for an estrogen type Little Miss VD/PW ...to drive that ole ... uh... what the heck was that thang again???? ... Oh, yeah, now I remember, a MASTER SKAGFELDS C15A

I dare you ...tell me what I want is taboo and that I'm to be disappointed and I'll DEMONSTRATE to you what bad luck is FRYING PAN
Old 08-10-04, 04:04

Default re: Keefy

We actually have to get to the part about what "gears" are, first. All things in good time. The bloody truck has survived for 60 years so far, and I must presume it will last another 60 in the interim...

Now be a good ...
Old 08-10-04, 05:40
Art Johnson

Default MLU

Only on MLU you say--pity.

Hey Karmen who loves you baby.
Old 08-10-04, 05:47
Vets Dottir

Default Re: MLU

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
Only on MLU you say--pity.

Hey Karmen who loves you baby.
Hey Art, other than YOU you mean? (I'll never tell )
Old 08-10-04, 09:43
Richard Notton

Default Re: Beer Barrel

Quote:
to sit on soI can see over the windshield, and someone who knows how to shift gears beside me ...
Piece of piss (technical term).
Press LHS pedal.
Push gear lever.
When grinding noise stops, release pedal.
Job done.

I do recall being transported on a courtesy bus from Rockwell at Norcross (GA) to Atlanta Apt in a large, manual shift vehicle where the very jolly and friendly lady driver of ethnic origin, made every change (shift) in this way.

It was something of a relief to eventually arrive in time for the flight and allow the mechanically abused nerve endings to relax for a while.

R.
Old 08-10-04, 09:57
Vets Dottir

Default LMAO MASTER R.

You crack me up Master R.

(hmmmm ...."crack me up" ... wasn't there a Bette Middler tune about cracking up : )

Sounds like you had a jolly good ole ride. And i think I know the noises you mean. A man I worked with once tried teaching me to drive the Suzuki Jeep and it's funny, but thjeep kept making those sounds too very time I shifted gears

The guy was a totally impatient and lousy
With a good teacher I'd learn properly. Any volunteers to ???