MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 26-01-18, 00:58
Does he look like a Blitz

Default CMP Ford & Chev cab 13 parts interchangeable?

Hey all - I have a few good blitz leads happenning - need to know what parts of Ford and Chev cabs are interchangeable.
Can I put the following Ford parts on Chev cab:
1) Solid doors
2) Windscreens + mechanisms
3) Roof unbolted at waist/top of doors
OR - let me know the sections that are not interchangeable?
Thanks again.
Old 26-01-18, 23:36
VMVC

Default Ford and Chevy CMP cabin parts interchangabilty

Hi Dave,

I am fairly certain the doors are interchangeable but cannot vouch for the other items.

Thing to keep in mind, however, is authenticity. If you are not concerned with that, and you are only concerned with closing in a cab then Ford cabin parts on Chevy CMP trucks may do the job.

Designs are different for the Ford and Chevy doors and roofs. Ford doors have embossed stiffening on the inside of the doors which meet at a circle. On the Chevy doors they meet at a point.
The Ford roofs have two grab handles at the roof hatch while the Chevy has a single grab rail. The roof hatches are also different designs. The internal stiffening is also different between the two roof types.

Perhaps someone else can advise if the bolt patterns are the same between the two differeent type roof sections. I haven't tried to put Chevy parts on my Ford.

Have attached photos of the Ford inside door embossed stiffening meeting at a circle, the two roof grab handles, and a photo of a Ford Windscreen frame. Perhaps the hole spacing on the frame will help you determine if a Ford windscreen will fit a Chevy.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0027.JPG   IMG_0008.JPG   IMG_3009.JPG  

Jacques Reed
Old 26-01-18, 23:58
Does he look like a Blitz

Thanks Jacques - that's just the dilemna - I have all those parts in your pictures in v good nick and a pretty good Ford cab allround + toolbox/spare wheel carrier, but chassis, suspension and brakes all shot.
I have opportunity to buy Chev in reverse condition: cactus cab.
I understand not authentic - but better to make one good one?
Unless someone out there has a Chev cab?????
And I sell my Ford shorty.
Old 27-01-18, 04:31
VMVC

Default Dilemma

Hi Dave,

That is a bit of a dilemma! Perhaps you could post a swap request here on MLU and see what happens?

Good chance someone needs your good Ford cabin parts and may have equivalent condition Chevy cabin parts for a swap.

If not, and the parts swap over from the Ford to the Chevy chassis, at least it gets you going and you could always sell/swap the Ford parts when a good Chevy cab comes along. Despite EBay claims there are still al lot of those trucks out there. Just a matter of finding them which does take time however.

In the end it is all about personal preferences and what suits you. The best thing is the bits and pieces are being preserved and not going to scrap.

All the best with your project.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 29-01-18, 19:18
Dusan Klavik

Default windscreen frames

Hi Dave,

I am pretty sure that the Chev windscreen frames will fit Ford cab. I have several frames both Ford and Chev and they all fit. The Chev frames seem to be a little thinner but it could be just a production variant. The size is the same and fit on Ford without problems.

1938 Standard Flying 12 Staff Car
1943? Ford FGT cab.13 project
180 gall WWII water bowser project
1942 Fordson WOT8 project

www.rotanazdar.cz