MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 02-06-05, 12:54

Default Help: Canadian National Archives signature

Hi,

From one of the veterans of the Polish 1st Armoured Division who lives in Canada I received the scans of a document coming from Ottawa-based National Archives. Both he and me are not sure what is the original source of this document (Canadian 1st Army?; Canadian 2nd Corps?) and what really is this document (after action report?).

As you can see archival signature of this document is:

P.A.C. R.G. 24
VOL. 10,942
FILE 245P1.013 (D6)

Does anyone of you recognize such a signature as belonging to any section of the Canadian military archives? What would you advise me to try to find original WWII source of this document and its name? I have never corresponded with the Canadian National Archives officials that is why I do not have personal experience if they answer my e-mail when I ask them about this document and its signature.

I would be very thankful for your consultation.

Old 02-06-05, 19:09

Default Re: Help: Canadian National Archives signature

Hi Crewman,

That is what a National Archives cite for war diaries and similar documents usually looks like, but I can't find a match using their simple search tool here:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/arch...2010502_e.html

or the advanced one here:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/arch...2010503_e.html

I tried 10942 as both a file number and as a microfilm number (and a few other combinations as well) with no luck. You may wish to try some other possibilities (especially with possible unit names) in the simple search tool, limiting the search to RG 24. I don't know of a way to search for that file number.

Record Group (RG) 24 is National Defence, where war diaries etc are maintained. That file number, however, doesn't match anything in that group. It does match some unrelated stuff in RG 25 (Foreign Affairs).

Don't know enough NAC history to know if their numbering system could have changed over the years, though it seems unlikely. Could only suggest writing them and asking them if they can track it down.
Old 03-06-05, 10:43

Dear Klambie,

Thank you very much!

This is the first good direction for me for the next steps.

Looking at the style of this document do you have any idea what may be the name of such document? The Allies had various terminology like Combat Action Report, After Action Report, Operational Report, War Diary, Corps Diary etc. Any idea what is this? And also any idea what is this "PAC" abbreviation at this document?

One more time thank you very much.

Best regards

C.
Old 03-06-05, 15:24
RIP

Default Archives

The PAC is the old name for the Library & Archives Canada (Public Archives of Canada).
The Record Group (RG) is 24 which identifies it as Department of National Defence (DND)
The file number 245P1.013 (D6) further identifies this as a file which was held at the Historical Section of DND and then transferred to the Archives. Many of these have not had their Finding Aids digitized so a web search would not help.
I can order this file and take a look. If you want copies then that can be easily arranged as the file is obviously 'open'.
Old 04-06-05, 10:15

Default Re: Archives

Dear SP,

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
The PAC is the old name for the Library & Archives Canada (Public Archives of Canada).
The Record Group (RG) is 24 which identifies it as Department of National Defence (DND)
The file number 245P1.013 (D6) further identifies this as a file which was held at the Historical Section of DND and then transferred to the Archives. Many of these have not had their Finding Aids digitized so a web search would not help.
Thank you very much, I am very grateful. This is next important step for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by servicepub
I can order this file and take a look. If you want copies then that can be easily arranged as the file is obviously 'open'.
Friend, this is fantastic proposition but for me the last thing in the world would be causing the problems for you. I do not know how does it work - is it a problem to ask National Archives for checking such an old and most likely not digitized file?; what is cost of such operation?; etc. I do not know what to answer...

Thank you and best regards

C.
Old 04-06-05, 17:23
RIP

Default Re: Re: Archives

Quote:
Originally posted by Crewman

Friend, this is fantastic proposition but for me the last thing in the world would be causing the problems for you. I do not know how does it work - is it a problem to ask National Archives for checking such an old and most likely not digitized file?; what is cost of such operation?; etc. I do not know what to answer...

C.
Crewman,
No problem, the file will be delivered 24 hours after ordering. There is no cost for this. Getting photocopies may take 4-6 weeks because of the backlog. The pages cost CDN$0.40/page. I don't plan on going to the Archives for a couple of weeks as I will be out of town on a business trip. I will let you know when this is done.
Clive
Old 05-06-05, 12:20

Dear Clive,

Good God, sometimes I think from what Good Planet you, dear Canadians, arrived...
I have never seen such a friendly forum as the MLU

Thank you very much, Clive! Just in case my credit cards are at your disposal.

This night or tomorrow morning I will contact you via PM and describe you more in detail what I need from this archival record group.

One more time thank you!

Best regards

C.