MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 16-03-09, 00:58

Default Matthew Halton CBC HUW acetate record equipment???

I don't know if this has been hashed out before on previous threads? What kind of recording instrument did Halton use out of his HUP/HUW? A Presto cutting unit? Phil, can you help me out here? Cheers Rob

http://www.televar.com/grshome/Presto2.html
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 16-03-09, 18:58

Default Simple answer Yes

Hi Rob

Yes CBC, ABC, and even BBC used some Presto equipment, look at my web page which has some information and links to other sources http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/CBCandBBC.html and http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/CBCandBBCinWWII.html. Now if your question is which model Presto thats going to take some researching.

I'm collecting information on Presto equipment of 1940's and 1950's. Presto was one of the big manufuactures of recording equipment. The US Navy equiped ships with disk recording equipment to record messages both Allied and Axis.

I'm also collecting Presto equipment which would have been in my truck. Recently I came across equipment list from BBC during WWII that listed them as having bought Presto Equipment. On the basis of this information I am willing to bet that my HUP would have been equiped with Presto gear.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 18-03-09, 01:31

Default Thanks for the reply Phil...

keep us up to date on Presto models that might have been in your truck. Someone here in Manitoba gave me a call and said he had a complete unit that was passed down from his father. . I have yet to see it, but I will be in touch. Cheers Rob
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 07-11-10, 23:41

Default Hello Phil...

This Presto unit and pieces never panned out. I would love to see a pic of Haltons HUP interior in Italy. Has anyone here ever talked to his son David, a big time CBC news reporter, now retired I believe? Cheers Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Copy%20of%20The%20Sound%20of%20War%20%20Book%2810%29.jpg  
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 08-11-10, 17:17

Hello Rob.

When Peter Ford was still alive and working with CBC, he had been tempted to pick up the old HUW that used to be pretty complete out in Sprague, MB. It was the same model as was used by the CBC overseas. Apparently the CBC studio in Winnipeg had a very nice 'accumulation' as he put it, of the equipment that was used in these vehicles during the war, that was just sitting in the bowels of the building gathering dust. He mentionned wire recorders and a bunch of other equipment that was all Greek to me at the time. He had approached the CBC Winnipeg crew with an idea that he could restore the HUW as a clone of one of the original units used overseas, if CBC Winnipeg would make the equipment they had available to kit the thing out.

Sadly, someone tipped the HUW over and stripped off the running gear before he could finalize the project. CBC may still have the equipment.

David
Old 08-11-10, 18:08

Default CBC and BBC HUPs

Hi David and Rob

I have been continuing to search for information on both the CBC, BBC, and ABC mobile recording equipment and their us of CMPs. Nothing major to report though I do need to update my web page with some bits a pieces of information that has come up.

As to your question about a picture of the inside of the Mobil Unit No 4 which is the one that Halton used on many occasions. No I have not found a picture yet, but I have hope that with the constant increase of photo and film archives that can be search on line I hope that it if it exists I'll find it.

There is some information about the fate of the CBC HUPs and equipment that turn up in the "The Sounds of War, Memoirs of a CBC Correspondent" by Peter Stursberg, I will try to get that posted soon.

I am attempting to contact David Halton's, Matthew Halton's son through a mutual friend to explore what information he might have and what information we might have to share with him.

Concerning my HUP, after 30+ years of driving my BBC HUP it is head into to the shop this winter for a down to the frame restoration and repaint. The engine on this truck has never been apart and though I hate to take it apart because it still runs so nice its oil consumption and oil leakage is getting to the point that it must be done. I'll put the time lapse camera on when I start the project and post the picture link.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 08-11-10, 18:38
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Lt-Col. (retd) Doug Gayton was OIC of the Canadian Army broadcast service for the CAOF. He has put together some interesting info and some great equipment shots of the studios in occupied Europe. I think the CBC used similar stuff. He mentions having a couple of 8cwts. I've compiled a pdf of the info and can email it to anyone who's interested. It's about 3.6Mb in size.
Old 08-11-10, 19:12

Just another quick thought re CBC Winnipeg, Rob.

Maybe touch base with Lorne E. His Dad worked there the same time Peter was with the Saskatoon branch and they might still know some contacts to check with on the old equipment.

Now I must nap!!!

Cheers,

David
Old 14-11-10, 00:29

Default More pics...

a Hup/Huw???
Attached Thumbnails
Copy%20of%20The%20Sound%20of%20War%20%20Book%2822%29.jpg  
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 14-11-10, 13:29

Default HUP s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Fast View Post
a Hup/Huw???
Hi Rob

I believe that all of the small mobile CBC units where HUP(s) though they also had a Pattern 11 Ford 30 or 60 "Big Betsy" which was the first truck they shipped over seas. The also used various commercial vehicles until they settled on the HUP as being the most practical.

The photo is believed to be Recording Unit -4 which seems to be the most photogenic of the trucks.

Rob and any body else that is interested in the CBC radio correspondents and their equipment the best book is Powley, A.E., Broadcast From the Front: Canadian Radio Overseas in the Second World War (Toronto: Hakkert, 1975). (Which appears on e-bay and other book dealers.)

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 14-11-10 at 13:29. Reason: spelling
Old 21-12-10, 12:39
Kostas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Rob and any body else that is interested in the CBC radio correspondents and their equipment the best book is Powley, A.E., Broadcast From the Front: Canadian Radio Overseas in the Second World War (Toronto: Hakkert, 1975). (Which appears on e-bay and other book dealers.)
Yes, there is one on the ebay now.

Name:  CANADA_Broadcast From the Front_ Canadian Radio Overseas_.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  39.6 KB

@Phill, having that book on your bookcase, can you tell us a few more words reviewing the chapter refering esp. the HUW?
1940 NORTON 16H (project waiting)
Old 21-12-10, 14:12

2 copies for sale right now on ebay (both out of Canada), one presently $10, the other $32, both are buy it now pricing but look at the postage to be sure which is the better buy for your part of the world. The usual disclaimers about not knowing the sellers apply.
Old 22-12-10, 17:51

I just bought one of the books from ebay. I got it from "E.G.URSUAL MILITARY ANTIQUARIAN" as they have been a reputable seller of stuff long before ebay.

The shipping price listed on ebay is wrong and they list the approx correct ones below in the text.

My total in CND $ 22.23
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 22-12-10, 23:57

Default Interesting read

Hi Jordan

Hope you enjoy the it, from my personal point of view I found it very interesting. I'll have to check the links on my web site but the last time I checked they were still good. There are links to some of the recordings and more images which may help put the book in context.

http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.com/CBCandBBC.html
http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...BBCinWWII.html

If anyone finds more information on the web please let me know.

Interesting that CMPs were used by the BBC, CBC, and ABC.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
Old 23-12-10, 00:18

Anyone looking for the book (including cheaper than the cheaper of the two mentioned above) may want to try Amazon.com (They had more results than Amazon.ca - including cheaper ones.)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ront&x=15&y=21
Old 23-12-10, 06:01
Derek Heuring

Default Ask for it on Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
Anyone looking for the book (including cheaper than the cheaper of the two mentioned above) may want to try Amazon.com (They had more results than Amazon.ca - including cheaper ones.)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ront&x=15&y=21
For any Kindle users, you can request to have any book converted to digital form which can then be downloaded for much less than purchasing the book. One caveat though, it's great for text only, any pictures will be mono-chromatic but still viewable.

Cheers, Derek
Old 23-12-10, 07:16

Default Matthew Halton? CBC

Gentlemen: In regards to Matthew Halton and the CBC Truck used during WW11. I was in touch with his son David this year. I did this on behalf of Phil Waterman, who has a vehicle from the same period of time and History. Phil and I have been trading emails over the last year regarding Matthew and his CMP. Phil and I owe each other a phone call and so do David and and I.

The Halton family are close to my family, as my uncle Tom was a close friend of Matthew's brother "Seth". There are stories I could tell from my uncle Tom are worth a entry on the forum. His nephew, is one of my best friends. I can tell you this.....if you put his nephew in a WW11 Cdn Uniform... you have Matthew Halton

When I spoke with David and Geoff earlier this year, on a couple of other subjects, I put him in touch with Phil, but Phil and I need to re communicate.

David Halton is currently writing a book about his Father and only as CLIVE would know, this info is what sells a book.

I will talking with David and Phil in the New Year and for whatever info I can pass on to the the forum...you are more than welcome.

Kindest Regards....Robert Morrison (Vancouver B.C.)