MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 02-01-05, 13:43
Simon Skelton

Default parts location in the UK for a CGT

Hi everyone

Does anyone know where in the UK I can just ring up (well miracles do happen) that might have hub oil seals, bearings, brake cylinder overhaul kits and the locking tab that goes between the two hub nuts, any info is much appreciated

Regards Simon
Old 02-01-05, 14:43

Hi Simon

Why not give Dirk a shout? While not in the UK he is close enough that postage should not be too bad. If you are not in a hurry he would bring stuff to Beltring for you. I see from your address that you are lucky enough to be right near Beltring. It would be nice to even make a weekend excursion to his place and pick up your things. You guys are so lucky over there to be so close to so much military vehicle collecting activity.
Barry

http://www.lwdparts.com/
Old 02-01-05, 14:53

Default HELLO

HI BARRY
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU
Hope this finds you well and without to much snow i finaly got the M5 running with the 6volt dynamo on but its quite hard to start ,6 volts hardly turns it over when its cold im not sure where the two leads go from the dynamo dont know if you can help with that . my heater gas fired is now ready to fit to the truck after making sure there are no fumes getting in will send you some pictures later. vic uk
Old 02-01-05, 20:45

Default oil seals hub

Just remembered i got hub oil seals for my c15 from REX WARD of the windscreen fame they are the same as the DUKW also had the brake cilinders. worth a try.. vic uk
Old 02-01-05, 21:36
MLU Administrator

Default Re: oil seals hub

Quote:
Originally posted by Vic Eaton
REX WARD of the windscreen fame they are the same as the DUKW
Find his contact details here. Please let us know which parts he carries for CMPs, Simon.
Old 03-01-05, 00:23
Simon Skelton

Thanks for that bit of info Vic and Hanno, I have sent Rex Ward an email and hopefully I should get some joy from it and the best bit is that he only lives in Berkshire, about an hours run from me

Thanks boys
Old 03-01-05, 16:22
Dutch member

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry C
Hi Simon

Why not give Dirk a shout?
Hi Barry,

The problem of some of the CMP truck owners is that they make no time for take a look in the right "Parts list & Manual". I have more than 3000 CMP Ford & Chevrolet numbers, parts & items in stock.My question is always, please give me a "part" number. Maybe time to make more advertisements for Alex Blair's nice "Parts & Manual" site http://dana-nield.com/blair/MilitaryManuals

Mvg. Dirk
Old 03-01-05, 16:47
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk Leegwater
Maybe time to make more advertisements for Alex Blair's nice
"Parts & Manual" site http://dana-nield.com/blair/MilitaryManuals
Thanks Dirk..
I don't know how people restore their vehicles without the proper manuals..
I would like to point out two manuals that should be in everyones collection when it comes to restoration..

#1A:300+ pages
No.197
Chevrolet Spare Parts List..1940-1942
For CMP Vehicles..8 hwt.4x2,15 hwt.4x2,15 hwt.4x4, 30 hwt.4x4,3 ton 4x4,F.A. Gun Tractor 4x4...
Aug 1942

#26: 327 pages
NO NUMBER
FORD CANADA, ILLUST. ARMY PARTS CATALOGUE 1940-42 FOR CDN. MIL. PATTERN VEHICLES. 8" CWT-4x2, 15CWT-4x2, 15CWT-4x4, 30CWT-4x4, 3-TON4x4, 3-TON-6x4, F.A. TRACTOR 4x4. (Jan. '42)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THese two manuals are cross references for all the CMPs except the armoured cars and the C8A...
All parts are listed by Dirks numbers,the original GM and Ford numbers and it shows how many and which one goes where..and which ones are common..It includes the F 30 And the C 30...which are rare manuals to start with....The No 197 manual I suspected existed but had only recently seen one which I bought immediately ,recognizing it for what it was,,
It came out of California...where else..??
I just listed it this week along with other new manuals..Dana has done a great job on a total over haul..Come for a visit and drop me a line..
Old 03-01-05, 16:59

Default manuals

HI ALL
Yes of course you are right i myself have some manuels but never use them only for engine problems and the like , i think its because we assume we cant get the spares anyway ,in futurei for one will look in the parts list and give DIRK a ring !! vic uk.
Old 03-01-05, 19:58
Simon Skelton

There are no identification numbers on my Chev but I have been told by other CMP owners (from War and Peace ) that it is from around 1943. I have a spare parts book with the number CGT-01 in the top right hand corner of the front cover, do you think this manual might be the right one for my vehicle, because there is no point quoting part numbers from my book if it is not relevent for my truck. This might be obvious to some but we all have to start somewhere dont we
Old 03-01-05, 21:15

Quote:
Originally posted by badger1bear
There are no identification numbers on my Chev but I have been told by other CMP owners (from War and Peace ) that it is from around 1943. I have a spare parts book with the number CGT-01 in the top right hand corner of the front cover, do you think this manual might be the right one for my vehicle, because there is no point quoting part numbers from my book if it is not relevent for my truck. This might be obvious to some but we all have to start somewhere dont we
That is the gun tractor parts manual..Should have a green cover on it..
If you have a guntractor,chev..that is the right parts manual..
The MB-C2 is the correct maintenance manual..

#3: 300+ pages
MB-C2 Maintenance Manual,
for GM CMP vehicles. 15 cwt 4x2, 15 cwt. 4x4, 30 cwt 4x4, 3 ton 4x4 HU 4x4, F.A.T. 4x4. Sept. 1943

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3A 300+ pages
GM Service Bulletins
Updates for MB-C2(May-November 1943)..
***These bulletins were issued to the field maintenance shops for upgrades to the CMP vehicles.. Many proceedures in the bulletins and additions did not make the maintenance manuals..

#3B 300+ pages
MB-C1 Maintenance Manual
For GM CMP vehicles...C-15,C-15A,C-30,C-60S,C-60L,C-GT
C-8A Issued April 1942

#4: 262 pages
CGT-03
CHEV. ILLUST. SPARE PARTS LIST,
F.A. GUN TRACTOR, MOD. CGT - CHASSIS 8440-, 101 "WB" (INC.CGT-01, CGT-02 & CGT-03) CDN. MIL. PATTERN. (MAR'45).

All of the above manuals would pertain to your guin tractor
The CGT-01 is the first parts manual..The CGT-03 as shown was the last issued in '45...
There would be some small differences but you have a good start.
Now if it is a gun tractor..
Got a picture to post..??
Old 03-01-05, 21:24
Simon Skelton

Thank you for putting me right Alex, at least I can start looking up some numbers with confidence now. Here is a link to a posting some time back of my modified CGT
http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...light=modified
Old 03-01-05, 21:27
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Got a picture to post..??
See Highly modified CGT. And do you have a picture for Simon?
Old 03-01-05, 22:02
Dutch member

Default FAT ?

Quote:
There are no identification numbers on my Chev but I have been told by other CMP owners (from War and Peace ) that it is from around 1943. I have a spare parts book with the number CGT-01 in the top right hand corner of the front cover..........
Simon, maybe the same book?Try to find out the parts & numbers between the CGT FAT book and your Chev. truck. You can find some of the special CGT parts in the category "Winch - Cab - Body".

Mvg. Dirk

Old 03-01-05, 22:22
Simon Skelton

Thank you Dirk, yes that is the book I have. I will sit down and work out some part numbers and send them off to you and hopefully you will have something in your inventory to help me out

Thanks Simon
Old 04-01-05, 00:35

Quote:
Thank you Dirk, yes that is the book I have. I will sit down and work out some part numbers and send them off to you and hopefully you will have something in your inventory to help me out

Thanks Simon
Hi Simon
The 101" WB and the winch would help to start..
Looks like it started out as a CGT but there are numbers on the transfer case and transmission and if you can get them it will tell us at least which transfer case and transmission..Although they all are pretty well interchangeable ,except the a/cars.Look for little metal tags on the different components..As for the engine..Perkin made a pretty fair deisel...

Axle housings will have numbers on them also..
Old 04-01-05, 11:32
former Resident Historian

Default Comments!

1. Note that the F8A is never mentioned...if any manual existed, and I assume that it did, was it the rarest CMP manual of all apart from the C8AX perhaps and the FC602S/L?

2. Note the CGT book states that a portee body could be fitted to the CGT chassis although there were just the S/M 2028 2-pounder Portees with # 42 Cab. Interesting that the option was still open to use the chassis again for the say 6-pounder, although they were of course C60L chassis in the event.

3. When was the first usage of the term 'CANADIAN MILITARY PATTERN'? Note the Fall 1942 date, so it must be earlier than that. 'SPECIAL PATTERN VEHICLES' was used for some time from say April 1940 as well as 'DND-PATTERN'.

4. When do the manuals change the 'C/F30S' designation to 'C/F30'? I conject late 1940, for 1941 Model year.
Old 04-01-05, 21:20

Default CGT

HI THERE SIMON
I think i have some rear winch parts for one of those including the long roller do you have all that? vic uk.
Old 04-01-05, 21:40
Simon Skelton

Hi Vic

thanks for the kind offer but the winch is one of the best working features on the old lady I am not sure if you know but my winch is not directly mechanicly driven like the others, (people stand back in wonder) when I engage my PTO through the gearbox it engages a hydraulic pump which in turn feeds a doughty pump which is then connected via a small prop shaft to the winch itself (people are sitting back now wondering what the heck for) well I will tell you also on the back of my Chev are two Hydraulic rams, the winch raises the crane jib to roughly 3 feet before vertical (if you go past vertical you end up with rather an impressive nut cracker) at this point the two hydraulic rams are extended via a valve block in the cab and are secured to the base of the crane jib, this then takes the jib to just past vertical and then the winch rope is then able to be used for building erection, its a shame that not many of these still survive in the Tyler modified form, for their time they were the Bee's knees in building construction. I think the standard CGT weighs in at about 3 tons (i stand to be corrected here) but my old lady rolls in at a ground thumping 5 tons. Those Canadians sure knew how to build a tough truck.