MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Tributes

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-07-03, 23:39
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default B/128032 Trooper FARAGHER, Arnold B.

It is with great personal regret I must announce the passing into the ranks of the White Battalion of another Canadian Soldier.

B/128032 Trooper FARAGHER, Arnold B., late of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment, died this morning at Owen Sound from complications due to previous heart surgury. He was 82.

Arnold "Red" Faragher was born and grew up in the mining country of Northern Ontario, supporting his family from the age of 14 onwards. At 18 he joined the Canadian Army and volunteered for overseas service. After some time with the 12th Manitoba Dragoons in England, during which time he'd been posted on a tank-driving course, he ended up being "volunteered" as a Driver/Mech for the first draft of 'Kangaroos', as they came to be called, at the beginning of August 1944. He was one of the originals who by themselves "commanded", drove and maintained the Defrocked Priests throughout August and September of that year, before becoming the core element of the newly-created 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment.

Red served with the Regiment right up until disbandment, then returned to Canada to be demobbed and carry on with a healthy, successful civilian life. He was damned proud of his service though, and especially of having been a Kangaroo. He was inexhaustible when it came to telling stories, for his experiences over there were deeply ingrained in him, never far from the surface. One of his best friends, another 'original' Kangaroo, was killed in action on 9 Feb 1945, and Red never forgot him. His other best friend - the three had been together since basic training - died three years ago in New Brunswick.

I like to think they're back together now, the three of them, stirring up shit and making the officers' lives miserable as they were wont to do so long ago... all three were quintessential 'Canadians Overseas', independent, resourceful, disdainful of trumped-up authority and constantly in trouble. The Kangaroos was an ideal outlet for their energy and aggressiveness, due to the independent nature of their existence on the battlefield.

Red and his delightful wife of 60 years, Marge, were personal friends of myself and the Empress; we have stayed at their house in Matachewan (where they retired), and have met them several times elsewhere (and talked regularly on the phone). They were both wonderful people, and I feel particularly for Marge right now.

Trooper Faragher, I salute you. Rest assured, wherever you are, you will never be forgotten. This country will probably never again see the likes of you fellows, and I want you to know that we appreciate what it all cost you. Thank you for your lives.

Oh, and say "hi" to Aurele and Don for me, too.