MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 07-02-10, 10:43

Default Chev Wrecker

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me if the Holmes W45 as fitted on the Dimond T is the same crane as fitted to the Chev, as i have one standing on the back of my chev and was planning on fitting it but have a feeling the booms may be longer than the one made to fit the chev.
Old 07-02-10, 11:25

Default Same system, but surely a heavier version?

My Diamond T manual doesn't mention the model number, but does say it is rated at 5 tons per boom, 10 tons total. Not easy to modify or lighten, so possibly best just sold to someone with a bare T chassis?
Old 07-02-10, 11:55

W45 is what a Diamond T uses.
CMP's used hand operated winches and the whole thing is a lot smaller and lighter.
Cheers
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
old comp 696.jpg   6.2.2010 109.jpg  
42 C15A
43 969A Diamond T wrecker
Type 2,3 & 4 Ausssie jeep trailers
Old 07-02-10, 12:10

Default What's the heavy?

I think you've answered the question, but what is the heavy behind the Chev in the photo?

It looks big enough to be an M26 Pacific but isn't quite right for that, so I'm thinking a big M-series equivalent?

Gordon
Old 07-02-10, 12:23

Default W45

The Chev did have power operated winches and is identical to look at as the one fitted to a diamond T, my friend has one fitted to a Mack NM6 but im unsure if the booms would have been shorter on the Chev. Jeff your first picture is not the same as my W45 i guess thats due to the W45 being power operated I will try and upload a photo.
Old 07-02-10, 12:35
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Wreckers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by martineaton View Post
The Chev did have power operated winches and is identical to look at as the one fitted to a diamond T, my friend has one fitted to a Mack NM6 but im unsure if the booms would have been shorter on the Chev. Jeff your first picture is not the same as my W45 i guess thats due to the W45 being power operated I will try and upload a photo.
Yep...
The Chev C60 S was fitted with the W35 Holmes wrecker..The W45 was heavier rating and fitted on the Diamond "T" 969...
Ex Mr.Manual...
And the Ratings on the W45 and The W35 are in the MB C2 and the Diamond "T" maintenance manuals..I don't have them any more but Grant could look up the ratings..
But I believe they are 10 and 15 ton rated..
Memory is slipping ..
Like my clutch...
Old 07-02-10, 12:38

Default photo

This is my friends Mack with the W45
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0033.JPG  
Old 07-02-10, 12:50

Default W35

Hi Alex, Its been years since i visited you with Brian and Barry to buy some manuals!

Thanks for that information, all i need to know now is the diferences bettween the W35 and the W45 then i can decide if im going to fit this crane to the chev or sell it to someone with a Diamond T.
Old 07-02-10, 13:08
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Long time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by martineaton View Post
Hi Alex, Its been years since i visited you with Brian and Barry to buy some manuals!

Thanks for that information, all i need to know now is the differences between the W35 and the W45 then i can decide if im going to fit this crane to the Chev or sell it to someone with a Diamond T.
Martin ..
Here is a link for pictures of the article below..
http://www.amv-lilliput.org/MODELLI/...PWRECK_ENG.htm
Hi Martin..Yes ..a long time ..I was thinking after I posted that the specs on the W 35 is in the CMP Bodies manual....
There are two different manufacturers on those cranes..The other is the Garwood ..They are a little different ..
Here is some info on the Canadian cranes and what they were fitted to...

Quote:
There were five main types of wartime Canadian-built twin-boom wreckers supplied to the Commonwwealth forces and Allies, with many detail variations. For convenience, we shall refer to them here as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Type, as follows:
1st Type: manual or hand-operated crane (Holmes W590) on long-wheelbase MCP 4x2 and CMP 4x4 (C60L, F60L) chassis, 1940-42.
2nd Type: hand-operated crane (Gar Wood CA5) on long-wheelbase MCP 4x2 and CMP 4x4 (C60L, F60L) chassis, 1942-43.
3rd Type: power-operated crane (Gar Wood CA5, Holmes W45CE or CBE) on short-wheelbase CMP 4x4 (C60S), 1942-44.
4th Type: power-operated crane (Holmes W45), India specification, on long-wheelbase CMP 4x4 (F60L) chassis, 1942-45.
5th Type: power-operated crane (Holmes W45) on six-wheel CMP 6x4 (F60H) chassis, 1941-43.

1st Type

During 1940-41, a number of Canadian MCP (Modified Conventional Pattern) chassis were fitted with manually-actuated commercial Holmes Speed King Auto Wrecker set, supplied by the Ernest Holmes Co. of Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA. The chassis, with standard all-steel cab, were militarized long-wheelbase Chevrolets and Fords (and possibly few Dodges) - conventional types modified and adapted for military use, with 16 in. wheels and 10.50-16 tyres (single rear), right-hand drive, khaki paint, special lighting, ecc. They were used at home and overseas (e.g. 39 shipped to Britain in 1940) for towing and for recovery of light vehicles. A small number found their way to the Middle East (Egypt).

In the interest of standardization and in order to provide some off-road capability, some batches of these cranes were installed on the contemporary CMP (Canadian Military Pattern) 3-ton 4x4 long-wheelbase Chevrolet C60L and Ford F60L chassis. Most of these went overseas and some have survived to this day, in Austria, Britain, New Zealand and possibly elsewhere. In the British Army they used to be known as the "Holmes Wrecker" or the "Breakdown, Light". They had two short swing booms, hinged rather high, with two hand-operated winches, and adjustable jacks extending down from the frame of the boom support. There were wooden lockers on each side of the body for tools and equipment.
2nd Type

In 1942, a new CMP wrecker, of heavier build, was introduced. Known as the "Light Breakdown Lorry (Hand Operated)" it comprised a Gar Wood CA5 wrecker crane with a static lift capacity of 2.5 tons on one boom and twice that load on two linked together and using two part lines. When the booms were swung out, the line from one winch could be used to anchor the wrecker to the ground - by means of a ground anchor or convenient post or tree - while the other was used to lift from the opposite direction. There were telescoping side brace legs which could be adjusted and dropped to the ground to relieve the frame from vertical load. The lines or cables could be removed from the boom and pull be made from the top of the wrecker frame. The booms could be raised and lowered by means of a hand-operated boom winch, situated near their pivots.

The superstructure, including composite wood and steel construction body with two stowage lockers (Body Code 5L1), was designed for mounting on long-wheelbase C60L and F60L chassis. There was an open bin for stowing odds and ends, in the centre, forward of the tool lockers. The spare wheel stood behind the cab. A variant was the 5L2 body, intended for mounting on 4x2 Chevrolet MCP chassis; it lacked the open centre bin and the tool lockers were somewhat different.

Canadian Army personnel in the field were none too pleased with the foregoing light types because there were numerous breakdown and recovering jobs which the CMP wreckers could not handle. They much preferred the medium and heavy types, which were the Diamond T 4-ton 6x6 with Holmes W45 and the Mack LMSW 6-ton 6x4 with Gar Wood CA8P crane. Both were power-operated and had tandem rear axles for better traction. The former was the most popular; it could deal with most emergencies, even if it was rather an overkill to come to the rescue of a dead jeep!
3rd Type

Meanwhile, an improved power-operated CMP light wrecker had made its appearance. It was considered desirable for the smaller jobs, from jeeps up to medium trucks, which formed the bulk of the casualties. It was much easier to manoeuvre than the Diamond T. This machine was sometime called the CMP "Holmes Type Powered Wrecker" (although many had Gar Wood equipment) and it used the short-wheelbase Chevrolet 3-ton 4x4 C60S chassis, both with No. 12 and 13 cab. The body was of all-steel welded construction, with four toolboxes, two on each side. Two chain lockers, again one on either side, were provided at the "cut-away" rear corners. There were hold-down clamps and saddles on the body floor for stowing one acetylene and one oxygen bottle as well as provision for carrying fuel, oil and water cans. The main items of equipment on the 3rd Type can be summed up as follows:
(a) wrecking crane, Gar Wood CA5P or Holmes W45CBE or CE with a static lift capacity of five tons on two booms, with two part lines. The power-driven winch drums had 100 ft of half-inch or 150 ft of 5/8-in. cable.
(b) underbody recovery winch with fairleads front and rear and 120 ft of 5/8-in. cable.
(c) towing frame, with attachments for CMP vehicle bumpers.
(d) superstructure and tarpaulin (if specified in contract).
(e) oxy-acetylene welding and cutting outfit.
(f) various small items of wrecking eqipment, e.g. axes, pics, shovels, tow ropes, ground rollers, shackles, ground anchors, snatch blocks, and much more. (There were even sou'wester oil skins and hats and hedging gloves, hip and knee-lenght rubber boots supplied when the vehicle was new from the factory).

The ground rollers were a typical Canadian item, made of wood, six ft long and 6 in. in diameter. GM supplied them under Part No. 5814364, Ford presumably leaving replacement to local skill. Canadian Diamond T and Mack wreckers also carried them, usually attached to the crane boom.

Of the 3rd Type (officially: "Lorry, 3-ton, 4x4, 134-in. WB, Breakdown, Light") there were five sub-variants, all on the C60S chassis, namely:
(a) BRKD-1, on 60444-M-P chassis with No. 12 cab, Gar Wood 4D1 body and Holmes crane. Boom lenght 11 ft. Telescoping extension legs on either side. Crane transmission driven by transfer case PTO. No chassis winch. 10.50-20 Run Flat tyres.
(b) BRKD-2, on 60444-M-WT chassis, basically as (a) except crane by either Gar Wood or Holmes (they had different booms). Side brace legs of tubular telescopic construction. Crane transmission driven by gearbox PTO. Chassis winch below body floor, driven by transfer case PTO. 10.50-20 pneumatic tyres.
(c) BRKD-3, as (b) but with No. 13 cab and arcticized (to -40° F). Body 4G1 for Holmes W45CE, 4G2 for Gar Wood CA5P crane. These bodies, which differed only in detail, were a development from the 4D1 above, with certain improvements. The 4G2 had a jerrican and oil can carrier instead of the earlier type POW (petrol, oil, water) carrier.
(d) BRKD-4, as (c) above, but not arcticized.
(e) BRKD-5, as (d) but winterized (to -20° F) and improved winch cable fairleads front and rear, and revised rear towing hook mounting.

Arcticized equipment (to -40° F) was produced in 1942 to Specification OA99 and fitted to CMP vehicles supplied under Contracts S/M 2563, 64, 66-74 and 2613 and 19, and Specification OA111 for the USSR. It comprised special fuel primer (for starting only), engine oil predilutor, cab heaters, under-chassis heater, tyre chains and detail changes to ignition and brake system, lubricants, fuel pump, thermostat, etc.

Winterized equipment was to Specification OA199 and intended to facilitate operation at ambient temperatures down to -20° F.

It would appear that these 3rd Type wreckers were the most numerous but as recovery vehicles their capabilities remained restricted to jeeps, cars, light and medium trucks. They were found to have certain shortcoming which could be rectified in field workshop. Information Bulletin P-5, issued by the Director of Mechanical Maintenance on September 17, 1943, provided illustrated instructions for a dozen detail improvements.

4th Type

This was similar to the previous powered wrecker but based on the CMP long-wheelbase F60L/C298QS (Special); the crane was the Holmes W45. This type was produced for assembly in India and hardly appears in the Canadian literature we possess. Yet, some were seen in Europe after the war. The long-wheelbase chassis was undoubtedly specified in view of the general compliant that the "lift and tow" performance was always limited by the lifting of the front wheels from the ground; the wider turning radius had to be accepted.
5th Type

The last model of our survey had been launched in 1941. This was the powered Holmes wrecker set mounted on the CMP six-wheeled chassis as produced by Ford, the F60H. Its main advantage was that the tandem bogie at the rear could cope with greater loads but since the rearmost axle was of the trailing type, i.e. non-driven, it did not improve traction. The six-wheeler which General Motors supplied would have been a better proposition because it was a six-by-six - with all-wheel drive - but the C60X was not provided with a chassis winch. These CMP six-wheelers had been designed for the mounting of special bodies of greater lenght than the 4x4 chassis were suited for, e.g. the larger mobile workshop. They did also appear as breakdown trucks with overhead gantry but these are not within the scope of this article.

The six-wheeled CMP wrecker was of course in head-on "competition" with the ubiquitous Diamond T 6x6 model, to which it lost out except with some overseas countries - including India - which wanted some because of standardization in their MT fleets.

Strangely enough, the F60H-based wrecker's most frequent pictorial appearances were in the wartime advertisements of the crane's manufacturer, Ernest Holmes. Their artwork showed it in different poses and for some reason always in conjunction with US Army vehicles and equipment! Perhaps Holmes did not want to identify with any domestic make. A typical text in such an ad - of November 1943 - read:

"No matter where out fighting forces may be you will find Holmes Wrecker Units on the job, speedily returning disabled implements of war to repair bases where they are skilfully reconditioned and rushed back in service. It is a momentous task, but Holmes Engineers foresaw the need for superlative equipment and were prepared to accomplish this extraordinary job.

"After we have won this war, Holmes Users will reap the benefits of these advanced developments through new and improved Holmes Wrecker Equipment. Until then, won't you please arrange with a nearby Holmes Users for your towing and road work. Shops with Holmes Equipment are speeding the day of final victory by keeping essential automotive transportation on the move".

Post-war, any of these relatively scarce Chevrolet and Ford wreckers when demobbed were in demand by garages the world over. Many were auctioned as being surplus to military requirements, to lead a new life in civilian service. As the decades went by, however, they began to show their age and although modern replacements were expensive most of the old warriors gradually disappeared from the scene in favour of later ex-military and new state-of-the-art machines which performed their recovery and towing tasks quicker, safer and generally more efficiently.

In the British Army all types of CMP wreckers were officially declared obsolescent immediately after VJ-Day.

Today we have a situation where only a handful of the originals survive, one or two still at work, others snapped up by MV collectors for preservation.

Technical Characteristics
Type: truck, 3-ton, 4x4, wrecker FRONT AXLE BODYWORK
Make and Model: Chevrolet C60S/8442/60444-M-BRKD-4 (1943) Type: banjo, full-floating, spiral bevel, with 6-in. Bendix-Weiss CV joints Type: wrecker, with swinging booms
Manufacturer: General Motors Products of Canada Ltd, Oshawa, Ontario. (Crane: Holmes W45CE or Gar Wood CA5) Make, Model: GM (McKinnon) 1810839 Other body styles: dump, GS, stores, derrick, engineers, telephone
ENGINE Ratio: 7.16:1 WINCH
Type: 6-cyl. in-line, overhead valve, liquid-cooled REAR AXLE Type: drum with horizontal spindle; 120 ft of 5/8-in. 6x37 cable
Make, Model: Chevrolet 216 Type: banjo, full floating, spiral bevel Make, Model: Ford CO11Q7150
Piston displacement: 216.5 cu.in. (3548 cc) Make, Model: GM (McKinnon) 1810878 Capacity: 5,000 lb
Bore and stroke: 3.5 x 3.75 in. Ratio: 7.16:1 DIMENSIONS
Power output: 85 (78 net) bhp at 3,400 rpm SUSPENSION Wheelbase: 134 in.
Torque: 170 lb. ft at 1,200 rpm Type: semi-elliptic leaf springs, with Delco lever-type shock absorber Track, front: 70.5 in., rear: 69 in.
Compression ratio: 6.25:1 CHASSIS Overall lenght: 222 in., width: 96 in., height: 112 in.
Carburettor: Carter W1-518SA Type: ladder frame with six cross members; width 33 15/16 in. Ground clearance: 11.75 in.
CLUTCH STEERING Angles of approach and departure: 65° and 36°
Type: single dry plate Type: recirculating ball; ratio 23.6:1 CAPACITIES (IMP)
Make, Model: Borg and Beck Make, Model: GM (Saginaw) 5266918 Engine: 8.25 pt (refill)
Diameter: 10.75 in. BRAKES Gearbox: 4.75 pt
MAIN GEARBOX Type, main: hydraulic on all wheels, with BK Bendix vacuum servo Transfer case: 2.5 - 3 pt
Type: 4-speed, manual, sliding gear, with PTO for crane drive parking: mechanical, on transfer case Differentials: 7.5 pt each
Make,Model: GM (McKinnon) 1810610 WHEELS AND TYRES Cooling system: 26 pt
Ratios: 1st 7.06:1; 2nd 3.48:1; 3rd 1.71:1; 4th 1.00:1; reverse 6.98:1 Wheel type: WD, split-disc, 20x6, 8-stud fixing Fuel tanks: 2 x 12.5 gal.
TRANSFER CASE Tyres: 10.50-20 WEIGHTS
Type: 2-speed, with front axle declutch, with PTO for chassis winch ELECTRICAL SYSTEM Kerb: 14,345 lb
Make, Model: GM (McKinnon) 5266623 Make: Delco-Remy Gross: 16,000 lb
Ratios: 1.00:1 and 1.87:1 Voltage: 6 (one battery, 90 Ah; negative grounded) PERFORMANCE
Generator: 30 Amp Max. speed: 43.5 mph
Cruising range: 200 miles
Gradability: 53%
Max. fording depth: 24 in.
Turning circle: 56 ft
Lift capacity: (static) 2.5 tons on one boom, 5 tons on two, using two part lines

BIBLIOGRAPHY: article drawn from "Wheels & Tracks" n. 34, © ed. Battle of Britain Prints International Ltd., London, England

Last edited by Alex Blair (RIP); 07-02-10 at 13:15. Reason: Adding info link.
Old 07-02-10, 14:11

Default W45

Thanks Alex

Looks like the booms would be too long for the C60 but ok on a C60L.

One truck i owned years back was the Brkd-3 as it was arcticized and had the garwood crane.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5555.JPG   IMG_5563.JPG