MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > Auction and Classified Ad Site Heads Up

Notices

Old 29-05-19, 18:21

Default Scrap LSVW/MLVW/HLVW GCSurplus

I am building the first wave of Scrap MLVW/HLVW from Petawawa.

We are still having issues with been able to post our vehicles on GCSurplus but I have 3x10 LSVW 2x 10 MLVW and 1x 10 HLVW for Scrap ready to go for auction.

These vehicles were mostly scheduled to be destroyed by CORCAN or they are fire casualties or completely rotten or have been cannibalized to the point were they are not the best for good auction.

We are looking to make a lot of room in our compounds and this is how we do it. I know for the collectors out there buying 10 vehicles is not the best option and the wreckers end up buying them.

I do have MLVW in running conditions and I do not know when they will be available to sale yet but soon and HLVW is unknown since most of them in my bigger compound have their transmission removed and I have to be authorized to sell both as good auction for purpose of driving on the road. For some reason I heard someone out there does not want MLVW on the road but those are rumours I personally drive my MLVW everyday in the yard and love it.

Keep an eye on GCSurplus for the sales if you are interested. Good LSVW show up as Western in the search and all the scrap military vehicle show up as Scrap.

I hope the updates is useful for future interested buyers. We are going to sell trailers at some points too but we are no focusing on them at the moment.

We are not selling any parts for them as it is very time consuming and would make our job a lot more complicated but I could look up into stock MLVW parts and LSVW parts and see what they are doing with them and maybe they can auction them on GCSurplus also for those looking for specific items.

This is not a guarantee and I have no way to know if it would be possible until I have supply Tech in my section to track all the traffic.

I am open to all suggestions to help out with the divestment team as we move forward with divesting the green fleet HLVW, G-Wagon, etc.
Old 29-05-19, 23:52
carrier mech

I talked to the LCMM of MLVW when he was here in Shilo about 5 months back, and asked him specifically about the MLVWs. He said there would be no sales to the public of those trucks, as they were deemed unfit for road use, primarily due ot the brake system.

The ones here in Shilo will be going to the local scrapyard, who are apparently going to be selling parts off them.
Old 30-05-19, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I talked to the LCMM of MLVW when he was here in Shilo about 5 months back, and asked him specifically about the MLVWs. He said there would be no sales to the public of those trucks, as they were deemed unfit for road use, primarily due ot the brake system.

The ones here in Shilo will be going to the local scrapyard, who are apparently going to be selling parts off them.
Yes that is what I heard too but air over hydraulic is nothing new on the road. There is many vehicle that still use it up to this day and I personally never though the issue was the brakes. If you have them adjusted properly there is no issue. The problem is that there is no auto-adjuster to compensate from the wear and tear and people only care about the minor adjustment for most part and do not adjust the majors.

I believe the trunnions and the steering knuckles are a bigger issue on these vehicle as they cause the vehicle to bounce all over the place and be extremely hard to control.

I have been fixing these vehicle for over 12 years and I currently drive one every single day as part of divestment. I believe with proper maintenance there should be no issue having one of these vehicle on the road as is! I would love to speak to the LCMM of MLVW so I can sell my good MLVW.

I have multiple MLVW that came from 400 THS ( 450) and some from RCD and 2CER and they are RUNNERS and some I would say Pretty GOOD conditions.

My goal is to get these good vehicle to the their rightful owners so they can enjoy them like I enjoy mine every day!
Old 30-05-19, 15:35

Also there are modded MLVW out there with the brake fluid reservoir under the Hood on the passenger side. This prevent the operator to forget about the brake fluid in the master under the floor(driver side) and should eliminate air into the system.

MLVW are known for air bubbles and I have seen a lot of them with mods cut off or simply removed.
Old 30-05-19, 19:53
carrier mech

It wasn't the air over hydraulics that was the problem, but that the brake system is a single system. Lose one wheel cylinder, or blow one line, and you lose all brakes. There is a dual system kit in the US in which you install a dual master cylinder and a second airpac, then do a lot of plumbing.

While that remote reservoir is a nice feature (I have installed it on several of the vehicles here at the museum) the downside is that you have to have a good gasket on the master cylinder cap. The cardboard gasket that comes with the cylinders does not cut it, and the copper ones are hard to come by. Rubber would be best.

Personally, I am a fan of the MLVW. It featured 1950s simple technology married to a reliable engine and transmission. The 4 batteries come in handy here in the Manitoba climate. I can't say I am a fan of the new style wheels. Those O rings are forever leaking down.
Old 01-06-19, 04:21
Terry Warner

Default LSVW tarp wanted

Hoping to find a loose LSVW tarp in Eastern Ontario. Anyone have any suggestions or offerings?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 03-06-19, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
It wasn't the air over hydraulics that was the problem, but that the brake system is a single system. Lose one wheel cylinder, or blow one line, and you lose all brakes. There is a dual system kit in the US in which you install a dual master cylinder and a second airpac, then do a lot of plumbing.

While that remote reservoir is a nice feature (I have installed it on several of the vehicles here at the museum) the downside is that you have to have a good gasket on the master cylinder cap. The cardboard gasket that comes with the cylinders does not cut it, and the copper ones are hard to come by. Rubber would be best.

Personally, I am a fan of the MLVW. It featured 1950s simple technology married to a reliable engine and transmission. The 4 batteries come in handy here in the Manitoba climate. I can't say I am a fan of the new style wheels. Those O rings are forever leaking down.
Yes I get your point there with loosing one wheel cylinder. it's happen to me multiple time and it leaks on to the shoes and soak up in there and even if you were to not lose all your brake right away there is no friction left on those shoes.

I hate having to deal with the cork and modifying with seals to prevent hubs from leaking onto the bearings ( old lubrication system) and out on the shoes as well.
Old 03-06-19, 18:46

I would love to get an ol' MLVW, but I have not seen one up for sale here in Quebec, GC surplus or private, in a very long time. I started my career as a mechanic with the old 2.5 SMP and switched to the ML. Loved that truck.
Old 04-06-19, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Genereux View Post
I would love to get an ol' MLVW, but I have not seen one up for sale here in Quebec, GC surplus or private, in a very long time. I started my career as a mechanic with the old 2.5 SMP and switched to the ML. Loved that truck.
Yup I received a call from Quebec yesterday asking for parts from LSVW. I am looking into it. It appears there is 2 Divestment teams in Petawawa and one guy is divesting G-Wagon but I think mostly just Cannibalization and CORCAN so straight to the shredder.

He did told me that when a unit do not hold the vehicles anymore they sell the parts out on GCSurplus as Scrap most likely which makes it hard for potential buyers to try and find specific parts for LSVW,MLVW and HLVW.

Unfortunately, like most are starting to realize Valcartier already did a mass purge of Divested in 2017 and the biggest Army base in Canada is still Petawawa and we started Divestment in 2014. Most in which were sent to the shredder and not sold.
Old 06-06-19, 21:32

We just put 5xLSVW Good Auction Online on GCSurplus. They will be release shortly over the week.

I apologized for those who are waiting for CFR 98113 I am still trying to sort out the paperwork on this truck.

Type western in for sale and you should be able to find these vehicles.

Happy Bidding!