MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 15-03-15, 22:45

Default Canadian Ferrets Cyprus usage

This photo has been sent along by my friend Doug Green who is in the picture.

It is 1966/7 and the one on he right is 54-82502

Some interesting detail points if you blow it up a bit, lets see what you see

Robin
Attached Thumbnails
Doug Cyprus Ferret.jpg  
Old 16-03-15, 00:37
carrier mech

Nothing unusual on them that I can see. They still have the British lights rather than being converted to US M-series, which could be expected this early in their life. They also have the rear view mirror added for the crew commander. They also have the M1919 mounted up top.....depending on the year of the photo, they could be C1 GPMGs.

The CFRs above the windshields seem to have been typical of the Cypress ferrets.

The fire extinguishers look like they are the red 5 pound Ansul but I can't be sure. There was a modification instruction to remove the British extinguisher bottles an install the ansul brackets.
Old 16-03-15, 19:47

Default 1966/67?

Robin,

Are you sure about the time frame? I notice two Corporal's there who were also on my tour in 1988! Front row, right Cpl Clemons (infamous in the Strathconas) was there in my troop as a Sgt. and above him is another Cpl that I recognize but can't think of his name. Pretty sure he was a Sgt or WO in '88.
Old 17-03-15, 00:23

I will pass your comments along

Robin
Old 17-03-15, 00:31

Default Ferret Useage

Other than the fact that the Ferret was no longer used by the CF in 1988, the insignia and OG107 Combat uniforms pin it to the late 1960s,
Old 17-03-15, 01:39
3RD ECHELON WKSP

I think you guys misread Jims comments.
He was alluding to the fact that in his 88 tour these guys were Sgt and WO respectively... not that this pic was from 88
I think thats what he meant.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 17-03-15, 01:51
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45jim View Post
Robin,

Are you sure about the time frame? I notice two Corporal's there who were also on my tour in 1988! Front row, right Cpl Clemons (infamous in the Strathconas) was there in my troop as a Sgt. and above him is another Cpl that I recognize but can't think of his name. Pretty sure he was a Sgt or WO in '88.
I think I ran into Sgt Clemens during a RV in Wainwright one year. Seems to me there was a nickname for him. Combat Clem if I recall?

Rear left almost looks like D Bazin.

Last edited by rob love; 17-03-15 at 03:25.
Old 18-03-15, 03:51

Default Combat Clem

Sorry if my comments were confusing, but I was surprised to see 'ol clem there in the early/mid 60's! I thought he only joined in '68 or so. Does look like Darryl Bazin in the back there but he was a mcpl when I first met him in '85, so pretty sure he isn't a ferret guy either.

As for "combat clem" he was a weird bird when he was in but became infamous after he retired and had the CF pay for his sex change! He/she's now known as Elizabeth, not sure what the queen thinks about that.

The Brits still had a scout car troop equipped with ferrets in '88. I did a two month long exchange over there with them (9/12 lancers IFIRC) and they were pretty handy in the streets of old Nicosia. They were Mk II's with the turrets, i was told they had several dozen in storage down at Akrotiri because the VOR rate was so high.
Old 18-03-15, 04:13
carrier mech

I was there in 89 or 90....long ago enough that I can't remember the date. The ferrets were still there in use with the Brits. One of them hit a landmine going down the same trail they had been down many times before. The blast blew off a wheel station and actually ejected the driver and crew commanders out the top. The crew commander wrote in an article that when he came to he was going to give his driver shit for rolling the ferret, not realizing that they had hit a mine. Both survived.

I have photos of that ferret once it was back in the REME workshop.
Old 21-03-15, 18:01
Centurion nut

Default Fort Garry Horse

Robin,

This is a great photograph. I think I can help with some of the details. All of the soldiers in the photo are wearing Fort Garry Horse shoulder flashes. The FGH organized a 95-man reconnaissance squadron to serve on Op Snow Goose for the October 1966 to April 1967 tour. The squadron accompanied 1RCR. In June, 1970, the FGH (stationed at Sarcee Barracks) was rebadged to the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians).

As for the vehicles, the Ferrets were airlifted and sealifted to Cyprus at the start of the operation in March, 1964, so they would probably reflect what was the vehicle standard at the time. The reconnaissance squadron was deleted from the Canadian contingent after the last one left in October, 1968. The Ferrets were probably shipped back to Canada some time after that.

Cheers,
Dan.