MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 28-10-06, 09:40

Default Diamond T semi trailer

OK guys the thread that i put up for information on the Italian trailer certainly produced some interesting and helpful information,many thanks to all. Now another item that has been bugging me for many years concerns the Diamond T 980/981 tractor converted for semi trailer use by Shelvoke and Drewry in the UK. Over 200 were thus converted some also by Dyson and SMT, i have just over 20 photos of the subject but all are factory or demo shots my question is where in the hell were they used, in all the years in this hobby i have never come across a photo or film shot of them in use either in the UK or europe. Some info i have suggests they were used to ferry new tanks from the factories but still no photographic evidence and according to Bart the RCASC and RCEME were issued with some is there any thing in Canadian archives guys. One of my photos states the vehicle is part of contract 2059 to 2147 88 vehicles in all so you guys with the contract info may be able to help, in one of Bob tucks books there are photos of demobbed units a couple complete and further trailers on Foden heavy tractors i also have some shots of them transporting PW Centurion tanks weighing in at 50 ton, not bad for a 30 ton trailer. All of these civvy units were operated by Crook and Willington, again when and where were they auction off. SO a summery can we between us all find any photo or written evidence of them in military use

thanks
Les
Attached Thumbnails
mlu24.jpg  
Old 28-10-06, 11:00
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Diamond T semi trailer

Quote:
Originally posted by Les Freathy
OK Now another item that has been bugging me for many years concerns the Diamond T 980/981 tractor converted for semi trailer use
Les

Les, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, as I'm not sure if this is a Diamond T. It's an USAAF refueler of some sort. The caption on the picture says it was taken in Libya...however, the tree on the left looks like an evergreen tree. Not having been to Libya, I wouldn't know if that type of tree grows there or not. The taxiway/runway in the foreground is matting suggesting a temporary airfield. Anyone have any thoughts on this pic?

CHIMO!
Attached Thumbnails
libya usaaf refueler.jpg  
Old 28-10-06, 11:30

Sapper your refueler looks more like a Federal tractor unit or similar to me rather then a Diamond T.

Cheers
Cliff
Old 28-10-06, 13:00
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Federal 604

Quote:
Originally posted by cliff
Sapper your refueler looks more like a Federal tractor unit or similar to me rather then a Diamond T.

Cheers
Cliff
Agree Cliff..
Federal 604...
Old 28-10-06, 18:24

Les
According to "Breakdown" by Brian Baxter -
The semi-trailer version was developed as a recovery unit because of a shortage of Scamells. It seems that semi-trailer units were preferred for recovery work and thsat the full trailers were "originally conceived as transporters and it was intended that the tanks should be driven on."
So in theory:
semi-trailer for recovery
full trailer for transport/delivery
I believe that it is known (for certain?) that full trailers were used for recovery but nothing in the book implies the oposite - though it seems that you have some indication that they were.
Noel
Old 28-10-06, 20:57
former Resident Historian

Default Trailers

Les, I will PM you with two shots from 1943, with trailers imported and assembled by LEP Transport Ltd, Goole, one with DTs with both ballast box and without. These were apparently identical to the ones assembled by Pearson's in Liverpool...see your book (although I have copies of others in that collection).
Old 28-10-06, 22:03

Default Re: Trailers

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
Les, I will PM you with two shots from 1943, with trailers imported and assembled by LEP Transport Ltd, Goole, one with DTs with both ballast box and without. These were apparently identical to the ones assembled by Pearson's in Liverpool...see your book (although I have copies of others in that collection).
David why can't you post the photos here so we can all enjoy looking at them?

Cheers
Cliff
Old 29-10-06, 09:06

Thanks for all the help guys but are there any photos out there showing the unit actually in action i cant believe that out of the number produced someone somewhere did not take any beside the factory or demo shots.

The tractor unit under the 4000 gall tanker is a Reo29xs 7.5 ton6x6

cheers everyone

Les
Old 29-10-06, 10:53

Default Previous threads

Already posted:

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...ighlight=Goole

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/sh...ighlight=Goole

I still have no idea about specific details about that huge trailer ... 40 or 60 ton? S/M 6155...not found that one yet!
Old 29-10-06, 11:31

Default S&D

I have to go to Kew some time and see what master contracts files they have. These would be Ministry of Supply ones.
Old 29-10-06, 11:37

Default Nice tread

Yeap nice tread again.
I would also say sappers photo is of a Reo (F1) and not the 604. And the trailer is a 4000 gal type F-1A built by Standard Steel Works for the USAAF.

Chers

Rolf

Last edited by Rolf S. Ask; 29-10-06 at 11:45.
Old 29-10-06, 13:26

Default Or Similiar....

Quote:
Originally posted by Les Freathy
Thanks for all the help guys but are there any photos out there showing the unit actually in action i cant believe that out of the number produced someone somewhere did not take any beside the factory or demo shots.

The tractor unit under the 4000 gall tanker is a Reo29xs 7.5 ton6x6

cheers everyone

Les
Hi Les...
I have the maintenance manual for the Federal 604 and the parts manual for the REO 28 XS and the pictures of the trucks showing 3/4 front shots are identical...
I am not sure of a 29XS Reo...
Or was the Model 28XS REO actually built under Contract demand Canadian,C.D.L.V 332 and badged as Federal 604's...??
These two manuals came from the estate of the original GM civilian parts manager that was overseas with our Canadian troops and was given an honourary Captains commission when he went into Europe right after D day...these were his manuals so they belong together...this is what makes me ask the possibilities...
This is why when Cliff said Federal 604 or similiar ,I agreed...
Can you tell me the difference or post similiar shots to show the difference???
Thanks ...
Old 29-10-06, 19:48
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default truck pic

I shot this in July at a roadstop somewhere in France. This truck was on the Voie de la Liberte convoy. The trailer is a mobile bunkhouse.
Attached Thumbnails
truck.jpg  
Old 29-10-06, 20:19

Default Re: truck pic

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce MacMillan
I shot this in July at a roadstop somewhere in France. This truck was on the Voie de la Liberte convoy. The trailer is a mobile bunkhouse.
Looks like a 980/981 Diamond"T"..Nice truck...
Some summer camper...
Old 29-10-06, 20:23

Hi Bruce

Not seen that one before, its a Diamond T alright but is it a conversion from a tractor or has the owner purchased a cab and chassis and made good use of it by converting to semi. Is it possible that it was an original war time conversion that survived in the scrap yards.
Going on with the Shelvoke question as a large batch were coverted did any end up with in the rebuild of the continental armies directly after the war along with the tractor trailer combination
cheers
Les
Old 29-10-06, 20:34

I forgot to mention one quick way to identify the difference in the Reo and Federal is to look at the bonnet side louvres, the Federal has amuch more prominent frame work incorperated
Les
Old 29-10-06, 21:27
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default re: diamond T

I believe the owner is Didier Willems of the BMVT. Contacting him or Andre Witmeur would get you more info.

Here is another photo lifted from one of the trip blog sites.
Attached Images

Old 31-10-06, 11:12

Hello,

That particular Diamond T is a postwar conversion. I think it has been rebuilt using a normal civilian trailer dish on it.

Cheers,

Dirk