MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 03-11-10, 19:24

Default Replacement spark plugs for the Iltis?

I was told that Bosch plugs # WR7DC could make good replacements for the Iltis plugs.
Now, I found a conversion table that states that NGK plugs # BOR6ES are a suitable substitute for the Bosch ones.
Does anyone have any experience with either type of spark plug as replacement for the ones in the Iltis?
The Iltis runs for a while but when left to idle for a few minutes it just stops and won't re-start until the plugs are cleaned. Then it starts and does the same thing.
The guy who's doing the repairs on my Iltis says it looks like there may have been diesel or some other oil in the fuel. Might a drain-and-clean be the best solution? Or are, as he says, new plugs needed?
I appreciate any and all suggestions and comments.
Pedro
Old 03-11-10, 22:14

If it is a problem of diesel or other contamination in the gas, it would surprise me if a simple change of spark plugs would be enough to cure your trouble
Old 03-11-10, 23:05

Default How new is the gas in the tank?

Hi Pedro-

Normally I would agree with Grant that plugs shouldn't matter that much with minor fuel contamination such as a little diesel or oil in the gas. I commonly run synthetic 2 cycle oil when breaking in a new engine or running one that has set for a long time.

But I have encountered what you are describing on stale gas particularly the stuff with ethanol in it (basically all gas in US) this stuff seems to go stale very quickly 30-60 days and is a particular problem with carbureted engines that are not run regularly.

I've made it a rule with my vehicles never to try and fix a poor running or hard starting problem without putting fresh gas in. Generally I drain the tank in question with a siphon made up of an outboard motor fuel squeeze ball primer with a transparent fuel filter to check for trash and water. Then I dump in a few gallons of really fresh fuel. Amazing how often problem goes away.

Plugs acting like you describe can also be a symptom of a weak spark. Even if you have just check the entire ignition system check it again.

Does the Iltis have a electronic ignition or old style?

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 04-11-10, 00:58

Phil,
It has electronic ignition.
And I concur it does sound like a fuel problem. I'll get him to drain the tank (there isn't much in there anyway) and try again.
I've already found a source for new plugs, won't hurt to put in new ones after all...
Pedro