MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 16-09-11, 02:41
Allan Cameron

Default New NNSH uniform finds

Here are a few more of my pics of latest finds.i'm proud of 'em,so i thought I'd share!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3675.jpg   IMG_3960.jpg   IMG_3966.jpg   IMG_3971.jpg  
Old 25-09-11, 02:26

That's the first MkIII helmet I've seen with a cap badge attached. Did it all come together as one group?
Old 25-09-11, 06:54
Allan Cameron

Default NNSH finds

No,the helmet was a very lucky seperate purchase,but the named grouping I did find (and you see patially in the picture)consists of tunic,pants,greatcoat,dogtags,haversack and glengarry and which also had the ribbon bar in front pocket.In all,a pretty cool find!

He was an "original" North Novie who several of the North Nova Scotia Highlander Veterans (of HQ company) I've interviewed knew back in the day.Pretty cool stuff I think...
Happy,happy...joy,joy!
Old 25-09-11, 13:30

Hi Cammy, Nice find. A couple of questions. Which pattern cap badge is on the tam and glen? The MG pattern or no MG pattern?
What is the naming on the Memorial Cross?
Thanks.
Old 25-09-11, 18:13
Allan Cameron

Default Finds

Hey Bill. The badge on both is the non MG pattern,although I do have one of those in my collection.

I do know he was an original though,checked up on my records/list of the boys who went over on the Orion.

Here is another pic of the Memorial Cross with name,plus a few other pics just for fun..

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
vehicle and  collection pics 010.jpg   vehicle and  collection pics 012.jpg   229.JPG   237.JPG   479.jpg  

Old 25-09-11, 18:23
Allan Cameron

Default a few more pics

Here are a few pics that I took while visiting a North Novie Veteran in NS last July.These items will be going to a museum.As well it should...
:P
I hope you guys don't mind me posting these pics,thought you all would find it interseting.We know it's still out there,and here is the proof!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
011.JPG   434.jpg   429.jpg   430.JPG   432.JPG  

Old 25-09-11, 20:56

Default Keep Up The Good Work

I for one deeply appreciate the job you're doing for the North Novies and by extension, 1NSHighrs.
I've never seen an example of the "Assault Helmet" with a metal capbadge.
Way Cool!
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers

Wayne
Siol Na Fear Fearail
Old 25-09-11, 21:18
GM Fox I

A quick question, perhaps Bill A. can provide some insight as well. I see both NNSH battledress do not have a 'CANADA' flash underneath, nor does the work Canada appear in the title. How come? Was this a unit thing or a more general 3rd Division phenomenon? I ask because I have a Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa battledress that similarly doesn't have the word Canada anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Camerons.jpg  
Old 25-09-11, 21:29
Allan Cameron

Default Thanks

Hey Wayne,I gotta say thanks for that bud! The fact that it is appreciated makes me realize even more Veteran documentation must be done . I enjoy meeting these fellas.I even met the driver of my great uncles carrier(My uncle was the Bren gunner)and was with my uncle the morning of July 25th,the day my great uncle was killed. He told me the whole story right up to ten minutes before he was killed
Before we know it,they will not be with us anymore.See you next time home!

Cheers!
Old 25-09-11, 21:38
Allan Cameron

Default Canada titles

Bruce,I was wondering the same thing.At first I thought it was maybe because it was stripped off,but the battledress with the occupation stripe does not have it either.That is the original battledress of the Veteran I met that day,and he assured me no insignia was stripped off.The great coat I have from the Veteran grouping DOES have the Canada flash though.I'd be interested to know the answer myself.
Cheers!
Old 25-09-11, 23:28

No simple answer. Insignia policies issued during the war repeatedly stressed that CANADA titles were to be worn on tunics where the titles did not clearly indicate the regiment / corps was Canadian. That is certainly the case with the NNSH. When their titles were being designed and approved in 1941 it was noted that they would have to wear the Canada as they were not clearly identified as Canadian. The two other units in the 9 Brigade had CANADA incorporated into the titles.
However, most of the tunics that come into collector's hands today are tunics that were badged at the end of hostilities. During the period after the German surrender, Canadian soldiers turned in the field tunics and had new battledress issued. (Note: Many tunics found today may have 1941, 1942, etc dates stamped in them. That was the manufacture date, not the date of issue. It was quite possible that a 1942 made tunic came out of stores in 1945.) During the "Dutch Summer" the Canadian regiments were stationed in Holland awaiting repatriation to Canada. It was during this time that the fellows had new BD issued, and with that, new insignia. The only authorized insignia for the Canadian Army overseas was printed or canvas titles and patches. These were not popular with the soldiers and they often had stashed in their sewing kits earlier issue melton or privately purchased melton titles. As they were processed for repatriation, the "rules and regs" were not adhered to as firmly, and the supplies of insignia were not always available. Either this fellow didn't have the Canada titles to put up, or he didn't want to put them up. Wearing North Nova titles back in Canada without Canada's was not a big issue, and besides most of the fellows were de-mobilized within weeks upon returning to Canada.
Old 25-09-11, 23:31

Bruce, Are those Cameron titles black or dark blue, and does it appear that the MG may have been removed from the title?
Old 25-09-11, 23:42
Allan Cameron

Default NNSH's

I know on mine,it looks like there is the shading where the Canada flash should be. Made me wonder as well...
Thanks Bill!
Old 26-09-11, 00:40
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Alexander View Post
Bruce, Are those Cameron titles black or dark blue, and does it appear that the MG may have been removed from the title?
Bill, they are printed canvas and are black with gold print. There's no indication anything was cut off. I recall wartime pictures of the Camerons of Ottawa without Canada's, but that could be my fading memory.
Old 26-09-11, 01:03

Hi Bruce, The Camerons of Ottawa went through several designation changes during the war. They were mobilized as an MG battalion, ( thus the title with MG) then they were re-designated a support bn, (no MG on the titles) and then back to an MG unit. There are two patterns of printed title, the one with MG and the one without. I would not try to date the tunic with the actual type of title on it for the same reasons as above. The wartime titles never had Canada on them. Either MG or no MG and both were supposed to wear the worsted Canada.