MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 02-07-12, 13:08

Default Restoration of Hull 731- Carrier, MG (Aust) Mortar Carrying

I have been inspired by others on MLU to document my restoration of my Bren Gun Carrier. It will be a slow restoration as I only get to work on it on the weekends, and then make updates here during the week. Not sure I will be able to match the wit and progress of others, but I just wanted to show others my restoration as I find it interesting what others are doing.

I would appreciate constructive assistance/comment with this, but no red herrings. Happy to respond to PMs to detail/provide more info/pics.

I bought this vehicle from central Australia in late 2000 and it has been in storage since then. At the time it was still painted in a 2 tone camouflage pattern. Over the years I have collected up some of the parts, but we will see as the work progresses as to what I have missed. Most of the parts have been stored at my parents place as I move around frequently.

The vehicle was built/delivered in early Dec 1941 from the Newport Railway Workshops, Victoria and is a LP2, hull number 731.
The AWM record 126, vol 6, indicates that it had engine number 2G19111 and it is ARN 16569.
It is believed that this vehicle was sent to Darwin early on in the war and was used in the defence of Darwin. During this time it was converted to a field modified 3" Mortar Carrier.
The main differences between this vehicle and a standard LP2 is the removal of the internal stowage boxes on the RH side with some small boxes moved to the LH side, brackets welded into the RHR hull for the base plate to be stowed, numerous loops (footman loops) welded to both sides on the inside hull, brackets to the outside of the rear hull sides to mount ammunition covers (similar to the radio covers), handrails in the rear of the hull, brackets on top of the engine cover to mount the bi-pod near the air scoop and brackets in the rear top opening of the cover for the base plate. It was possible for the mortar to be set up on top of the engine cover and fire on the move (although I would not like to try it and I doubt the accuracy). These modifications reduced the amount of Vickers MG ammunition and removed all Lewis MG items.
Some other features of this hull are that it has a rectangular ID plate fitted on the RHF guard between the horn and RH headlight, the air scoop is welded into the hull, most of the exterior mounting blocks for tools etc are round, the rear lift lugs are riveted on as well as the rear hull plate to sides, there are also mufflers fitted with a lower by-pass pipe/outlet.

When it left the factory it was painted in khaki #3, it was spray painted in a sand colour or possible light brown, then it was modified to a Mortar Carrier and brush painted with khaki green to give the final 2 tone camo pattern. This is evident from the levels of rust that have removed the paint, the pattern of the stowage boxes in the paint and the paint brush marks.

The vehicle still has faint markings on the side of the hull (drivers side outer dash area) showing a ?31 in white (possibly the hull number 731), then this has partially been painted over with a black rectangle with "M?? ^ " (the ^is an arrow pointed up). At this stage I do not know what colour the number/markings are, or the arrow. Some other Mortar Carriers (and I know of 4 others) have a ''M'' and number. I think this must indicate what vehicle/position it held.

Reading through a huge amount of unit diaries held by the AWM, I found that the 10/48 Australian Infantry Batt (AIF), while stationed in Darwin during 1942/43 had on charge 7 Mortar Carriers and 21 MG Carriers. Depending on the unit diary writer and what they thought was important then dictates what went into the unit diaries. Some are light on and some have a lot of info regarding unit activities/exercises, PT results, who was sick and AWOL etc.
So there is a fair chance that at some point in time my BGC was used by this unit, so that will be the focus of any markings etc when it is finally restored.
Attached Thumbnails
CCI23062012_00001.jpg   CCI23062012_00002.jpg   CCI23062012_00004.jpg   CCI23062012_00003.jpg  

Last edited by Darrin Wright; 11-11-14 at 03:50.
Old 02-07-12, 13:45

Default The recovery effort

The recovery of this vehicle was a fantastic experience, over 3 days (Easter 2001 I think), myself and now 2 very close friend set off from Darwin with my Pajero 4WD, car trailer (heavy duty- used to cart a small bob cat), 140Lt fuel, tools, blocks & straps, turfor hand winch and camping gear; to central Australia- approx 1400km one way. We left at about 0300hr and headed straight down arriving early evening with the sun still up. Staying at a nearby camp spot. Had tea at the local road house and camped in swags next to the trailer for the night. While having tea found out the local grader driver, who I had organised to push the BGC onto the trailer had gone fishing for the weekend.
In the morning up, had breakfast and adjusted the wheel bearings on the trailer as they had all come loose from the trip down. Also added air to the rear tyres on the 4WD. Went over to the BGC where we emptied out rubbish and junk, hooked up the hand winch and set about winching it onto the trailer. Half an hour later, swapping winching duty with one another, we had it on. Re-packed the BGC with tools etc and strapped it down. We then proceeded out of the bush and onto the dirt track, conducted a quick brake test to check that we had it tied down. Best not to stop suddenly as the whole hull rocked on the trailer. Re-adjusted the straps and bent up the mud guards as they were rubbing on the tyres. We then set off, north on the highway, back to Darwin. Found out we could only sit on approx 75kph. We had plenty of time to get home- 1400km at 75kph.
About 30min into the homeward trip, the car trailer blew its first tyre. Pulled over an put the first spare tyre on. Found that was flat, so put the second spare tyre on. Continued on up the highway. At the first roadhouse, we stopped and bought a new tyre tube and fitted it to the flat tyre. Unfortunately their air compressor did not work, so we set off again. At the next road house we were not allowed to use the air compressor to inflate the tyre, so continued on driving.
Next stop was for lunch (Barrow Ck), this is where we inflated the tyre, bought lunch, had the local donkey or camel steal someone's lunch from the dash of the 4WD. Kept of driving. Great road trip, swapped driving from time to time, heat of the day, windows down talking trucks and cars.
Managed to make Renner Springs at night fall where we stopped for a break, get some tea and check the load. This is where I found the trailer lights did not work, not to worry, I bought a flashing LED light in case we had an accident. Managed to tape this to the rear of the trailer so vehicles coming up behind would see us. Also lost a hub cap off a trailer wheel, cut a coke can in half and taped it over the greasy hole. Set off again towards Darwin.
Driving north in the dark, you see some funny sights, we actually overtook a car. It was driving on the edge of the highway in the dirt verge, with both rear tyres blown out. Made it to New Castle Waters that night and pulled up on the middle of the WW2 airstrip and camped. During the night we were attacked by mosquitoes.
In the morning, packed up and headed up the road to the next road house/pub for breakfast. Big breakfast of Eggs and bacon, having the BGC on the trailer was a good talking point as we got to check out the road house's tip where there were many old cars & trucks. After that we kept on driving back to Darwin. At one of our stops I discovered that the RHF tyre was scrubbing out, so changed that. I think we may have started to bend the axle. Only a couple of hundred more km to go. Later that afternoon we eventually made it back to Darwin where we took the BGC to a storage location and unloaded it. That was the easy bit, undone the straps and a little push and down it went to it's resting place.
In the coming months I washed it out, put it up on blocks and placed a tarp over it.
Attached Thumbnails
JK 10 082.JPG   JK 10 073.JPG   JK 10 096.JPG  

Last edited by Darrin Wright; 02-07-12 at 13:46. Reason: poor spelling
Old 02-07-12, 14:21

Default Timboon hulls

Many years ago I saved a couple of hulls that I had known about since I was a child. I used a tilt tray truck this time and moved both at the same time. Stored them at Miners Rest outside of Ballarat for many years, then due to the property being sold, had to move them in a hurry. So I took all the good parts out of the worst hull and scrapped it, that paid for the other hull to be moved to another friend place near Castlemaine. The pics are of the saved hull, the salt air has really eaten into it, but there are many good parts there. Have to move it home so that I can use it.
Attached Thumbnails
AAB 097.jpg   AAB 100.jpg   AAB 103.jpg  
Old 03-07-12, 09:09
RIP

Default Onya Darrin

A good story start to your restoration. Carriers are still my main passion so anything I can help you with or advise, just yell out.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 03-07-12, 09:45

Default Mortar set up on engine cover

Here is a scanned pic (courtesy Mike Cecil's good books on BGC) showing the mortar set up on the engine cover. You can also see the RH side ammunition cover in place and the wood blocks to secure & locate the tube and bi-pod.
Unusual that the ration box is located in the RHR corner of the hull making the stowage of Vickers MG ammo redundant. My hull has the base plate brackets located there.
Attached Thumbnails
mortar carrier scan.jpg  
Old 03-07-12, 10:12

Love the story, always good to see the bearded Darwin man in the bush.

Easo
Old 08-07-12, 12:53

Default saved from the scrap

Saved a hull from the scrap, SAR #1211 (restangular ID plate behind the RHF headlight bracket), has some good minor fittings in it that will save me time later.
It has painted on the rear section of the hull, behind the LHR muffler "South Australian Railways, Islington".
It is pretty cut up and not much left, but will be sold later when finished with or become my gate guardian under the ghost gum by the mailbox.
Attached Thumbnails
Carriers 020.jpg   Carriers 027.jpg  
Old 08-07-12, 13:13

Hi Darrin, great story. Why would'nt they let you use the compressor to pump up you're tyre. That hull is certainly worthy of a rebuild. Just a good hammer and sharp hacksaw should do it.
Colin.
Old 09-07-12, 04:10

Default use of the air compressor

It was over 10 years ago and I am not sure what the reason was, they may not have liked the look of us or the fact that we were/did not buy anything from them.
I do recall they were not very friendly and we moved on.
Old 09-07-12, 04:33
V.M.V.C Member

Default Mortar

Hey Darrin,
Can you share so more shots of the layout inside for the strorge of mortars?
It sound like the race is on to have another two carriers at Corowa next year.
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 09-07-12, 04:34

Default unpacking the hull

The hull arrived down from Darwin where is has been in storage, to my property, hired a crane truck to lift out the engine cover and both rolls of tracks. Crane cost $85 per hour to do the lifting, luckily I only had it for under an hour. Everthing was placed down onto pallets (which I can pick up easily as businesses do not want them) and I now have a pallet jack, courtesy of Ebay whick would be one of the best items I have bought. So easy to move large & heavy items around when you have a lot of concrete. Will have to invest in a floor crane when the need arises.
Pics from my 2 little helpers- children.
Attached Images

Old 09-07-12, 04:39

Default Time to start the real work

Decided to remove the LHF side section of cut armour as it had a section cut out of it. Utilised 4"cutting discs to cut out the original welds and then finished off with a sledge hammer to knock it out and break the last of the welds.
Attended a car show/picnic with my 'Follow me' GPW Jeep & trailer and the WC-57, met several people that had info and stories about using Dodges on their farms and BGC.
Met an older fellow who used to used blitz trucks for logging, he also said that they wrecked a BGC for its engine and that the tracks were out in the forest where they took them off. He is going to give me a map of their location. Recovery trip for the future.
Old 09-07-12, 04:42

Default forgot to attach the pic

here is a pic of my work after cutting out the armour and knocking it out with the hammer. Certainly makes it easier to get in and out of, so I can see why farmers cut them around a bit.
Also bought some aluminium steps to get in and out of the rear section of the hull, it is a lot of climbing when doing little jobs and removing items.
Attached Thumbnails
May12 193.jpg  
Old 09-07-12, 04:55
V.M.V.C Member

Default steps

Hi Darrin,
I thought you might have made the steeps out of wood?
Pic from AWM
Attached Images

4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 09-07-12, 04:57

Default pic of rear layout

Here is a pic of a friends hull with the hand rails intact and the black square indicated where the mortar base plate would be stowed when not on the rear section of the engine cover.
These handrails are slightly different to mine, these are mafe of flat bar whereas mine are made of 3/8"rod.
The second pic has the black square for the base plate in the rear opening of the engine cover and the 2 yellow circles show where the bi-pod feet would locate.
To either side of the engine cover, behind the air scoop would be the ammunition covers, which I beleive were similar to the radio covers but without the skirt to hang down over the radio by 2-3".
Attached Thumbnails
137_3714 - Copy.jpg   JK 10 096 - Copy.JPG  
Old 16-07-12, 04:01

Default removing hull brackets

After letting all the hull fixtures soak with WD40 for several weeks, started removing vision covers in the front hull. Also removed several clamps and brackets etc.
Have bought new Oxy/Acetylene regulators and hoses as the old ones that I have/had leaked and the hoses were perished.
Picked up a NOS Vickers MG barrel cover, this is the canvas cover that goes up behind the drivers head on the centre bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails
A164.jpg   A165.jpg   M256.JPG  
Old 16-07-12, 04:19

Default chalked out the camoflage pattern

I also spent some time with the camera and chalk, marking out what is left of the 2 tone sand and green pattern of the camoflage pattern. When done, I will finish the vehicle in the same pattern. Will have to find some decent colour samples, may have to visit the Army Museum at Bandiana for a paint code or sample of the sand/brown unless someone has a reference handy.
I have not compared this with the official patterns for vehilce markings/painting from 1941 to 43 yet. Not that important, just curious to see how close or different they were.
Attached Thumbnails
A155.jpg   A156.jpg   A159.jpg   A161.jpg  
Old 16-07-12, 12:24
RIP

Default Paint

Darrin - the two colours are Khaki Green No. 3 and Light Stone. My local Protec Paints reproduces these colours for me, they have the formulas. Let me know if you need any paint and I can organize it for you.

Bob
Old 23-07-12, 11:53

Default weekends work and purchases

On Friday Oxy/ Acetylene bottles arrive from SupaGas.
Removed the smaller hull fixtures and the radiator overflow valve in the air scoop. Removed the drivers floor plate from hull (That was a couple of hours work), held in by several bolts and rust. Floor intact but heavily pitted.
Now I have 2 floor plates to use when manufacturing a new plate.

Visited several garage sales/lawn sales, you never know what you may find. I did buy a stereo for the workshop ($5 outlay with 4 speakers) and also found a flare box that I bought for a massive $6. Got another vice for the workshop, so that will go into the welding bay. Stereo did not work, so in the bin with it, but did keep the speakers.

Bought flash back arrestors after thinking about the volatility of Acetylene gas. Better safe than sorry and the workshop is a timber frame/clad barn. Also bought 2 tyre dollies so that when the suspension is removed the hull will sit down on the dollies and the pallet jack. Should be able to move the hull around the workshop as/when required with the use of the pallet jack.
Old 28-07-12, 09:19

Default Dash unit assemblies

Over the last couple of years I have slowly (and I do mean slowly) put 2 dash assemblies together. It has taken awhile to find and collect original toggle switches, NOS dash warning lights etc. Dad and I had many gauges, so it was a matter of seeing what we had, repairing them with new decals, finding NOS gauges at swap meets and then putting them together. No rush as the vehicle does not need them yet.
I had an original dash board that I copied to make another dash board, an early dash without the switch guard that will go into hull 731.
Just some pics to show my progress.
I came to a stand still with the wiring as I think it will be easier with the dash in the vehicle and a loom to conect to.
I have gone with the gold surrounds with red stripes as I have seen numerous BGC with this in their dash assemblies, not sure if this is 100% correct, but I think at the time they did come like this.
Attached Images

Old 29-07-12, 13:24

Default suspension off, hull down

Using the angle grinder, removed the plate inside the engine rails, at the forward end of the engine bay that hides the tube shaft. This plate was rusted, and having it removed will now let me replace the fuel change over bracket rod. I think this was placed in to the hull and then welded in. In time I will get another plate lazer cut and fit the small metal brackets and leather dust boots.
Commenced to remove the seats in the front, removed all other fittings in the front, now the only items left are the seat mounting blocks welded to the floor. Will have to heat and remove the broken bolts later.
Removed the suspension from the hull and have lowered it down onto the tyre/vehicle dollys with many blocks of wood for support. I found that I can use the 2300kg pallet jack to lift and move the front of the hull and can support it on my jack stands. Have now moved the hull into the welding bay of my workshop. One person can move it around the workshop, two people ensure that it does not run into things causing damage. I now have many pallets around the workshop to store and move items around, finding it very handy. It also keeps the kids amused.
Attached Thumbnails
eng plate.jpg   Darrins Photos 002.jpg   Darrins Photos 003.jpg   Darrins Photos 004.JPG  
Old 29-07-12, 14:02
RIP

Default Carrier Panel Variations

Hi Darrin - interesting and very topical subject with me at the moment. Over the years I have been building these panels with the learning process on a continuous basis. My current version, the brown one, is what I build and that is based on the two images out of a Carrier manual. One of your panels is similar to the 1943 one other than the colour of the fascia plate and striping.

Now why I say this is topical is that a few days ago "Along Came Jones" with a panel variation I hadn't seen, see other image. I was initially hesitant that this was an original configuration but Colin assured me this panel came from an original, uncut and unmodified Carrier. When I broached the subject of the speedometer showing the gear/speed quadrants, my attention was drawn to a small plate on the top left of the cluster holding plate. This plate correlates the speed/gear ratio of the Carrier. I had never seen one of these plates so that was an education. I have yet to see one in the flesh but that is only a matter of time. I see on your holding plate a spot for this small plate.

I cannot now be definite on which is the correct configuration of the cluster. I will stick to the two Manual images unless someone requires something different. The variations obviously depended on the manufacturer and their interpretation of what was required.

I thank Colin for furthering my education and research in this area. Back to the drawing board.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
55%20(640x480)[1].jpg   1941 Carrier Panel.jpg   1943 Carrier Panel.jpg   IMG_8968_sm.jpg  
Old 29-07-12, 23:23

Default speed plate on dash

Hi Bob,
yes the dash had a speed/gear plate on it, I removed it to see the paint underneath and so that it would not get damaged by sandblasting.
The original plate will go back on, I did make some copies of the plate in fiberglass resin, as I will place a copied plate on to my newly made dash. I have several spares in case they gat damaged.
I did try and sell some of the copied plates at Corowa but nobody was interested.
Old 05-08-12, 04:50

Default Saturdays effort

Cut the back panel shelf that holds the stowage boxes on the rear of the hull off with Oxy, now to start grinding the off-cut dags. I removed this as it needs to be replaced, I would take a guess that this vehicle has had a minor rear end accident when in service.
The shelf for the stowage boxes is there and would accept the stowage boxes but it is badly mangled and out of shape. You can also see where it has been re-welded back on to the armour of the rear of the hull and brush painted green.
Removed the last of the little hull brackets and measured the hull mounting blocks in the front of the hull. I think it may be easier to make new mounting blocks and replace them than drill and tapping and trying to re-thread rusted holes. I did manage to get all bar 1 bolt out of the seat mounting blocks, so they will stay, will look at replacing the smaller blocks with the 1/4"holes.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-12, 11:21

Default Sundays efforts

Went to another garage sale and bought another stereo for $30 (CD player works but no radio- awesome sound!), paid a visit to a farm to check out a lead on a BGC engine in a truck.
The truck is owned by a man who is doing a rat-rod and restoring a 1951 Ford truck. He bought the truck for the cabin and the engine but discovered the engine was an early model and of no use to him (he wanted an 8BA engine). This engine turns out to be from a BGC (number 1G6@@@F) and would have fit BGC 471 to 1400ish (assumption from my limited research and notes from the War Memorial). Managed to buy the engine and gearbox. There is a radiator in the tray of the truck, so when I recover the engine I will ask about the radiator as it appears to be from a BGC as well (the stepped lower radiator outlet pipes). Still had dark paint under the grease and grime. Apparently it turns over. Now I have to work out how to recover it with limited lift capability.
Commenced removing the tube/beam axle from the hull, working on the tube/beam rollers first and then on the cast brackets that bolt to the hull.
Attached Thumbnails
J51.jpg   J61.jpg  
Old 05-08-12, 12:32
RIP

Default Engine No. 1G6@@@F

Hi Darrin - my database shows one engine number in that range. It belongs to a Ford Carrier #1824 built under Contract No. MON.62. The engine number was 1G6478F with its ARN as C25649.

Bob
Old 12-08-12, 12:32

Default the strip continues...

Saturday- Day with the family and small jobs around home. Did have a BBQ in the workshop due to the fantastic weather. Minor clean up in workshop. But not much work on the BGC.
Have done a little research in to unit markings and what would have gone where on the hull. More questions than answers, will try and contact the 10/48 Aust Inf Batt unit contact through the South Australian RSL, they may be able to shed so light on what unit markings they had (if any as they may have had "NT Force" markings).

Sunday-Have now managed to cut all bolts that hold the cast plates in that support the tube axle and removed the roller in each, items are like new with good grease in each. Also removed the rollers and clamps that force the tube axle to follow the steering cam plate. They took a lot of heat and hammering. Strange how the rust affects some items and not others. The nuts were totally rusted away with only a very thin part of metal hugging the threads of the bolts.
I did recover a dust seal boot from the LH outer tube axle area, may be able to get that copied and remade so that I can put a new pair on. They appear to be made of sewn leather.
Attached Images

1943 Chev C60L Army Cargo Truck
1941 LP2 VR 731 Bren Gun Carrier 3" Mortar Carrying

Under restoration:
1940 LP1 Bren Gun Carrier
194? 1 Ton Trl Ben Hur
1942 C15A with sunshine cabin

MVPA 31338
Old 13-08-12, 07:37
RIP

Default Carrier Boots

Hi Darrin - I had some made several years ago and have the cardboard templates for the pieces of leather that, when sewn together, becomes a boot. If you want to borrow give me a yell.

Bob
Old 20-08-12, 12:32

Default Engine preped and tube axle removed

During the week rang and organised to recover the engine on the weekend.

Went out to the farm after lunch to prepare the engine for removal from the truck chassis. 1 1/2 hours later in the cold and drizzly rain and all wiring and bolts removed or cut with the oxy. Managed to slide the engine forwards 1/2". All good, unfortunately the farmer has not arranged a floor crane for the lift, so will have to wait until another weekend to lift it out.
The radiator may be from a BGC, it has been recored but the lower tank and outlet pipes are stepped and I think this is a feature of BGC radiators. The overflow pipe goes down the left side just below the top tank. This may have been changed to suit the truck application.

I cut the remaining bolts that hold the roller assembly in for the centre tube axle, then spent another 20min pulling & pushing the axle back and forth to get it out of the hull. Figured out that it is a very tight fit and any grime and rust scale slows it down as it moves through the hull and the casting that holds the rollers. There is approx 1-2mm clearance between the tube axle and the casting. Once cleaned up, out it came.
Attached Images

Under restoration:
194? 1 Ton Trl Ben Hur

MVPA 31338
Old 26-08-12, 12:50

Default Collected the engine

After lunch went out to a farm and collected the engine that I prepared last weekend. The owner had a small workshop crane that we positioned on a ply sheet. Once slung, up and out it came. In the trailer and strapped down.

Asked the farmer if he still required the radiator, after a long thing about it, he threw it in the trailer. Due to all the rain, the paddock was very wet and the car slid around getting into the paddock, now with the extra weight we nearly slid into the fence. The boys loved it as the wheels spun in the mud and cow poo. Somehow managed to stick a small branch through the RHF mudflap and guard of the car- wife will not be happy, I know I'm not.
So on the way home, went via the car wash to clean the mud & poo off the car and trailer.

The pictures show the engine in the trailer with myself and one of my little helpers, the other helper was taking the pictures.
Attached Images

Under restoration:
194? 1 Ton Trl Ben Hur

MVPA 31338