MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 18-12-12, 04:10

Unhappy Passing of a Vancouver Legend

Sorry to say Gentlemen, that one of Vancouver's Legendary figures passed away on Friday Dec 14th, 2012. Captain Arthur Hughes, Veteran of the British and Canadian Armies and a fixture at the corner of Robson and Hornby Streets during Poppy week here, was one of the finest Gentlemen I've met since being in this hobby. His astounding contribution to the Poppy Fund in Canada, remains a legend. For Captain Arthur Hughes held the record for selling the most poppies by a single individual in Canada.
I knew Arthur for the last 8 or 9 years and while downtown for Poppy Week, would often stop by to see him, to see if he wanted a coffee or any assistance. He never let anyone by with out offering them a Poppy. I was so intrigued by this man's devotion to the cause, I had one of the local TV reporters do a story on him, which appeared on the evening news (much to his shock!)
You can read more about Arthur if you go on the internet and click on Globe and Mail British Columbia. Scroll down and you can read his bio.

This will be be one tough street corner to fill. Thank you Arthur......