MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 12-01-04, 23:00

Default Any Ideas?

Hanno

Somebody has just given me this picture.

T16's: can you help me with this one, any idea who, what or where?

Barry
Attached Images

Old 14-01-04, 01:00
In Vino Veritas

Default I Believe...

..Its the Argentine army or Brazil in the 40's.
Sean
Old 14-01-04, 08:26
Rod Shaver

Default T-16"s in Argentina?

Snowtractor,
This picture is pretty small, how can you tell where it was taken? I have recently discovered that many T-16"s were used in India during or just after the war. What do you think?
Old 14-01-04, 09:24
In Vino Veritas

Default Turbins

It , the pic, is almost identical , slightly different angle, to one I have that shows argentinian T16E2'S on parade. HOwever that said, a few spectators in your pic look like they are wearing turbins putting the parade in India's neck of the woods.
Sean
Old 14-01-04, 13:33
British Indian Army

Default Burma

T16s also were used in Burma at the end of the war and even had wading screens fitted.

Nigel
Old 17-01-04, 20:46

Default T16's in Burma

Nigel
Hope your well
Do you have any pictures of T16's in Burma?
Did you recive my letter about the cement works carrier i sent you before Xmas?
If you did please look at the SWB thread as the picture I have posted has the same wheels.
Can you also tell me if you have any records of carrier T167189?
Regards
Barry
Old 18-01-04, 00:50
British Indian Army

Default Re: T16's in Burma

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry Read
Do you have any pictures of T16's in Burma?
Did you recive my letter about the cement works carrier i sent you before Xmas?
If you did please look at the SWB thread as the picture I have posted has the same wheels.
Can you also tell me if you have any records of carrier T167189?
Hi Barry

The only pictures I have are photocopies so quality not brilliant, however I will be getting prints which I will let you see/have if you can hang fire for a wee bit.

Got the pump carrier pictures thanks and will look at SWB thread.
As far as carrier T167189 is concerned I have the following:
It was a 3" Mortar No.1 MkI Carrier built between 17/09/41 and 01/09/42 to contract T/M 5660 by Wolseley which was originally for 1420 Universal Carriers but was altered to 2570 3" Mortar Carriers.

Hope this is new info for you.

Nigel
Old 20-01-04, 13:57
MLU Administrator

Default Re: India

Quote:
Originally posted by G166UC
This picture is pretty small, how can you tell where it was taken? I have recently discovered that many T-16"s were used in India during or just after the war. What do you think?
Rod, would be interested to hear more about your discovery. A friend of mine was in India a couple of years ago. He did not see any WW2 vehicles, but saw loads of T16 "curly spoke" wheels in use as cart wheels.

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
It , the pic, is almost identical , slightly different angle, to one I have that shows argentinian T16E2'S on parade. HOwever that said, a few spectators in your pic look like they are wearing turbins putting the parade in India's neck of the woods.
Here's a pic of Argentinean T16's on parade - note the headgear definitely differs from the style in Barry's picture!

Source: http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/
Old 20-01-04, 15:19
MLU Administrator

Default Indian Army T16's

Just remembered an thread on the Old MLU Forum - Steve Guthrie found a picture of Indian Carriers showing two T16's captured by the Pakistanis in 1971.
Old 21-01-04, 06:11
Rod Shaver

Default Indian T-16"s

Hanno,
First of all, I don"t know if you remember me or not, but we met at Beltring 2 years ago at Nigels camp. Myself and another crazy American owner of a Mk 2 carrier, Russ Morgan had a couple of beers with you while we discussed the differences between the tracks of different carriers. I"ve since discovered that the Swiss T-16s brought back to the States have narrower track because they took the tracks apart and ground off 1/4 inch off the ends of each link. The track links on my carrier {Swiss} are all a hodgepodge of markings and dates. Another track that I have came from a T-16 that was found here in the States, and it is 1/2 inch wider than mine, and every link is marked the same. Why did the Swiss go to all the trouble to grind them all down and put them back together with collars on each link? I guess it made it easier to change and adjust the tracks.
As far as the Indian info I have; There is a company here in the States that bought over a hundred T-16 motors from India about 20 years ago. I bought one last summer. It is definitely a T-16 engine and is still painted Ford Dark Blue, which is the correct color fot wartime 100 horse Mercury flathead engines. By the way, the registration number on my T-16 is TD98990.
Talk to you soon, Rod Shaver
Old 21-01-04, 12:48
MLU Administrator

Default meeting at Beltring

Hi Rod,

Sure I remember you! Good to see you have found this forum.

I knew Russ was at Beltring as he had e-mailed me beforehand, but chances are slim you actually run into each other at the huge Beltring show grounds. I knew he was into Sherman tanks, so I was pleasantly surprised to find myself surrounded by T16 afficionados there and then in Nigel's tent.

Great to hear you have solved that Swiss track query. As the Swiss are at least as thorough as the Germans, it is no surprise they found room for improvement in the track design. Maybe they planned on using them for a long time, so found the modification worthwile.

Nice tidbit about the Indian T-16 motors from India, wish my friend had made some pictures of those wheels he saw over there.

Got to drive T16 s/n 11644 last summer at Beltring. Great experience, now I really want one myself! Bit too busy with work & family these days, and the CMP Ford F15A needs working on it as well.

All for now,
regards,
Hanno

P.S. Could you post some pictures of your T16 on this forum?
Old 05-02-04, 03:50
Rod Shaver

Default My T-16 pictures

Hanno,
I am not set up just yet to be able to send you any pictures of my T-16. I put a new wiring harness in today, so should be able to start it up within a week or so. I"m prettyexcited about it. Only needing the boxes in the rear crew area and a few of the weapon mounting brackets. I"ll bring photos to Beltring this year, so I will be hanging around Nigels area.
Rod Shaver