MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 21-05-12, 04:00

Default early M38A1 markings CFB Chilliwack

Like Mark D I was wondering what the marking should be on this vehicle.
The CFR number 53-32490 is too old to get more infor other than when it was sold etc.
Scotty tried his best...Thanks Scott! Much appreciated. It was puchased in1953 and seemed to not leave the base for another assignment to another Bn.

So it could have been Engineers or Officer school?
It did have a side mounted MG on the Right side.

Gently sanding off the paint layers I can see there were tow paint jobs...the original olive drab semi gloss still in the interior of the glove box and under the hood in places...then the Black green paint over that.
The CFR numbers are on the Black green paint as are the numbers on the front left fender...42-A which seemed to replace 41-C which was under it. These appear on the front left fender front and both sides of the hood/cowl area and are quite clear.
While sanding the right fender I came across flecks of brilliant green paint only on the fron of the right fender. So it was a decal or painted marker.

Any help would be appreaciated
Thanks Casey
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3076.jpg   DSCN3078.jpg  
Old 21-05-12, 05:11
carrier mech

What do you have on this jeep that indicates a side mounted MG? To my knowledge the GPMG mounts came too late for the M38A1CDN.
Old 21-05-12, 17:20

Hi Rob
I am going to guess it would have to be the holes for the side mounted z arm...they are a perfect match to the pattern that was on my other 67 CDN2. This was in service till 1976 until it was disposed of same year.
Since no one did anything to this since it was bought in 1976. I spoke to the original owner he did nothing bought it and let it sit. The sold it to a business who flipped it straight away to a lady who also let it sit in a shed whom I bought it from. I did find a dozen or so spent rounds for that cal gun I found under and next to the fuel tank. Not blanks but spent live round casings.
So any thoughts...?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1686.jpg  
Old 21-05-12, 21:30
carrier mech

The GPMG mount dates to 1975, so it may be possible that one was installed, although the timelines are pretty tight. They were only intended for the armoured militia, yet your call sign of 41 or 42 is a bit high for any armoured recce unit I have run into as it would indicate 4 squadrons of recce.
Old 22-05-12, 01:48

Yes I see what you mean I am wondering who would know more about this vehicle.
Archives show very little if anything of the base and those are tough to get to as they are all back east now in NB...Then there was the fire/flodd that destroyed the doc's for early CFR#'s ...at least that's what i was told...?
Old 23-05-12, 01:09

Default RECCE Call Signs

Rob and Casey

The call signs on the jeep can represent a recce element in any armoured unit as the recce squadron's were all call sign 4, with troops being 41, 42, 43, etc.. The tank troops would have used 1, 2 and 3 for their squadron call signs for A, B and C squadrons respectively.

If it was a reserve unit recce jeep with a partial or complete squadron they would have still used the 4 for recce.

Hope this helps.

Wayne
Old 23-05-12, 01:17

Hey anything that can shed a little light on this helps out!
Thanks for the input on this...Wayne!
Old 23-05-12, 03:04
carrier mech

My memory from the light armoured recce militia days is a bit foggy after this many years, but I do not recall a 4 having been used in the call signs. Mind you, very few of the jeeps would actually get call stencilled signs due to more than a few factors: unreliability of equipment (out of 20+ A1s it was not uncommon to have half or more grounded when the EME came through on their ATIs) and you were never really sure how many guys would show up for a weekend ex.

Other unit's may have followed the doctrine though, so between the GPMG mount and the call sign, you may be a bit closer to having some idea of this jeeps lineage.
Old 23-05-12, 03:30

Default GPMG mount

Hi guys , the GPMG mount was used on some of the 53's , I also owned one that had one installed, this vehicle also had the Norway camo under the last coat of OD , vehicle was ex 1 st Hussars, looking back I wish I had kept that one , vehicle is now under restoration by a OMVA member
regards Frank
Old 23-05-12, 04:05
MUTT Guy

Although it came from Chilliwack, that c/s wouldn't have been used by 1 CER, Engr School, or the DMER Pool.

Something to consider is that almost anything coming from the CFB Chilliwack Base Transport would have likely been used to support the Reserves at some point. That c/s looks like it was done in great haste as well...
Old 23-05-12, 04:24

yes it does look that way and changed as well from 41-C to 42-A the fender pics shows that well.
Old 27-05-12, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneR View Post
Rob and Casey

The call signs on the jeep can represent a recce element in any armoured unit as the recce squadron's were all call sign 4, with troops being 41, 42, 43, etc.. The tank troops would have used 1, 2 and 3 for their squadron call signs for A, B and C squadrons respectively.

If it was a reserve unit recce jeep with a partial or complete squadron they would have still used the 4 for recce.

Hope this helps.

Wayne
That would make it a British Columbia Regiment jeep.
Old 28-05-12, 18:37

Hi Stan the plot thickens eh...? It may well have been a BCR vehicle then posted out to Chilliwack. I will try to see if there are any picks of it in the archives at the drill hall on Beatty St. thanks Stan! Hey love to come by and see the toys sometime...Casey