MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 28-07-16, 17:56

Default Omva milton 2016

Hello to all! As announced/discussed at the OMVA Annual General Meeting earlier this year, the Ontario Military Vehicle Association is inviting all military vehicle owners to come out and display their vehicle(s) at OMVA MILTON 2016 which is being held at the Steam Era event in Milton, Ontario. Whether you are an OMVA member or not, come out for a great weekend of fun, entertainment and the opportunity to meet other MV owners and enthusiasts.

Go to www.steam-era.com for more details about Steam Era and participant requirements.
Attached Thumbnails
OMVA MILTON 2016.jpg  
1943 GM HUA (Project)
1962 Daimler Ferret (Sold)

Last edited by Terry Witiuk; 22-08-16 at 01:09.
Old 28-07-16, 19:41
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Terry
Is anything being done for OMVA Members?
As I understand from the Steam Era website, camping is $60 for the weekend for Steam Club Members, $70 for Visitors (OMVA I assume?) plus a weekend 3 day pass at $25 per family.
Is the OMVA considered to be participants, invitees or simply visitors?
I would think that as a Club, the committee at the Steam Era should have some sort of special pricing / or free passes for the weekend for Members considering the fact that our attendance is an extra attraction for their show.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 28-07-16, 21:46

Default Omva milton 2016

Chris. Have been trying to contact folks at Steam Era to get more details about onsite camping. Will post that info as soon as we get it.
Cheers, Terry.
1943 GM HUA (Project)
Old 28-07-16, 21:49

Default Pics from previous years

Some pics of military vehicles from past Steam Era fairs.
Attached Images

1943 GM HUA (Project)
Old 28-07-16, 21:50

Default More pics

More Pics.
Attached Images

1943 GM HUA (Project)
Old 28-07-16, 21:51

Default More Pics

More Pics.
Attached Images

1943 GM HUA (Project)
Old 29-07-16, 15:50

Default Omva milton 2016

If you are planning or expect to attend with a vehicle, please let us know as we will be preparing OMVA name tags that identify you as the owner of a vehicle(s) on display. As experienced at this year's Aquino event in Oshawa, name tags made it easier for both the public and vehicle owners to communicate. See you there!
Cheers, Terry.
1943 GM HUA (Project)

Last edited by Terry Witiuk; 30-07-16 at 15:41.
Old 31-07-16, 00:40

If you arrive with a display vehicle will be not pay to get it. I would visit the steam show website for camping info and camping registration ASAP . In the future perhaps we could set up special pricing for local hotels if requested.
Les...

Last edited by Les Fisher; 31-07-16 at 04:42.
Old 31-07-16, 03:29
3RD ECHELON WKSP

So really then, the OMVA Fall Show is really just a bunch of guests of the Steam Era Show. Not really any different than private individuals who want to display their antique car, truck, tractor etc. It would be great if in the future the Club can work together with their show to make sure that Members get preferred pricing no different than Members of the Steam Club would have.
So the question is, does a OMVA Member deal with the OMVA to register as an attendee/display/camper or does one revert to the Steam Show people for registration???

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 31-07-16, 04:29

Well Chris the real problem is that we as a club have some limitations that makes it very difficult to have a stand alone event. This is the same problem car clubs and other military vehicle clubs would struggle with throughout Ontario. I suspect the reason why they allow us and others to attend no charge to the steam show is that antique tractor and farm equipment collectors have the same struggle. The steam show has a different focus year to year. When the steam show is focused on the OMVA we will enjoy the spot light a little more. Not just a guest as you call it. I prefer to not put a name to why we are allowed and just be happy with the fact that we have a deticated part of the grounds. The OMVA hasn't had a fall event with judging or any event like this for some time. With the Coe Hill event, which wasn't an OMVA event, being cancelled this is the next best thing. We have had MV's at the steam show before so I thought this could be a great event and location for us to grow for the next few years. I strongly encourage you and other's to drive, tow or drag your finished or even the unfinished MV's out to the event. I hope to see you there. To answer your question , just come out, no need to register accept for camping. If you and others can come, then just reply that you will attend, that would be fine. Cheers
les...

Last edited by Les Fisher; 08-08-16 at 19:56.
Old 31-07-16, 04:40

We are going to have three judging classes at the OMVA Milton 2016 event. Best of show, best armoured and best soft skin. There is at least one other class to win, but that along with who the three judges will be, will be kept to myself for now. Any suggestions are welcome !

Last edited by Les Fisher; 31-07-16 at 14:36.
Old 31-07-16, 16:25
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Les, I will do my best to be in attendance. Regards, C

1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,

Old 31-07-16, 19:19

Default Update - OMVA MILTON 2016

OMVA MILTON 2016 Update.

•Although the deadline to register for on-site camping was July 15th, there is still an opportunity to arrange for this if you want. The Steam-Era member rate of $60/night is what is being extended to us. Please contact Wayne Fisher at 905-878-3114 (519-740-7185 alternate) to discuss/arrange your camping/space needs. As the deadline has passed, this should be done as soon as possible. Wayne is one of the Steam-Era folks. Please let Wayne know that you will be there as an OMVA military vehicle exhibitor.
•Those who attend/exhibit with a vehicle will get free admission for two, driver & passenger.
•There will be a requirement to register with the Steam-Era folks upon arrival and proof of liability insurance ($1M) will be required whether your vehicle is licensed for road use or not. This is the same requirement for those with tractors, steam engines or classic cars.
•We (OMVA) will be providing name tags to those who attend/exhibit. If you know that you will be attending, please contact me so that I can prepare your tag(s) in advance. We will also prepare blank vehicle information cards that can be filled out on site and attached to your vehicle so the public can read about and better understand vehicles on display.
•There is no expectation that you attend/exhibit all four days however exhibiting/attending for only part of one day is frowned upon and not recommended. If you can only attend/exhibit one day, please try to be there for the full day. Event hours are Friday 12 to 6pm, Sat/Sun 9am to 8pm & Monday 9am to 4pm.
•There will be parades/grand stand drive pasts each day and the folks at Steam-Era very much want us to participate. Vehicles will be announced/described as you drive past the grand stand. Parades are 4 to 5pm each day.
•OMVA is participating as an exhibitor/special interest vehicle group.

Look forward to seeing everyone there. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Cheers, Terry.
1943 GM HUA (Project)

Last edited by Terry Witiuk; 24-08-16 at 18:01.
Old 31-07-16, 20:16

Default Welcome from the OSAPA

Hello all,
I've been lurking in the background for a couple of years, ever since I bought an Iltis and attended the Tulip Festival in Ottawa back in 2013. I am involved with the Board of Steam-Era and would like to formally offer a heart felt welcome to the OMVA. Military vehicles have been on display in some form or other at all of the 56 Steam-Eras I have attended. We have a "Big Tent" and it allows for the everyone to participate. Military Vehicles were featured at the 54th Steam-Era in 2014. This was the first year that we had used Country Heritage Park as our venue and since we now have more room it just allows us to do more.
Steam-Era is put on by the "Steam and Antique Preservers Association" we are a not for profit dedicated to "To promote the preservation, perpetuation, restoration and renovation of articles, vehicles and machines of
Canadian Agricultural Heritage". With the huge influx of people to the GTA and other urban areas, this has turned into more of an educational mission. Most of the people that attend Steam-Era will never see or have never seen a steam engine, or actually see threshing, binding and stooking wool spinning and many other activities that were a part of daily life only a generation before. We want to provide a window to our Canadian Heritage and with this in mind we are delighted that the OMVA can come in a more formal role this year.
Of course this is a work in progress, but the possibilities are endless. For the last couple of years we have had approximately 8000 people go through the grounds over the weekend so please reach out and help aquatint new Canadians with the our history and perhaps "reacquaint" some of our younger people with the history and national heritage that they may not have learned very well in school.

Have Fun
Frazer

P.S.
Our regular members receive two passes as well. Other non-members that come in of the street to exhibit are only given one. The difference in camping fees may be something that we can look into going froward, but this close to the show it may cause some "political" problems to change that now.
Also the club has a members Chicken BBQ on the Sunday night. Any OMVA members are welcome to attend. The BBQ is done at cost and will be $15 for advanced tickets and $18 at the door. The walk in tickets will be very limited, so please call or email Courtney McIsaac to order tickets now (289) 839-2454 courtneymcisaac@hotmail.com . We would like to order the chicken in a couple of weeks (last year had way to much left over)
Old 17-08-16, 04:22

Default OMVA MILTON 2016 - Update

Some more info.
  • OMVA will take care of registering military vehicle exhibitors as they arrive. Driving/towing a military vehicle will be sufficient identification to get you through the gate. Registration will take place at our display area and not at the gate. Proof of liability insurance is a must whether it be vehicle insurance for licenced vehicle or home insurance for a non licenced vehicle.
  • Secondary entrance, just a hundred feet or so to the south of the main visitor entrance is where we gain access to the park.
  • No open selling or vending of parts in our display area without paying a vendor fee and only military vehicle parts/militaria allowed in our area. There is another designated area for other antique type items. This fee is paid to Steam-Era and applies to all vendors. No "For Sale" signs on vehicles. Okay to have a discrete discussion with a potential buyer but no signs.
  • Camping next to your vehicle. This would be allowed if tent is military and looks as though it belongs with our display but discretion must be used with regards to conduct and behavior as the public does arrive early/leave later in the day. There are designated camping areas, some with service and some without. Camping in these areas would be preferred. There is a showering facility. Contact me if this is of interest.
  • There is on site security during the weekend.
  • Participating in the parades on Friday and Monday would be great and the Steam Era folks would very much appreciate this.
  • There will be food vendors and a "refreshment" tent.
1943 GM HUA (Project)

Last edited by Terry Witiuk; 18-08-16 at 03:16.
Old 24-08-16, 15:49

Default Update - OMVA MILTON 2016

There will be vehicle parades each day, 4 to 5pm. The Steam-Era folks look forward to our participation.

If your plans include displaying your vehicle on Sunday September 4th, there will be a chicken dinner for Steam-Era/Ontario Steam & Antique Preservers Association (OSAPA) members at 5:30pm. We have been invited to enjoy the tasty chicken but tickets for this must be ordered/purchased in advance. Cost is $15 if ordered/paid in advance. There will be a limited number of diners available for purchase at the event. The cost will be $18 and again, very limited. Please contact Courtney at 289 839-2454 or courtneymcisaac@hotmail.com to reserve/purchase a meal. Frankie and The Fairlanes will be playing 50's/60's music after that, starting at 7pm.
Attached Thumbnails
SEshow.1.jpg  
1943 GM HUA (Project)

Last edited by Terry Witiuk; 25-08-16 at 18:55.
Old 24-08-16, 22:51
Brian Asbury

I plan to enjoy three days at Steam Era: bringing a bunch of vehicles plus a large modular tent for rain/sun cover and base-of-operations for OMVA. It is a very relaxed atmosphere with a steady but manageable stream of interested spectators curious about our vehicles. I also have a special jeep on display for kids to play in and get their pictures taken: very popular. If you attend be sure to allow at least a half day to see all of the Steam Era displays ... Brian
Old 29-08-16, 18:05

It just so happens that I'll be in the Niagara, GTA area over the long weekend and REALLY HOPE to get by to meet you folks and see the display. Look for the guy with the PO'd wife and daughter in tow
1951 PE-95K Gen Set
MVPA
Cdn Forces 1986-2006
Old 06-09-16, 03:56

My wife and I made it to the show for the first time and I thought it was a pretty good turn out. It was nice to see some vehicles that I don't get to see out my way. We had a great time.
1943 Chev M6 Bomb Truck
1942 Slat Grill MB
1952 M38 x2
1955 GMC M215
1955 M38A1x2
Old 11-09-16, 14:34

Default Omva milton 2016

Some pictures from the event. More pics posted on the other thread in the OMVA section of the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
mil.15.jpg   mil.16.jpg   mil.17.jpg   mil.18.jpg  
1943 GM HUA (Project)
Old 11-09-16, 14:36

Default Omva milton 2016

A few more pics. Can hardly wait till next year!
Attached Thumbnails
mil.19.jpg   mil.20.jpg   mil.21.jpg  
1943 GM HUA (Project)