MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 25-04-04, 00:04
Vets Dottir

Cool Most Online November Record Topped!

I've been having fun nipping in and out of MLU this afternoon just to if Novembers "Most Online" record would be topped today... well it was topped at 16:43 today with 63 online. That calls for a group light-up in celebration. You non-smokers BTW yah don't need a cigarette to flick a Bic That would do.
Old 25-04-04, 00:33
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default :-)

I am, to say the least, gratified, that all this means something to people all over the world.

G.
Old 25-04-04, 01:36
Vets Dottir

Default Re: :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
I am, to say the least, gratified, that all this means something to people all over the world.

G.

That should put the SUN in your ray today ... YAPS
Old 25-04-04, 05:59
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Where were the Aussies?

Today being Anzac Day, April 25th the Aussies and Kiwis on this forum would have had an early start to get themselves and vehicles ready for the parade. Even though that was earlier today, many would still be in RSL clubs and pubs having a few and maybe a or followed by a big win in the two-up games.
Today we remember them, for in the morning we won't remember much of today at all
Old 25-04-04, 07:28
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Where were the Aussies?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
Today being Anzac Day, April 25th the Aussies and Kiwis on this forum would have had an early start to get themselves and vehicles ready for the parade. Even though that was earlier today, many would still be in RSL clubs and pubs having a few and maybe a or followed by a big win in the two-up games.
Today we remember them, for in the morning we won't remember much of today at all
Hi Tony ... I'm trying to recall what ANZAC DAY is all about .... I THINK that SOMEWHERE in this forum is a thread about it?

Carman
Old 25-04-04, 17:07
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Anzac Day

.. commemorates the day, 25th April 1915, when members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (The ANZACs!) landed on Gallipoli peninsula, Turkey, and over several months, despite bravery, courage and good humour, saw the demise of too many good mates.
Since then, it has become a day in which not to celebrate war and destruction but to celebrate those good qualities which appear in comrades in adverse conditions and remember friends lost in war and the sacrifices made on our behalf. It has also developed into day in which to celebrate "Australianess".
Of all of the Australian Public Holiday weekends, it is the one which still is widely observed for it's original purpose, that is, Christmas is all about shopping for presents, Easter is for chocolate eggs and who knows the Labour Day weekend is about. It is the one day of the year that my vehicles are made available for the unrestricted use by Old Diggers, but most are too unselfish to accept a ride.
The day traditionally starts with with a dawn ceremony in all capital cities and most regional towns, too. This is a very sombre and decorous service, and usually attended by the "true believers". Later in the morning there are marches and parades, but with much bigger turnouts and a more lively feel. The afternoons are when groups of Ex-Servicemen will disperse to various pubs and clubs to recount good times and war stories over, well, we'll say a beer or two. It is surprising how a group of 80 year olds can get together again and handle their alcohol like they were 20 year olds. More power to their arms, I say!
We still observe rememberance day in November, but Anzac is all that and much more.
Old 25-04-04, 18:03
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Happy ANZAC Day!

More power to you, mates. I wish we had the equivalent.

Have one on me.

Old 25-04-04, 20:59
Richard Notton

Default Re: Anzac Day

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Smith
.. commemorates the day, 25th April 1915, when members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (The ANZACs!) landed on Gallipoli peninsula, Turkey, and over several months, despite bravery, courage and good humour, saw the demise of too many good mates.
Yes indeed, I had made a mental note to mention it but you all have beat me to it.

Lets not forget who was the main instigator and driving force of this whole sorry saga who had the First Sea Lord (Jackie Fisher)sacked for opposing him and then, when it all went to rats as the experienced commanders had always said it would, was subsequently relieved of his post.

A bit of distancing (spin) and subsequent developments tended to sweep this example of incompetence and arrogance under the carpet.

Like to have a stab at the (famous) name, Venerable-Dame of Manitoba?

R.
Old 25-04-04, 23:33
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: Happy ANZAC Day!

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
More power to you, mates. I wish we had the equivalent.

Have one on me.

Speaking of ANZAC Day, have a look at this thread

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 26-04-04, 03:37
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Happy ANZAC Day!

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Speaking of ANZAC Day, have a look at this thread
Wow and WICKED Keith. I checked out the link and photos.

Am I EVER glad I askd about ANZAC DAy and I thank ALL your input!

Regards "name that instigator" ... sorry ...
haven't a clue...but I'll bet a lot of others in here know?

I've had anamazing day in total. I got a photo of my Uncle ... HURRAH ... as soon as I scan and savee to disk,Ican upload to the forum,orhave someone do that for me. YES it was the SAME image as I remember from early childhood.

ANZAC DAY ... what a wonderful celebration to do.

Lest We Forget

Carman
Old 26-04-04, 09:56
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Happy ANZAC Day!

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
[B]Wow and WICKED Keith. I checked out the link and photos.

Am I EVER glad I askd about ANZAC DAy and I thank ALL your input!
And I'm glad too, brilliant pictures. I'm not sure about "wicked" though, bit of a hijacked modernist usage, but I know what you mean. Of course it passes here with only a flicker of official and media attention, which is rather shameful.

Keith's reference to the proud leading scout touched an open nerve since it recalled the tirade of complaint from a young-middle age mother printed in our parish magazine. She took exception to the scouts parading and attending the church Rememberance Sunday service in uniform and got within an ace of calling them the new age Hitler Youth.

It beggars belief.

Quote:
Regards "name that instigator" ... sorry ...
haven't a clue...but I'll bet a lot of others in here know?
Well, I wonder if a lot of the others do, since history tends to smooth it over and we are famous for making defeats glorious.

It might cause a serious intake of breath in far flung places but the carnage of this debacle lies squarely with the arrogance, incompetance and downright bad planning of one person alone.

Winston Churchill.

Fortunately he did a bit better somewhat later on.

Quote:
I've had anamazing day in total. I got a photo of my Uncle ... HURRAH ... as soon as I scan and savee to disk,Ican upload to the forum,orhave someone do that for me. YES it was the SAME image as I remember from early childhood.
Great stuff, I look forwards to it.

Quote:
ANZAC DAY ... what a wonderful celebration to do.
Yes it is.

Quote:
Lest We Forget
Lest we forget indeed the vast contributions of men in two wars from the "Dominions", places that really had no direct connection or reason to be here, but happily sent their best young men by the ship load. Only a proportion were subsequently returned and of those a great deal were badly damaged.

It does not sit too well with the subsequent shameful, unwarranted and shabby treatment meted out from here in the later part of the 20th century. The political machine has a conveniently short memory when it suits them.

R.
Old 26-04-04, 11:56
RIP

Default Anzac Day Adelaide

Hi all
We also had a wonderful day in Adelaide. I won't post pictures as Keefys represent the typical parades. Our members and an affiliated club supplied 38 vehicles for the parade. After that we provided seven Jeeps to transport ex. WWII POWs and members of the 2nd/3rd Machine Gun Btn to the traditional Anzac Day football (Aussie Rules) match. Then today we provided another 6 vehicles to transport ex. WWII Diggers who went on to play Aussie Rules after the War to another football match. On both occasions we did a lap of honour in these vehicles to parade the Diggers. I felt proud enough but even more so as I was wearing my late Father's ribbons, so he was there as well.
Bob
Old 26-04-04, 21:13
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Re: Anzac Day Adelaide

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Moseley
I won't post pictures as Keefys represent the typical parades.
Bob
Onya, Bob
C'mon, post away - I for one would like to see them - if you don't want to clutter Jif's server you can send them to me and I'll put them up.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 26-04-04, 21:37
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Anzac Day Adelaide

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb