MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 09-01-17, 14:53
Mr. HUP

Default 2017 at the Hammond Barn

Now that I've dusted off my brain, it's time to catch up on MLU! Welcome to 2017! I attribute this late posting to the New Year's Challenge - our first posting in the New Year. I am sure that the news about Phil Waterman's ailments also distracted us. We all hope you are recovering with all speed, Phil.

As mentioned in another thread, Bob and I had a New Year's Day ride in the large field. Dashing through the snow with our "classic" military trucks was fun and invigorating. We definitely want to take more excursions with our trucks in all weather conditions.

The aim this year is to have at least three CMPs on the road for a series of convoys in and around Hammond and in the region. We will keep you posted on our progress - which for some reason draws interest on this forum...

So, on behalf of Bob Carriere (our fearless leader), Grant Bowker (our walking encyclopedia) and yours truly, Rob Clarke (the boy wonder), Happy New Year and safe driving to all of our followers.
Old 10-01-17, 04:48

Default We braved the cold.....

'Twas -26C early this AM........ was -22C at 10:30 when I lite Lucifer.....

........ twas so cold..... I had to warm up the wooden matches in my hands before I could light them..... then the smoke was so cold it was packing up in the chimney.

Nonetheless, Grant and I set out to finish the modification to an Industrial sewing machine. The machine is a "walking foot" Singer 211G156. It came with a 3500 rpm motor that requires much skill and practice to sew s-l-o-w-l-y that the first time I tries a short piece of canvass it took off the sewing table and embedded itself in the plywood wall covering of the barn.

First move was to change the motor for a 1750 rpm which reduced its velocity to half but still exceeded my abilities..... so we designed a jack shaft which now looks like the pictures attached. First I scored a 1.5 inch pulley for the motor in 15mm shaft size......... belted to a 5 inch pulley twinned to a 2 inch pulley that drives the 3 inch pulley on the sewing head....

We basically researched EBay for ready made speed reducer at $160 US dollars and with several model in mind adapted to what material and pillow blocks we had..... final results is around 350 rpm flat out with lots of torque while slipping the clutch at lower speed. It will be slow and I can speed it up by using larger pulleys on the motor if I ever become proficient at the sewing skills.

I am not new to sewing as I grew up with a grandmother who insisted that I learn how to sew n an old threadle Singer machine. In fact I help my wife sew a pair of PIAZZO pants on Sunday for when she goes to Mexico.

The first pictures are not set up ONLY for viewing in Australia.... we simply inverted the whole table on the workbench for ease of access.

I have not done any actual sewing on it yet as we ran out of time but it worked fine and is as designed.....slow and very manageable.

Next I need to make patterns from worn out CMP seats covers and try our hands at using a heavy weight unbleached white canvass...... then debug and move on to real OD fabric. I do have a set of NOS covers from Dirk but would prefer to keep them as such and use repros for everyday use. I also have to remove the dried up Monsanto clear windows from my NOS side windows and replace the plastic with modern clear vinyl.

Well by the time the afternoon rolled over it was a balmy 55F in the barn.... sad to let the fire die out but happy to go in the house where it is nice and warm.

Cheers

PS... once we finish making frilly skirts, I need to work on the roof.... removing the dings, holes and reskinning the bottom half of the top rear panel and then reproduce the 2B1 box.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04251cropresized.jpg (244.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04254cropresized.jpg (250.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04261crop resized.jpg (257.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04256cropresized.jpg (251.5 KB, 2 views)
Canada
Old 07-02-17, 04:59

Default More serious CMP work......

Well we dug up the top of my cab 11 and as much as it is the best I have to work with it has a lot of twist, bumps and holes from former roof lights. Will be designing a jig to hold it steady while we replace the bottom 10 inches back section of the cab vertical section. Will need to refine my butt weld techniques to produce a seamless connection/joint. Will record our experience and post accordingly.

Grant and I were distracted today trying to reproduce the grill guards for his 19 set. I know the odd grill comes up for sale every once in a while and now appreciate better why the asking price is high.

Cheers
Canada
Old 07-02-17, 19:59
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Barn 2017

Really enjoying your posts as I'm sure a lot of others are as well. The coldness of your Canadian winters is almost impossible to imagine to most of my countrymen here in Australia - I see minus 26 a couple of weeks ago... we're going for a top of plus 35C here today!

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the Cab 11 roof.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 07-02-17, 20:44

Default Some days it's really cold........

Had to split the Massey in two lasy week to replace the PTO clutch.......

......was so cold one morning..... when I entered the barn I could hear metalic noise coming from the tool chest..... at first I though it might be squirrels.... but to my surprise when opened a drawer...... the pliers were all huddled in a corner and their jaws chattering loudly........
\
Some days it gets so cold...so cold that we have frost on MicroSoft's Windows.

Once Lucifer gets fired up we can get it up to a balmy 60 degrees F and even see the odd pet mosquitoe that flys around.......

Stay tuned for some before pictures......

Cheers
Canada
Old 07-02-17, 21:35
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Really enjoying your posts as I'm sure a lot of others are as well. The coldness of your Canadian winters is almost impossible to imagine to most of my countrymen here in Australia - I see minus 26 a couple of weeks ago... we're going for a top of plus 35C here today!

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the Cab 11 roof.
The impressive thing is how productive we can be in spite of the wretched weather. I'm reading a story by a modern day explorer who canoed down a never-before recorded river in Northern Ontario. It was too isolated and black fly infested for normal people to attempt, and because it lies across the Ontario/Quebec border, I presume every surveyor expected it had been done by someone else.

We cannot imagine living in such abject dryness or in a place where everything either wants to sting you or start a fistfight. (The Youtube video of the fellow right jab punching the buck kangaroo got everyone's attention here!)

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 07-02-17, 23:17
carrier mech

Personally I have just about had it with winters, and in particular this one.

With the limitations being put on immigration into the US right now, it seems Manitoba is experiencing a bit of a migration from the US. The news reported that Manitoba had 22 refugees sneak across the border on the weekend alone and had this quote from one refugee:

Quote:
"Farhan Ahmed says he couldn't feel his fingers or his toes as he walked about 12 kilometres along a road."
Get used to that Farhan...that is life in Manitoba. Heck, it was only -20°C out....what is he going to do when it gets cold out.

Last edited by rob love; 08-02-17 at 03:21.