MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 25-12-11, 10:23

Default WW1 mystery Australian unit marking

I was looking through a few photos of WW1 Australian Vehicles and found this one from the Mortlock Library in South Australia of an ambulance and crew in 1916. I am assuming in Europe but am not sure of the exact area the photo was taken. Just behind the door opening there is two unit markings. I cannot make out the top one but the lower one appears to be a Swastika over a Boomerang!

Can anyone shed any information on this for me please?
Attached Images

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 25-12-11, 10:49

Hi Cliff,

If you look at the symbol, it is a reverse of a swastika, sometimes known as a sauvastika. It can be seen on some old buildings in Sydney NSW, which predate the use of the swastika by Germany, and were known as a fylfot. Plenty more research for you there!

Happy Christmas,
Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 25-12-11, 12:23

Cliff,

The top one is almost certainly the division sign.

They were all the same: just a thin "Rising Sun" with the division number in the centre. I can't read the number but somebody may be able to. The ANZAC Corps had a Kiwi Silver Fern inside the rising sun with the division number.

The swastika sign goes back to antiquity being found throughout the ages from the Egyptians, through the Greeks to modern times. American Indians and the Incas particularly liked the design. It has been used facing left or right, square or on its corner as well as in running patterns such as borders on cloth.

The most notable military use of course is the symbol that Finland used on their aircraft (facing the other way to the Germans and in light blue) long before the NAZI party was thought of. This came from the family heraldry of the infant Finnish Air Force's main benefactor. There was a short period when aircraft both carrying the Swastika fought each other before reluctantly joining to fight the common Russian enemy.
Attached Thumbnails
Finnish Air Force.jpg