MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 01-12-11, 15:37
Dan Glanville

Default 1950s M series black out switch

Can anyone tell me if the M series main light switch can be operated under 12volt systems. I understand that the late model switch assembly had the circuit breaker inside and unsure if it works under 12v. I have a M135 that has unfortunately been converted to 12 volt. All lights work with 12 volt bulbs but the switch was bypassed with a toggle. I would like to return to original switch. I can get test light to power in and out but doesn't seem to operate lights. Any help would be great.
Old 01-12-11, 21:00
carrier mech

Yes, the 24 volt switch will work on 12 volts, and the breaker will still open at exactly the same amperage if necessary.

The same switch is also available in 12 volt and is stamped as such on the back, although I have run into plenty of these installed on 24 volt vehicles over the years. They were meant for the 1976 5/4 ton chevs.

If you are having trouble getting power to the pin for the headlights, make sure the lower left switch handle is not set to "park". It will cancel off the headlights and instead light up the four corner park lamps.
Old 02-12-11, 03:53
Dan Glanville

Thanks for the tid bits. Just found out that the lever switches are gummed up. Since it hasn't been used for so long the white lube used when assembled became hard and stops contact. Have power coming to several of the pins but still have some work to do.
Thanks