MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 28-01-16, 07:14
Dave Good

Default Fire Extinguisher Mounts

As I am getting closer to finishing my fabrication on the carrier I am at the point of the fire extinguisher brackets and need to make one or two of them.

With my carrier I got two types of the brackets for the MK1 carrier. First is CTL13303 which is a flat plate that bolts to the upper deck of the engine and the extinguisher mount screws to it. The second is CTL13276 and is bent down at both ends, But this bracket is NOT listed in the parts book . If I hold it up to the drivers side mounting holes with the extinguisher mount it seems to work there but I have seen some pictures that the bracket instead of being bent down at both ends it curves back around and bolts in behind the bracket.

Does anyone have a good clear picture or pictures of this bracket and the measurements so that I could make a couple, PLEASE

Also the CTL13276 bracket will not work on the gunners side front as the extinguisher mounts to low and hits the mudgard, But the other style bracket with the curve back seems to mount the extinguisher higher.

Another thing I noticed is that the mounting pattern of the brackets and extinguisher mounts are different, the 6 screw holes the rear deck mounts are longer than the front mount. Just found that interesting as looking at the fire extinguishers I picked up for it 2 had the longer screw mounts and one had the shorter pattern which fits the CTL13276 bracket, see pictures. I believe the one picture is of Jordens carrier
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0022.jpg   DSC_0023.jpg   DSC_0024.jpg   DSC_0025.jpg   pyrene01.jpg  

Old 28-01-16, 13:20
AKA Rick Wedlock

my carrier still has the original gunners side bracket fitted and it uses the mount with the bent ends. it mounts at the back end of the folding armour plate. it is fixed with 2 dome head screws
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20160128_12_07_03_Pro.jpg   WP_20160128_12_07_28_Pro.jpg  
1942 Mk1* Carrier
1943 T16 Carrier
1945 Mk3 Dingo
1941 Mk3 Covenanter
1941 Mk4 Churchill AVRE (now sold)
1944 Mk6 Cromwell (now sold)
1952 Mk3 Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1953 Mk3 Centurion (breaking)
Old 29-01-16, 06:46
Dave Good

Interesting picture, I see the extinguisher mount sits high on the bracket in order to fit that location. I took a couple more picture of my mount showing it in both locations and that it fits the driver side division wall but not the gunners plate. Another observation I made of my mount is that it will only go one way and only the drivers position as it has two different hole sizes to mount it, top hole is 3/8 and the lower hole is 5/16 also the bent part has an 1/8 offset in the step at the top because of the angle to keep it level (see pics)
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0001.jpg   DSC_0003.jpg   DSC_0004.jpg  
Old 01-02-16, 05:12
Dave Good

IS there no one out there that has a MK1 carrier with fire extinguishers mounted up front ??????? I have made a simple drawing of it and if someone could PLEASE see if they have an original bracket that they can get me the measurements to especially the gunner side:

A
B
C
D
E
F

Also I have seen a couple pictures with the reverse bend at the top and some at the bottom, Which end is up ??
Attached Thumbnails
Fire Extinguisher Bracket.jpg  
Old 01-02-16, 06:48
carrier mech

Dave

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow after work. I may even have them at work....I'll check there too.
Old 01-02-16, 07:06
Dave Good

Thanks, Appreciate it
Old 01-02-16, 08:46
Bluebell

Dave, I have a CTL13276 bracket, which is the same both ends.
Let me know if you need info.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 01-02-16, 18:21
carrier mech

Here are some photos of two of the similar brackets. One has the extinguisher mount quite low, and one has it high. The screw holes in the back are different and match the brackets.

I have not taken these apart yet for sandblasting, but the high mounted one fits fine in the gunners position. Only problem is on the 2VP carrier I am working on, it is a mix of mk1 armour on a mk2 hull. I have to drill the hole through the angle iron yet for the bracket. Luckily it is through the armour (since the armour is mk1).
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00183resized.jpg   DSC00184resized.jpg   DSC00185resize.jpg  
Old 01-02-16, 19:20
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eades View Post
Dave, I have a CTL13276 bracket, which is the same both ends.
Let me know if you need info.
Thanks for the offer Lynn, But I have that bracket as you see in the above pictures. It was the gunners bracket I was needing but was not sure what it looked like.
Old 01-02-16, 19:22
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Here are some photos of two of the similar brackets. One has the extinguisher mount quite low, and one has it high. The screw holes in the back are different and match the brackets.

I have not taken these apart yet for sandblasting, but the high mounted one fits fine in the gunners position. Only problem is on the 2VP carrier I am working on, it is a mix of mk1 armour on a mk2 hull. I have to drill the hole through the angle iron yet for the bracket. Luckily it is through the armour (since the armour is mk1).
Thanks for the pictures Rob, Interesting on the differences in the 6 mounting holes between the two Extinguishers and the mounting brackets.

So where does the mounting bracket come into place that I drew the picture of as I have seen pictures of them in other carriers, Later model ????
Old 01-02-16, 23:53
AKA Rick Wedlock

dave, to the best of my knowledge that bracket has been on my carrier in that position since 1941, the bracket you have is wrong for the gunners side
1942 Mk1* Carrier
1943 T16 Carrier
1945 Mk3 Dingo
1941 Mk3 Covenanter
1941 Mk4 Churchill AVRE (now sold)
1944 Mk6 Cromwell (now sold)
1952 Mk3 Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1952 ARV Centurion
1953 Mk3 Centurion (breaking)
Old 02-02-16, 05:56
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy8men View Post
dave, to the best of my knowledge that bracket has been on my carrier in that position since 1941, the bracket you have is wrong for the gunners side
If you are referring to the picture I took of the mount and bracket in my carrier, yes I know it was not correct as I was just using the picture to show that the bracket would not work for that side and wanted to know what did. As Robs pictured showed that one of his and yours in the picture was different then my driver side mount and bracket.

Here is what I can figure out so far with the latest picture from you and Rob:

1 There are 3 fire extinguishers in a MK1 carrier

2 There are 3 different brackets for the mounts

3 The gunners and rear deck mounts are the same, The driver side is different

4 The driver side and Gunner side bracket are the same dimensions BUT the 6 screw holes for the mount are different on each bracket as well as the gunners side uses 2, 5/16 holes to mount the bracket where as the driver side uses on 3/8 on top and a 5/16 hole on the bottom.

So one question remains is the bracket in the drawing I did and have seen in a few pictures a late model bracket or did some one just start making the bracket different to suit their needs as I have seen that bracket in the drivers and gunners area in most of the picture I have down loaded from this site ???????
Old 03-02-16, 04:43
carrier mech

Had a look at my carrier and I had it wrong earlier. The bracket with the curl-over is for the gunners side. The curl is to give clearance for the extinguisher bracket screws. Offset is slightly different top and bottom to make up for the thickness of the small angle iron along the bottom.

Can provide a photo if need be.
Old 03-02-16, 05:41
Dave Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Had a look at my carrier and I had it wrong earlier. The bracket with the curl-over is for the gunners side. The curl is to give clearance for the extinguisher bracket screws. Offset is slightly different top and bottom to make up for the thickness of the small angle iron along the bottom.

Can provide a photo if need be.

A picture would be great, also if possible if you could give some measurements of it as in my sketch and thank you
Old 08-02-16, 05:16
carrier mech

Sorry Dave, no picture for now. Camera got one crappy shot and the batteries died. They are on the recharger now.

Here are some measurements though. They are as accurate as I can get them without removing the bracket form the carrier.

A= 1-3/16
B=11-1/2
C=12-11/16
D= .855"
E- .720"
F= 1.363"

As well, the folded over part (from B to C) is approx 1.22.

It's only -7° out there right now, but the old bones are liking the cold less and less every winter. Better measurements will have to wait until warmer temps but I think these will come pretty close.
Old 08-02-16, 06:46
Dave Good

Thanks for the info