MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 09-01-06, 01:19
BIG MIKE

Default PAINT need sum sources

Who and or ware can I find good ww2 early war OD paint, and or how many gallons would it be for the UC? with 2 coats, also who makes stensils?Thanks

BIG MIKE
Old 09-01-06, 12:21
RIP

Default Paint Quantities

According to a 1943 Australian Military Forces order a Carrier required six pints of the basic colour. If disruptive colours were used the main colour was two pints with the minor colour one pint. And for thinning purposes, one pint of turpentine or substitute to each gallon of paint.
Old 09-01-06, 12:44

Default Re: PAINT need sum sources

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG MIKE
Who and or ware can I find good ww2 early war OD paint

BIG MIKE
Mike it also depends on what army you are making your Carrier belong to as then you have a choise of greens and other colors to choose from.

Cheers
Cliff
Old 09-01-06, 13:47
MLU Administrator

Quote:
ww2 early war OD paint
Mike,

Surely you don't mean US Olive Drab? Late war carriers were painted British Olive Drab, officially known as Standard Camouflage Colour (SCC) no.15.

H.
Old 09-01-06, 17:36
BIG MIKE

Of Course no US OD not even the Stupid star, I'm looking for early British 1939 OD (Dunkirk) or late war British Olive Drab (Normandy) more likely normandy , any places ware I can get a pint or 2, maybe a gallon? Cheers

Big Mike
Old 09-01-06, 21:16
MLU Administrator

Quote:
I'm looking for early British 1939 OD (Dunkirk) or late war British Olive Drab (Normandy) more likely normandy
Mike, when was your carrier built and which theatre do you want to depict?

Hanno
Old 10-01-06, 01:48
BIG MIKE

my Carrier is a Mk1 1942 Canadin built UC in (Windsor Can) with a 1939 early 85 HP flathead v8, converting It into a British Mk1a/ Mk2( in the transion mode when Mk1s were being
coverted into mk2's) want to do an impression of the 1st Battlion , RNF when they landed with the Guards Armoured Div in Normandy"44". Early war impression I nixed, reason is why do I want a Mk1 impression of a UC in Dunkirk when the Brits got thier Butts booted. Ja know?

Cheers BIG MIKE
Old 10-01-06, 12:37
MLU Administrator

Quote:
my Carrier is a Mk1 1942 Canadin built UC in (Windsor Can) with a 1939 early 85 HP flathead v8, converting It into a British Mk1a/ Mk2( in the transion mode when Mk1s were being
coverted into mk2's) want to do an impression of the 1st Battlion , RNF when they landed with the Guards Armoured Div in Normandy"44".
Mike, check this British AFV Camouflage WW2 sheet and the other publications by Mike Starmer. He´s the world´s leading authority on paint colours and camouflage schemes. Use his paint mixes to make an example, and have it matched and mixed at your local paint shop.

H.
Old 10-01-06, 15:29
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Who and or ware can I find good ww2 early war OD paint, and or how many gallons would it be for the UC? with 2 coats, also who makes stensils?
Mike, check out the thread,"correct post D-Day paint for CMP" and look for Steve Kantner's reply to my question. He sent me a paint swatch of the colour (Dog Turd Brown) he used to paint his carrier. I took it to the local paint store and they matched it perfectly. It looks great on my CMP and really stands out from all the O.D. down here. By the way, he lives up around your neck of the woods, somewhere in Pa. if I remember.
Old 11-01-06, 23:19

Default Two choices....

Mike,

As has been pointed out, for your year carrier you have really two choices, the "Dog turd brown" that was mentioned, I believe that "khaki Green" would also be an option for you, you'd have to check the website references.

I personally really like the khaki green colour myself, and was/had painted my C15A in it (when I still had it). Jordan (who I'm suprised hasn't chimed in here) colour-matched some original parts to get some khaki green paint, so he could possibly provide you with a formula.

...of course, to my eyes, the stuff he colour-matched looked almost exactly like the "Khaki-green" paint available on the restoration market today (Can't remember the code, I think it's 34087, offered by many paint coating makers) but you might see things differently

Hope that helps a bit. Paint is always a tough subject too, as wear/other issues will also cause the colour to change as well...lighting, yadda yadda. Quite frankly, for me, pick a colour that you like, that is in an accurate colour range and spray away....

Tim
Old 12-01-06, 02:53
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Who and or ware can I find good ww2 early war OD paint, and or how many gallons would it be for the UC? with 2 coats, also who makes stensils?Thanks

BIG MIKE

Mike, if you O.D., try RAPCO parts co. in Bowie Tx. they have a large supply of Early WW II O.D. as well as Late WW II O.D. at:

www.rapcopartscompany.com or (940) 872-2403

CHIMO!
Old 14-01-06, 17:28
Stephen Kantner

BIG mike, I PM you about the color sample.
And In order to get the BIG in front of your name you have to be a minium of 300lbs
BiG Steve Kantner
owner of MOLLY CT113354
Old 14-01-06, 17:50
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by 42mk1carrier
BIG mike, I PM you about the color sample.
And In order to get the BIG in front of your name you have to be a minium of 300lbs
BiG Steve Kantner
owner of MOLLY CT113354
Hey Steve, thanks again for the paint swatch you sent me. The paint store matched it perfectly and the truck looks great!

From Medium Derek Heuring (235 lbs.) LOL!

CHIMO!
Attached Thumbnails
imag0393 (1) (1).jpg  
Old 14-01-06, 19:05
BIG MIKE

Let me tell you ware the "BIG" comes from in my family, all the little niecs and Nephews are all are tiny , my dads side is a little sislians and moms family are all BIG English Irish, plus thier are 5 mikes I'm the Biggest so the name stuck "IT's BIG MIKE" i'm not 300lbs but i my tower over you at 6'5" and Thats BIG enough, GET it? I know my 3 Boys will be as big as me I can tell, oldest is BIG AIDAN, Identicle Twins Bro's BIG BRENDAN, and BIG CAMPBELL, and maybe another Boy down the road???, CHEERS

BIG MIKE
Old 15-01-06, 17:20
Stephen Kantner

Derek, You truck looks GREAT!!!! too bad we live at diffrent ends of the country,I would love to get a pic of our vehicals together
I have been adding some of the boxes that my carrier is missing, I bought the repro boxes that Mid west military Is making.So at some point in the spring I will have to get more CC#2 made up to paint the new boxes. In 2 weeks I am going to FT Indiantown Gap for the battle of the buldge reenactment I will post some pics
Glad I could help
BIG Steve or maybe FAT Steve
Old 15-01-06, 17:38
BIG MIKE

Have Fun at the Gap BIG STEVE, This is my 1st year i'm missing in the last 10 years i've been going thier with my unit , accually the hole units taking it off, maybe since we don't have to walk anymore were getting to lazy and want the carrier finished. Steve as I pm ja on how many galloons would it take to do the carrier in 2 coats with sum extra?, if your making sum paint , can you make me a couple of Gallons?, I'll pay Ja for your time too., I hated sleeping in those GAP barracks TOO DAM HOT!!, anywho will be expecting an "after action Report" when you return from the GAP Crusades ! Cheers Mate

BIG MIKE
Old 17-01-06, 00:35
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default C15 mods

Hi Pukka Sapper:

Your C15 has some really interesting front end mods. Any chance of you posting a close up?

Ubique! Mike (not BIG but getting rounder 'round the middle )
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 17-01-06, 00:47
BIG MIKE

WHAT is a Pukka Sapper? , Some kind of Finnish Fish? lol

BIG MIKE
Old 17-01-06, 01:07

Default Pukka Sapper

Ah, BIG Mike; to learn that you must be able to stand on your head while drinking beer... there are secrets of the trades we don't share with everyone!

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 17-01-06, 01:10
BIG MIKE

Pukka ja its a Name , I own 12 Puukko knives plus own a lot of ww2 Finnish gear , Sapper , A Pioneer one who carrier's an Ax or a shovel , I own Pioneer sapper stuff dating back to 1812, so whos telling who , ?? laddy

BIG MIKE
Old 17-01-06, 15:59
Stephen Kantner

Tall Mike Your paint sample went out in the mail today
your humble servent
BIG steve
(I look like a vollyball with legs)
Old 17-01-06, 16:13
BIG MIKE

AH you look normal BIG STEVE cuz you got the Ride , that makes everyone say WOW a BREN CARRIER, I know guys who look like a pear or a raindrop with legs now thats funny, Cheers

YHOS

BIG MIKE
Old 17-01-06, 17:01
Derek Heuring

Default Re: C15 mods

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
Hi Pukka Sapper:

Your C15 has some really interesting front end mods. Any chance of you posting a close up?

Ubique! Mike (not BIG but getting rounder 'round the middle )
Firstly, thank you for bestowing the title of Pukka Sapper upon me. One can only dream of being elevated to the lofty heights of Lord, O.B.E., Knight of the Bath, and of course, Pukka Sapper! I am truly honoured!
Yes, my truck has several interesting modifications, to name a few: front end, raised cab height, roll up windows, left hand drive, lengthened frame, and rear mud guards. I built a temporary stakeside box so that I may use it until I can find or fabricate something more original. You can see a pic of the front axle in the thread CMP ID need help. My truck is from Argentina and it appears they love to modify CMPs down there. I've been communicating by email with Juan Prien of the T16 thread. He sent me a pic of his friend's CMP which has a perfectly vertical windscreen.
Old 17-01-06, 17:02

Default Brad's carrier and Pukka Sappers

Hi Brad:

I'll be back in your neck of the woods on 5 Feb and staying until 25 May (barring a couple of short jaunts back to Ottawa) so I'll make sure we get together so I can drool on your carrier!

BIG Mike:

Here's a hint- "pukka" is the anglicized spelling of a Hindu word adopted by the British army during the Raj.

Cheers, Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 17-01-06, 17:07
Derek Heuring

Quote:

BIG MIKE

Hey Gunner, think we should enlighten Big Mike? Think an infantry grunt could comprehend the finer points of "Pukka-dom"?

Sapper and Gunner :dh: Infantry grunt.
Old 17-01-06, 17:08

Default CMP mods

Hi Derek:

The range and breadth Carrier and CMP mods is staggering (had to put 'carrier' in there so we aren't accused of thread hijacking!)

I just noticed that your truck has a one piece windshield as well. Wow!

As for BIG Mike- what the heck... you're the Sapper; I didn't want to give away any of your Corps traditions without a review by you other chaps who share Ubique with us poor simple Gunners... might not have been pukka you know!

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 18-01-06, 07:02
Derek Heuring

Quote:

BIG MIKE
Here ya go Mike:

THE ORDER OF THE PUKKA SAPPER
1. 33. Adoption of the Hindi term pukka – meaning “genuine, of good quality, reliable” – into English usage has its origin in the days of British rule in India. To recognize individuals outside the CME who demonstrate these sterling qualities and who have given outstanding service to the Engineers, the highest honour the CME can bestow upon an outsider is induction into the Order of the Pukka Sapper. The sponsoring unit should treat inducted Pukka Sappers as members of the extended CME Family.
2. 34. The origin of the ritual is uncertain, but the myth perpetuated is that an ancient Sapper, being involved in digging a well, was so dedicated to the task that he remained at the work site for the meal break. He consumed his lunch and beer while hanging, inverted, from a cross-brace. The initiation ritual normally takes place in a mess or equivalent institution. The senior Engineer present invites the initiate to join the fellowship, describes the initiate’s contribution to the Engineers, and explains the significance of the ritual to those assembled. This having been done, a demonstration may be given of how to consume a drink while in an inverted vertical position. While originally requiring the consumption of an alcoholic drink, Canadian Forces policies require that there be no coercion on any occasion that would encourage the consumption or immoderate use of alcoholic beverages. The initiate selects the drink of choice and, if necessary, is assisted in achieving the headstand. After consuming the drink, the Pukka Sapper is presented with a scroll signed by the inductor and the senior Engineer present. The ritual is no longer practised unless the inductee wishes to perform the feat. The current practice is to forego the headstand and to simply present the scroll to the Pukka Sapper at a small ceremony. The CME Adjutant controls the scrolls and all scrolls are numbered and registered for historical record.

I've also included the fourth verse, my favourite, of the

SALUTE TO THE ENGINEERS

Oh they look like tramps but they build your camps and sometimes lead the advance.
And they sweat red blood to bridge the flood, to give you a fighting chance.
But who stays behind when it gets too hot, to blow up the roads in the rear?
Just tell your wife that you owe your life to the muddy old Engineers!

CHIMO!