MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 07-10-19, 14:43

Can anyone post a picture of one of these keys?

David
Old 12-10-19, 10:28
F60S

Here is a picture of the key I made for my Lynx.
Not having any idea what an original key looked like this is clearly not authentic.
However the merit in showing it is to show that the business end is just a plain paddle with no subtle cut-outs.

Alastair

F60S
Lynx I MkIII*
Attached Thumbnails
Key.jpg  
Old 12-10-19, 14:21

Alastair thank you for that, pretty much what I sketched out after taking apart Peter's spare lock. Just have to get some time to make it up. Interesting you made it a T handle, easiest to grasp on to.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 12-10-19, 20:47
Bluebell

If you take the lock assy to a locksmith, they can probably sell you a blank key that fits, off the shelf?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 12-10-19, 22:05

This is a surprisingly interesting topic.

To start with, how many people would have ever realized keys would be needed in WW2 to open doors on AFV’s?

Assuming the AFV in question HAS doors, it would seem highly logical you would not want ANY kind of handle assembly readily available on the exterior of the door, enemy infantry could take advantage of using.

But then why would you even bother securing the exterior of a door on a small, open topped vehicle like a Lynx in the first place? A well thrown hand grenade or weapon held above ones head would be devastating to the vehicle crew without even worrying about opening a door.

So maybe the vehicle flips over and traps the crew inside. Rescuers arrive on scene to lend assistance. How many of them would be carrying keys for that particular vehicle? Probably none. The only keys on the scene would be with the crew, trapped inside.

I don’t think the Lynx was alone in this concept. Didn’t the Staghound, C15TA and Otter all come with some form of securing the exterior or the doors? If these were different from the Lynx style of latch, then you have now introduced ‘complexity’ into the key situation. Not a good plan.

Last thought on the matter. With the Lynx style lock, can it be operated by insertion of a standard issue slotted screw driver?

The reason this topic peaks my interest so much is my wife’s Uncles all served with the 12th Manitoba Dragoon’s during the war. One of them, late in the war, received a Commendation for his efforts rescuing the crew of a Lynx. He was a Driver of a Staghound that was following one of the Regimental Lynxes in heavy rains on a mud road. The Lynx slipped off the crown of the road on a curve and flipped over in the ditch. The fuel slipped and ignited. The Lynx Driver got out vis an escape hatch but the Gunner was thrown from the vehicle and pinned under the rear deck. Debbies Uncle stopped their Staghound and ran to try and pull the Gunner clear of the Lynx but could not. The Gunners clothing caught fire and Debbies Uncle got the rest of his Staghound Crew to rock the Lynx back and forth enough they were able to pull the injured Gunner clear.

So the escape hatches can work as intended, but if the Driver had been injured inside the overturned Lynx and unable to open the door, I doubt any of the Staghound crew would have been carrying spare keys, even though they probably knew they needed one to open the hatch from the outside.

David
Old 12-10-19, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
This is a surprisingly interesting topic.

To start with, how many people would have ever realized keys would be needed in WW2 to open doors on AFV’s?

Assuming the AFV in question HAS doors, it would seem highly logical you would not want ANY kind of handle assembly readily available on the exterior of the door, enemy infantry could take advantage of using.

But then why would you even bother securing the exterior of a door on a small, open topped vehicle like a Lynx in the first place? A well thrown hand grenade or weapon held above ones head would be devastating to the vehicle crew without even worrying about opening a door.

So maybe the vehicle flips over and traps the crew inside. Rescuers arrive on scene to lend assistance. How many of them would be carrying keys for that particular vehicle? Probably none. The only keys on the scene would be with the crew, trapped inside.

I don’t think the Lynx was alone in this concept. Didn’t the Staghound, C15TA and Otter all come with some form of securing the exterior or the doors? If these were different from the Lynx style of latch, then you have now introduced ‘complexity’ into the key situation. Not a good plan.

Last thought on the matter. With the Lynx style lock, can it be operated by insertion of a standard issue slotted screw driver?

The reason this topic peaks my interest so much is my wife’s Uncles all served with the 12th Manitoba Dragoon’s during the war. One of them, late in the war, received a Commendation for his efforts rescuing the crew of a Lynx. He was a Driver of a Staghound that was following one of the Regimental Lynxes in heavy rains on a mud road. The Lynx slipped off the crown of the road on a curve and flipped over in the ditch. The fuel slipped and ignited. The Lynx Driver got out vis an escape hatch but the Gunner was thrown from the vehicle and pinned under the rear deck. Debbies Uncle stopped their Staghound and ran to try and pull the Gunner clear of the Lynx but could not. The Gunners clothing caught fire and Debbies Uncle got the rest of his Staghound Crew to rock the Lynx back and forth enough they were able to pull the injured Gunner clear.

So the escape hatches can work as intended, but if the Driver had been injured inside the overturned Lynx and unable to open the door, I doubt any of the Staghound crew would have been carrying spare keys, even though they probably knew they needed one to open the hatch from the outside.

David
David,
What has to be remembered is that the hull shape and layout followed the Daimler Scout Car and obviously the Lynx was initiated to bolster the numbers of these vehicle types for Commonwealth forces. The Daimlers had folding steel roofs up until around 1944. I have to say you would have to be a small person to get out of the door, with a crew of two. I was driving a Dingo this week and there is very little room to maneuver inside one. The door is useful when servicing a Dingo, but the thought of having to use it in an emergency is not good.
The Humber armoured vehicles also needed keys to open the hatches/doors and the keys had a female square in them. The Daimler key is not as basic in the end as the Lynx key shown.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 14-10-19, 01:17
F60S

Default Key

I was working on the Lynx today and, no, you cannot unlock the door using a screwdriver.
Alastair
Old 14-10-19, 02:18
GM Fox I

The Fox (and Otters) have a square metal shield on the exterior hull hatch over a 1/2" stud that works on a lever from the inside. 'Gerry' couldn't open the hatch (or any other) unless he had a special tool with a 1/2" square socket. The metal shield is made in such a way that a tab/handle in a crew members pocket would easily slide in and open the hatch. I expect the vehicle crew would each have an issue handle in their battle dress pocket. I use a screw driver with an inverted 1/2" socket welded to the end as my 'key'.
Old 22-11-19, 18:21

Default Kit

Guys,

Back to fitting out the interior of the Lynx. Decided to start with the largest component which is the WS 19 set. This will remain a static unit for the foreseeable future. While I now have a fair bit of the kit and tools, I am looking for the "Bag - Tool". Any leads would be welcomed. All comments or suggestions about the WS 19 setup would be welcome.

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2077.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	764.4 KB
ID:	110302 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2080.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	835.1 KB
ID:	110303

Name:	IMG_2081.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	943.0 KB
ID:	110304 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2082.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	902.9 KB
ID:	110305
Old 22-11-19, 19:17

PM sent.
Barry
Old 07-12-19, 19:05

Default Stowage questions

Guys,

Have been making nice progress in acquiring the bits and pieces to stock the interior of the Lynx.
I have not been able to make sense of item #10, Container- Bandolier and Cartridges. I had the original box replicated. The box measures 4" square and is the same as the one in the CWM Lynx. Does anyone know what actually goes in this box ? My second question is, what are the contents of item #12 - Satchel, Signal ? All comments welcomed.
Thanks, Peter

Name:	IMG_2098.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	726.4 KB
ID:	110665 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2099 (2).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	110666
Old 07-12-19, 20:25

Peter, I am sure the box for bandolier and cartridges would take one 50 round cloth bandolier of .303 I have attached photos of one I have which when folded up measures 4" x 4" x 3 1/2 "
The signal satchel would normally contain such items as the microphone, headphones and morse key for whichever wireless is fitted to the vehicle. As to exactly which items perhaps someone on the wireless forum can help?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG0036A.jpg   IMG0037A.jpg  

1944 Matchless G3L
1944 No2 MK2* UC
10 CWT GS trailer
1944 BSA M20
Royal Enfield RE125 'Flying Flea'
Old 07-12-19, 20:51

Hello Peter.

Mike is on the right track regarding the Satchel, Signals.

First thing I would check is the Installation Instructions and Packing List for the 19-Set installation in the Lynx. Usually, the kit will come with enough headsets to equip each vehicle crew member, with spares. A small crew like in the Lynx would probably have two issued sets and just one spare. The spare would definitely go in the Satchel Signals. Not much written in stone beyond that as individual crews would quickly customize the contents of the Satchel Signals for whatever worked best for them.

For example, the Morse Key in a Recce Vehicle like the Lynx, would get a lot of use. It is normally stored, when not in use, in the Spare Parts Case. Not a good idea to leave it plugged into the set. Part way in, it is in ‘receive’, but the plug could get knocked loose, you hit a bump and the key clatters to the floor and finds a difficult spot to retrieve it from.

If the key gets bumped all the way into its socket, and the crew do not notice, the wireless is now in full transmit mode with a constant tone going out to everyone in listening range.

In many vehicles, the spare parts case for the wireless is in a holder, nicely strapped down. Tough to get at when you need the morse key. I would suspect the morse key would be a logical addition to the Satchel Signals for most crew. The satchel would be in an easily accessible spot as needed.

Whatever you decide to stuff in it, Peter, was very likely done, somewhere, at sometime, by a vehicle crew.

Have fun!

David
Old 08-12-19, 18:05

Default Thanks

Mike,

Thanks for your input, logical and convincing. Now to acquire one of those 50 round cloth bandoliers and have a lid fabricated for the box.

David,

Now to find some more bits for the wireless setup. One item that is not on the stowage list is a flare gun and kit. In my mind it is appropriate kit for a reconnaissance vehicle. Under the parts section there is a "flares in container" which suggests it would be issued. I will take some liberties, which I am convinced the crews did on a frequent basis. In the same vein, I suspect that all the anti gas materials were discarded to provide more space for items that would make life more practical for the crews.

Thanks again, Peter
Old 09-12-19, 09:20
F60S

Default Key again

I recently had a "working" copy of my Lynx1 Spare Parts List made.
Last night I was browsing through it and saw the following on page 39-7:

C19SR 110353 Emergency door lock key 2

This does not move the key discussion forward much but it does confirm that two keys were issued with each vehicle. Maybe the trapped occupants opened one of the vision hatches and handed the key out to their rescuers!

Alastair
F60S
Lynx I MkIII*
Old 12-12-19, 01:57

Default Browning

Guys,

I liberated this picture from Alex van de Wetering's post on WW2 Military History and Equipment, because of the three RCD Lynx 11's in the background. The first one seems to sport a 0.30 Browning under a tarp.

Peter

Name:	IMG_2107.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	110744 Name:  IMG_2107 (2).JPG
Views: 399
Size:  46.6 KB
Old 01-01-20, 21:17

Default More small stuff

Guys,

Andy fabricated a lid for the box on the top shelf that holds the bandolier and rounds. Thanks to Mike Gurr for the convincing logic for how the box was used.

Peter

Name:	IMG_2513 (2).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	712.9 KB
ID:	111175
Old 02-01-20, 13:06
F60S

Default Installation instructions

Does any one sell copies of the WS19 Installation Instructions shown above?

Also, what are the dimensions of the tool bag in the tools illustration above?

Kind regards,
Alastair
F60S
Lynx I MkIII*
Old 02-01-20, 13:38
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Thomas View Post
Does any one sell copies of the WS19 Installation Instructions shown above?

Also, what are the dimensions of the tool bag in the tools illustration above?
Louis Meulstee’s web site Wireless for the Warrior may be of help?

http://www.wftw.nl/

Hanno
Old 02-01-20, 17:16

Default Installation manual

Alastair,

PM sent.

Peter
Old 06-01-20, 09:53
F60S

Default Lynx stowage diagram

With reference to Peter's post #791 showing the stowage diagram for the Lynx II, I thought readers might like to see the equivalent for the Lynx I.
The diagram acknowledges that a radio may be fitted (as was the case in all the Lynx I know about) but the diagram shows boxes of bren gun ammunition in its place.
Alastair
F60S
Lynx I MkIII*
Attached Thumbnails
Stowage diagram.jpg  
Old 06-01-20, 15:23

Interesting, Alastair.

The Lynx I setup is probably a direct, or very close to, match for how the Dingo was equipped.

David
Old 06-01-20, 19:12

Default Thanks

Alastair,

Thanks for posting the stowage diagram for the Lynx 1. My stowage diagram for the Lynx 11 does not have a view of the interior of the front bin. I'm confident that radio equipped Lynx's have a different stowage arrangement but it provides some good hints.

Thanks again, Peter
Old 23-01-20, 02:53

Default Latest

Guys,

While I am confident that my Lynx was never equipped with a sun compass, the brackets that it mounted on were fitted based on all the evidence that I can find. Mine were missing until Alastair Thomas provided me with some great drawings that Andy used to fabricate them. Now primed and mounted. I've also been making some good progress on assembling on gathering the kit, again thanks to some good friends on MLU.

Peter

Name:	IMG_2150.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	631.5 KB
ID:	111607

Name:	IMG_2138.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	831.9 KB
ID:	111608
Old 03-02-20, 05:00

Default Winter doldrums

Guys,

Ever since I had an incident of front wheel shimmy after hitting a bump at speed, I had become uncomfortable on how I had set the front wheel bearings.

With Robin's assistance, I was able to persuade Gerry Foster to visit and reset the front wheel bearings "by the book". Next on my list is to have the wheel assemblies balanced by a heavy truck shop. Now looking forward to this spring's first run.

On a cosmetic note, I was able to source original hose clamps from Early Ford, SC. Took a total of 16, but the engine compartment certainly looks better.

Peter

Name:	IMG_2156.JPG
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	111786

Name:	IMG_2161.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	111787

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	793.9 KB
ID:	111788
Old 04-02-20, 06:42

Default Who will do the balancing....?

Keep us posted of who/where that will do your wheels........ could not find anyone in the rural area East of Ottawa....even farm tractor tire shops doing truck tires. Most have suggested moving the tires around in different locations and adjusting to lower or higher pressure..... and it did help!!!!
Canada
Old 05-02-20, 02:33

Default Success

Bob,

Benson Tire, 61 Enterprise Dr, Belleville. Took two tires there this afternoon. It took me longer to persuade them, than it took to balance the wheels. Done while I waited. Next two for tomorrow. 79$ for the two. The worst wheel/tire took 4 ounces to balance.

I believe that Benson Tire is a chain of stores and I suspect that there is one in the Ottawa area.

Peter

Name:	IMG_2166.jpg
Size:	514.7 KB
ID:	111798
Old 05-02-20, 03:55

Some Benson locations (including Bob's nearest in Rockland) are basically auto parts stores but there is at least one location (2020 Bantree) in Ottawa that does tire service. KalTire is in the same area (Sheffield (not Shefford) Rd) and also does heavy commercial and construction tires.
Old 05-02-20, 17:27

Default Balancing

Took 9 ounces on one of mine. I think if the sidewalls were heavier and thicker they wouldn't have needed the balancing.
Old 05-02-20, 17:28

Default Balancing act......

Must balance my cheque book first.

Thanks Doug and Grant.....on the to do list for Spring....... so 5 tires at $40.00 each........

Bob C
Canada